PDA

View Full Version : Really dont know what to do???

linworth
29-07-10, 17:03
Hi

i have posted several times about increasing my meds, and having horrendeous side effects, because the dose was too strong for me, well i decreased back down to my normal dose on saturday and feel like i am losing my mind, deep deep depression, constant crying, constant fear, and self loathing, iam desperate to get better. Could this be the side effects from dropping dose, if yes, how much longer?? cant get an answer off my doctor. Also as my increase in meds didnt work, doctor has said i am to stop my 50mg of sertraline on friday, have nothing for two days, then start 10mg of cit, I am absolutely terrified, surely i shouldnt go two day with nothing, I am at my wits end and fighting really hard to get better. Has anybody had an experience with swopping meds?

Thanks lynne

paulaf
29-07-10, 17:16
Hi Linworth, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I have lots of experience with changing meds. In total I have changed about six or seven times and it is extremely hard. Not only do you have withdrawal from the old med to deal with but the anxiety symptoms themselves and then the time it takes / side effects of the new drug til it works. The reason your doc wants you to have a break is that this is medically really important. It can be dangerous to have too high levels of seratonin in the body so you need to get the old meds out before introducing the new ones. I know this is really hard but it will be worthwhile if you new meds are the right ones for you. Withdrawing should be done under gp supervision and not too fast but too slow is also like prolonging your agony. If you are feeling really bad speak to your doc about what you might be able to do to make the process easier.

anthrokid
30-07-10, 04:08
Linworth sounds like you are having a dreadful time. I can definitely relate, I was put on amitryptiline first and it gave me the most horrible side effects and I had to keep upping them, then when I reduced them a month later to go off because they were so bad it got even worse because not only was I suffering fromt he general symptoms of the medication, I was also suffering from withdrawal and anxiety!!

Don't be afraid of changing meds though! Two days without any meds is important so that the old medication doesn't interfere with the new one. And you'll find that once youa re off these meds and have no more withdrawal from them you'll feel very relieved! The new meds will take a while to kick in, but it'll be really good to be off the current ones. It feels terrible now but when you are off them and on the new ones you won't be able to believe how bad you felt ont he current ones. Some medications just don't suit our bodies while others are really good for them!

I have friends who cannot take fluoxetine because they feel so bad on it, but I've never had a single side-effect from it. It's just right for me. You will find the right drug for you too, unfortunately sometimes we have to endure worse to get better.