PDA

View Full Version : Please listen - did venlafaxine/effexor work for you?

mumoftwo
28-07-10, 15:12
Ive posted my history about my anxiety before.

To make this as brief as possible I was on 75mg of venlafaxine for 8 weeks, felt no improvement so my pdoc upped it to 150mg and that was 7 weeks ago.

Altogether ive been on this med for 15 weeks, with more low days than high days.

How long do you give a med before you throw the towel in?

My pdoc told me these meds were ones that are prescribed when other AD's dont work (ive previoulsy tried prozac, which always worked for me for the past 10 years but didnt this time and mirtazapine, which stopped working) Im going to see my pdoc again on Monday, and i dont want him/her to fob me off by saying give it another couple of weeks.

Has anyone taken longer than 15 weeks to see an improvement?

thanks for listening

mumoftwo

:weep:

Dahlia
31-07-10, 12:01
I saw a slight improvement in my anxiety on 75mg, then nothing more when I upped it to 150mg. Frankly, I didn't feel Effexor did a whole lot for me, and I took it for 2 years. You could try giving it another couple of weeks, to see if it does anything (you're come this far, after all).

There are other SSRIs to try, however, for anxiety. Seroxat and sertraline are the best known for anxiety - and lots of people on here have had success with Citalopram.

In my experience with SSRIs, I've seen an improvement within around 4 weeks.

Dahlia