PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram for 6 weeks - much worse - coming off?

Gareth
28-07-10, 14:31
Hi all,

I took Citalopram for about 10 months back in 2005/2006 when I first suffered with anxiety and depression. They were a godsend for me, worked so well once I got to my effective dose of 40mg.

I got ill again in July 2009, and started the Citalopram again 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately a different experience this time. I've felt much much worse ever since being on them, and in particular, when I went up to 30mg I took a huge nosedive - I felt like I didn't exist, literally couldn't move or function in any way for 3 days. Was very scary as this was the first time I couldn't work since I've had anxiety, and anxiety has so far taken everything from me except work, my wife, my home... The ability to work is all I have left.

So... I'm coming off them. I can't work like this, I need to know what is me, and on the drugs, I don't know what is me and what is the side effect of me messing with my brain chemistry.

Any thoughts from anyone? Would love to hear your advice and experiences. I am already back down to 20mg (for past week) and thinking of going down to 10mg for another couples of weeks and then stopping. I understand the "real" anxiety and the "real" depression will come back, and to be honest I can't remember if it was worse than this! I guess I'll find out soon.

be well,
Gareth

keta
28-07-10, 14:37
Hi Gareth

My opinion is you should stick with it for little bit longer decrease your dose to 20mg and see how you feel on that for a while, maybe 30 mg was too strong for you. These tablets take month or two to kick in properly and you will still have down days, I do after 3 months of being on them and i still have some crap side effects. I think 6 weeks is not long enough for you to stop taking it. But obviously your decision or speak to your GP about it as well.

Keta

calm
28-07-10, 14:49
hi gareth....i'm with above.....i have only been on them since the 9th july this year....they havent kicked in but i am optimistic that they will.
speak with your gp gareth.....i wouldnt just stop....i have done this in the past with other meds and it has landed me where i am now.....please please get advice xxxx
this time i am not going to stop i am going to continue and go forward - do keep us posted xxxxx:)

JT69
28-07-10, 15:16
Hi Gareth,

I would stick with 20mg for a while also if I was you. Perhaps as Keta said above 30mg was too strong for you. The meds take some time for you to get used to and especially at 30mg after 6 weeks.

I would definatley give the 20mg dose a bit longer...what do you have to lose??

Take care.
Jo.xx