PDA

View Full Version : Ulcerated Throat

SH2727
29-07-10, 21:50
Hello everyone,

I have had a sore throat for 3 weeks now. I finally went to the doctors on Tuesday and was told I had ulcers in my throat and given antibiotics. I am on day three now and my throat isn't any better.

I have a week long course and wondered when the antibiotics will start to kick in?

Also, does anyone have a tips to make my throat feel a bit better? :-)

I'm really worried something serious is going on down there!

Many thanks for any advice.

CJA09
29-07-10, 22:27
Oh you poor thing I totally sympathise I've had problems with my throat all my life! And Have had an ulcerated throat a few times! I've always found gargling with disolveable aspirin or gargling with Difflam, you can get both from chemist, really helps ease the pain! Just be aware of other pain killers you have taken if u swallow the disolveable aspirin. Also ice cream and ice lollies help and are a nice treat too! With antibiotics, pain relief, rest and lots of fluids you'll be on the mend in no time! Hope you feel better soon x

SH2727
29-07-10, 22:34
Thank you CJA09. I am going on holiday on Monday and totally freaking out that I won't be better in time. I have an 11 hour flight ahhhh!!! Do you think the antibiotics will take effect by then?

xx

CJA09
29-07-10, 22:44
I think you'll definately be feeling a bit better by then and the antibiotics will have started to do their job by then too! Throat numbing spray and throat sweets help too and more discrete than gargling! Hope you feel better soon and have a great holiday! :) x

shinderuko
29-07-10, 22:46
I have a sore throat at the moment. I've been drinking hot lemon and honey which is soothing the pain.
Hope you feel better soon x

Going home
29-07-10, 22:47
Once the antibiotics kick in they do their job really quickly, but don't forget to finnish the course...its easy to leave out the last few days as soon as you start to feel better but its always best to take the complete course. You'll be fine, have a great holiday.

Anna xx

SH2727
29-07-10, 22:56
I love this site! Everyone is sooooo lovely. Thank you for your lovely messages. I feel better already! xx

Deb284
29-07-10, 23:12
You know I have always found that gargling with warm salt water helps... 1 teaspoon in a glass. Dont swallow its disgusting ! Not sure how it works but it does seem to do the trick. Hope you feel better soon honey, have a lovely holiday.
Take care of you

Deb x

RLR
29-07-10, 23:18
Would you mind being a bit more specific relevant to the location of these "ulcers"?

Are you able to visualize them or are you simply feeling the effects of their presence?

I ask because the most typical form of ulcerations which develop in the mucosal lining of the oral cavity are aphthous ulcers and although they are most common in the outer oral cavity and the gum tissues, they can sometimes be observed in the lower portions of the oropharnyx, or below the level which can be observed without the aid of instruments. They are extremely painful and typically last anywhere from 5 to 10 days or so, often arising during periods of intense stress or alternatively following ingestion of copious amounts of citrus fruit. Lack of sleep can also precipitate their appearance. If the lesions appear in multiple places, it is characterized as stomatitis.

Antibiotics do not demonstrate effectiveness since the disorder is not associated with bacterial invasion.

If you alternatively are experiencing infection within the palatine tonsilar process wherein eruptions at the surface of the tissues appear ulcerative, then antibiotics would be the appropriate course of action.

Since I am unable to directly examine you, I would encourage you to continue taking all of the antibiotics prescribed even if your throat begins to feel better. I simply wanted you to be aware that ulcerative stomatitis does not respond to antibiotic therapy and must run a natural course to self-resolution.

Either way, you'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

SH2727
29-07-10, 23:30
Many thanks for your message Rutheford. I can see the ulcers at the back of my throat and they are very painful. I have been very stressed out recently and not sleeping very well.

Thanks again for your message.

eliz
18-12-10, 14:42
Regarding ulcerated throats. I have an ulcerated throat which has been very sore and the ulcers give off mucus which i cough up. they are slowly getting better. Can anyone tell me if i am infectious. can i pass the virus onto my girlfriend.