PDA

View Full Version : fearing the worst

panic140671
25-02-04, 18:42
Does anyone else think that the symptoms that they are feeling are something life threatening?

If I have a stiff neck I think meningitus,
strange feelings in head or headache I think brain tumour or stroke,
racing heart or sharp pains in chest - heart attack,
strange vision - tumour of some sort,
pain in leg - blood clot.

My main fear is getting cancer.

I get lots of different symptoms, some more than others and I always think it is something deadly. I try to challenge my thoughts and convince myself it is anxiety/panic but nothing seems to work.
I have been to the doctors but they just say "oh it is panic". I dont know what to do.

sadie
25-02-04, 20:49
Hi Panic,

I think everyone who suffers anxiety and PA feels like you at some point. I know from my own experience thats exactly how I think and feel. I used to believe I was going to die of every serious illness there is..but Im still here 3.5 yrs later and I suffer the same symptoms as you.

I suffered chest pains for 3 yrs and was convinced I was having or going to have a heart attack but after 3 ECG's and blood tests, blood pressure checks etc..and having the all clear, I now 99.9% believe that its just muscle tension when I experience these symptoms.

Panic attacks mimic many diseases and thats what seems to scare us sufferers, but if you have been to the doctor and they have checked you out and diagnosed you with PA and anxiety, then you need to try and believe them. Doctors know what they are talking about and to be honest they see people everyday with the same symptoms. ANxiety and PA are very common!

I know its easier said than done, but try and not worry about getting cancer or any other disease because it will only escalate your anxiety. Try and think positive thoughts..maybe consider asking your GP for some CBT? That would help you change your thoughts into positive ones.

Take care

sadie

ToniDMB
25-02-04, 21:50
I completely relate to what you are saying. I am always scared that the burning pain in my head is a tumor, that my weird vision problems are something fatal, my heart palpatations mean I have heart disease...etc. But I am struggling to put it to terms realistically. I am a young, somewhat fit, 23 year old female who has been diagnosed with panic disorder. Everything we are experiencing, as horrifying as they are, is strictly caused by anxiety and panic. I do feel deep down that this isn't a healthy way to live, but instead of worrying about what diseases you might have, concentrate more so on being healthy in other aspects of your life that you can control. For instance, I am excersizing and eating more healthy just because of my panic and since January I have lost 22 pounds. So, turn it around...turn a negative into a positive...that might make you feel better and who knows, it could also help aliviate some of your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs,
Toni