PDA

View Full Version : Mitral valve prolapse fears

infinitab
29-07-10, 22:19
Hi,

I got my echo results back today and they said everything was fine except that I have a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) with a trace of regurgitation. They assured me it was minor. However, I just went on a googling spree and found many sites staying that people have suddenly died from MVP. This has scared me a lot and all I can think about is that I am going to die a sudden death. Can anyone please reassure me? This is all I can think about now and I feel horrible.

Thank you!

ann01
29-07-10, 22:54
Hi I've had mitral valve prolapse for as long as I can remember, i think I was about 16 years old when mine was found, they said then it's very common. I had an echo last month for my fast heart rate, and again they said I had mitral valve prolapse, it freak my out and sent me into total panic cause I had forgotton I has one, which is surprising as I suffer health anxiety. Please don't google it just sends us more into a panic and increases the constant anxiety. They just told me to go for a scan every 20 years. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know.
Take care
Ann

blue moon
29-07-10, 22:57
Hello....I to have MVP,it is scary but I have learnt to live with it,just make sure you have regular check ups and take antibiotics before you have any dental procedures.I recommend not to google,as this makes you anxious and stress about it.
Petra xx:D

RLR
29-07-10, 23:00
Well, you can take a deep breath and relax. MVP is an extremely incidental finding among patients undergoing echocariography or other imaging study. Your case is simply one of thousands upon thousands of similar cases wherein genetic variations result in a technical classification of Mitral Valve Prolapse, but not one considered to be pathological in nature.

The characteristics which have you so concerned would represent an extremely rare portion of the population and the symptoms are graphically evident. You are as far away from even remotely developing this extent of MVP that you'd have better odds winning the lottery twice consecutively.

It's very important to be aware that informational literature such as that which is likely called forth by key words in a search query, is authored by physicians who are targeting other physicians as their audience. Under such circumstances, an overwhelming abundance of fundamental medical science and cardiology is excluded from the literature because it is expected that physicians have the necessary medical education and background to understand the information at its most contemporary and focused level. Do you understand my point here?

The average layperson will attempt to apply such information in a more generalized and universal context because they lack the background to properly differentiate one classification among thousands that would not apply. In short, you can't practice medical diagnostics via the internet, whether directed toward your own symptomatology or that of another person.

You'll be just fine and the incidental finding of MVP with mild regurgitation will never rise to the occasion of producing symptoms or place you in harm's way.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

infinitab
29-07-10, 23:16
Thanks for the reassuring words! I have been suffering with anxiety for over 4 years now. I have had all the symptoms (chest pain, shortness of breath, panic attacks, etc.) and now I don't know if those were caused by anxiety or if MVP had something to do with it. Any ideas about that?

The more reliable articles on the web didn't bother me as much but I read some personal accounts of family members being diagnosed with MVP and suddenly dying a month later. Those are the stories that really got me frightened.