PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with counselling

EebyJeeby
21-02-06, 22:39
Having reached something of a plateau with my anxiety, my doc has referred me for some counselling and possibly CBT. He referred me to a private hospital locally that does alternative therapies as well as a range of types of counselling.

They have a registered CBT therapist there (£50 a session) and the other counselling costs £30, which I think is pretty reasonable. Apparently, they also do low-cost counselling too - not sure what that is yet but will try to find out.

Anyway, I spoke to the counselling team leader today and she was so nice - she explained that going headlong into CBT might not be necessary as many of the other therapies deal with anxiety. She suggest I tried a different type first and if it doesn't seem to help, I can just say and they'll happily let me see someone else. They all work together as a big team and they are sure they can help.

I can't wait - I have already got my assessment appointment (just 5 days after my initial call!). They also have a nutritional therapist, a herbalist and lots of others. I have been given Citalopram for underlying depression but I haven't been brave enough to start them yet. They suggested I tried some natural anti-ds, if I felt happier with that. Not sure yet - we'll see.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it and I will let you all know how I get on and what they actually do. It may be of interest to those thinking of starting this kind of treatment.

Fingers crossed...

Eeb x

Trish
21-02-06, 22:47
Just wanted to wish you all the best...you sound really positive, which is great.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on.

Trish

nomorepanic
21-02-06, 23:10
Great news!

Keep us posted on the progress and keep a diary on here so we can all see how well you do.

I am so pleased for you.

xx

Nicola

EebyJeeby
21-02-06, 23:19
Thanks for the encouragement Trish and Nic. I think I'm most looking forward to the attention lol!

I will keep a diary on here as suggested.

Eeb x