PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying and Diazepam 2mg

DanniTurner
29-07-10, 20:41
I recently went to the doctors about my crippling fear of flying, she prescribed Diazepam 2mg to take 15 minutes before i get on the plane.

I have some questions about it, since i'm fairly new to anti-anxiety tablets.

Firstly what affects will it have on me? such as how will it relax me?

Also how long will it last? my flight is almost 5 hours long.

Thanks for the help,

Danni.

Baggs
30-07-10, 08:01
Suggestion: when you have a free day, take a tab so you will know the effect. 2mg is a fairly low dose and should just take the edge of things and, yes, it should last for 5 hours. Good luck. Baggs.

DanniTurner
30-07-10, 11:43
Hey,
thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately the doctor only gave me two tablets (one for on the way there, and back)
So i cannot :/

caz1625
30-07-10, 13:08
I was given 2mg diazepam for my fear of the dentist. I hadn't been in 10yrs and was terrified. I am proud to say that after 3months of work I now don't have sore teeth and I will go back for my check up in 6 months. They certainly worked for me.........calmed me without spacing me out. I get even more anxious if I don't feel in control. I also listened to a relaxation tape before my appointment. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Carol x

DanniTurner
30-07-10, 16:08
Thank you Carol,
That makes me feel more positive :)

Deva
30-07-10, 21:06
Hi Danni

My first experience with diazepam was for a similar thing: in 2008 I went to France and was scared to death of the channel tunnel part of the journey (I suffer from GAD). So my doc prescribed me 2mgs to help me with it. I was scared to to take it but when I did on my journey on the m'way to the tunnel I felt almost nothing and 2mg just took the edge off my anxiety but I still felt normal; not spaced or tired or weird.

It will help but don't expect much to happen - my GP had given me more than you have and advised me to take one in the morning of the journey and then just before going through the tunnel - she said this would have me really relaxed. But in the end I just took the one and was ok with that.

I have recently been prescibed them again for panic attacks and find that just 2mgs does just take the edge of the anxiety but still allows me to feel normal.

For me they are a wonder drug and it's a shame they are so addictive because in the world of anxiety meds/treatment they are one of the few things you can rely on to work. However, just 2mgs there and back on your journey won't raise any issues of addiction. You can expect to feel the effects for about 5-6 hours.

Pop the pill and sit back and get ready to feel 'nice' - it'll be a relaxing start to your holiday.:shades:

Best wishes, Deva

DanniTurner
30-07-10, 22:24
Thank you Deva.
I'm still nervous, but if it takes the edge off I should be ok.

That comment has really helped,
I will let you know how I get on :)

peter34uk
03-08-10, 11:28
Danni, I used to take them before flying. On one flight I took 2 and they still had no effect. You might feel wierd sensation in your face, butyou'll be fine.

peter34uk
03-08-10, 11:29
oh a a quick thing. Dont eat anything before taking them, else they wont work!

DanniTurner
04-08-10, 16:48
Oh, I didn't realise.
How long before shouldn't I eat?

chrisl
04-08-10, 18:13
HI Danni you can take them even if you have had something to eat they will still work , they just make you feel relaxed , even 2mg will if you have never had them before.:)

philbabe2000
08-08-10, 13:33
im taking diazepam for almost 2 years on and off. means 28 tabs will last me at least 4 months. i only take it when i feel down and panicky. i want to get rid of it but it seems i still need it when there's event happened that can caused stress. i take half which 1 mg if i need it. do you think im addicted with this?

tones27tga
25-08-10, 07:16
Hi there DanniTurner

I use Diazepam to fly and have done for years. It depends on the length of the flight as to how many I take - my doctor always prescribes me a dozen at a time.

For a 7 hour flight I take 2 before boarding and another 2 about halfway. I have not experienced anything other than a sense of calm! The first time I flew after taking one, my mother could not believe I was on a plane and smiling!

I have never taken them on an empty stomach - mainly because I make sure to get a good sleep and eat properly before flying, and I have never had a problem with them not working.

Good luck but I think you'll find (as I have) that thanks to these magic pills, you can fly!

maggiejan
25-08-10, 07:53
Hi there Danni - take the tablets - you will be fine! Also, try and find something that you will enjoy doing on the flight that can concentrate on to distract you - I always save the current issue of my fave magazine or indulge myself in a purchase of a new book or puzzle book at the airport. Perhaps you have some favourite music on your mp3 that you would like to listen to once airborne?

Focus on the fact of where you are flying to - how fantastic it will be when you get there and what a good time you are going to have.

Oh and by the way, another thing that works for me is to break my flight time down by the hour (or smaller if a short flight) and time check as each hour goes by -congratulating myself that there is only X amount of time left and how well I am doing etc - I really find this works and I managed to fly to Australia a couple of years ago without meds and this is after a lifetime of absolute fear and trepidation about even the shortest of flights. Oz was fantastic and the flying was cool too!!

Foo
25-08-10, 08:33
Hi
I took these about 15 years ago as I was terrified of flying. I used them on 2 separate occassions and they worked a treat. I found that although I was a little nervous it was a, normal nervous, and not a terrifying one. Since using them on 2 separate occasions I've been fine and haven't had to use them again and now fly on a regular basis with no panic attacks etc

JOHN55
12-10-10, 09:01
First time on here looks a brill site !
I am flying on Friday a 4 hour flight GP has prescribed 2mg diazipan but I am really panicking about taking them - I have also have a real nervous stomach !! Advice please...