PDA

View Full Version : new and on fluoxetine

chezza
29-07-10, 16:38
im new on here, day 2 of being on fluoxetine. my doctor put me on these cause i was feeling really down and crying all the time and cant make decisions and have recently had a baby 16weeks ago so he said i was suffering from mild postnatal depression.
I never thought i would suffer from depression i suppose like most people on here and worry about being on these tablets.
I would appriciate any suggestions on how to get better and shake this feeling of feeling low and how long will it take. ive always been a happy bubbly person. so its so weird to feel down all the time and not be able to do anything about it.
Help...................

diane07
29-07-10, 16:40
Hi chezza

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

sharon35
29-07-10, 16:47
Hello and congratulations to you on the birth of your baby!
i havent got children myself so cannot comment to much but it must be hard adjusting.
My doctor also gave me fluoxetine yesterday but mine are for anxitey and panic attacks,
i dont know what they are like yet because ive only taken one so far.

I just really wanted to wish you all the best and welcome you to this site. :)

smiles
29-07-10, 16:57
Hi There,
gost this having a baby malarky really is'nt good for the health is it!! I had a baby 10 weeks ago, and having mad anxiety attacks.
good for you for getting he help you need, I was offered anti depressants but as i am breastfeedinh=g at the monent I have declined, although not sure how much longer I can carry on this way!
you will be fine just be kind to yourself

Sarah X

chezza
29-07-10, 17:17
thanks for the welcomes and replies.
Yer it my second child but never suffered with my first even though i was in a different country to all my family and was a first time mum. second time my labour was quite long 26hrs so they think that can cause it plus having 2 under 3 is so hard work sometimes. hopefully they will start to work soon i hope but its nice speaking to people in similar situations.

JaneC
29-07-10, 17:33
Hi Chezza :welcome: I had PND after my second and third babies were born and fluoxetine really helped me. Hopefully it will do the same for you. I think it is also good to try to stay active and get out of the house as much as poss, and to meet up with other mums with babies and toddlers. Hard as it is, try to make some time for yourself to chill as well. What support do you have? x

Vanilla Sky
29-07-10, 17:58
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

sarah jayne
29-07-10, 18:00
Hi, ive been on fluoxetine for 2 months now and its really helped me, i havent had a panic attack in ages ! x

chezza
29-07-10, 18:34
i have family and my fiance to which r great help. its making me feel positive to speak to u all and know there r people in the same situation. i tend to go to the gym to de stress which helps heaps. my mum is sooo good and always there if i need a break and my fiance is great to so relly lucky that way. i hope i feel better soon and u all do to

swagerr
30-07-10, 06:01
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant in a group of drugs known as selective serotonin re-uptake of serotonin. Fluoxetine is a new class of antidepressant medications that affects chemical messengers in the brain.