PDA

View Full Version : Research on Magnesium and Panic

Scaredtoolong
26-02-04, 04:53
Hi Alll,

Just found this on the net, quite accidently. Looking for natural migraine relief and voila, there it was. Hugs, Susan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Anxiety and Psychiatric Disorders
Magnesium deficiency causes increased levels of adrenaline, which can lead to a feeling of anxiety. Rats who become magnesium deficient have an increased level of urinary catecholamine excretion (a by-product of adrenaline).

People who have mitral valve prolapse have also been found to have an increased state of anxiety and have an increased level of urinary catecholamine excretion, the exact same condition found in rats who are Mg deficient.

It is not surprising then, to find that people with mitral valve prolapse are usually low in magnesium, and that magnesium supplementation alleviates the symptoms of mitral valve prolapse and reduces the level of urinary catecholamine excretion, i.e. it also reduces the anxiety symptoms.

Researchers in Spain found a correlation between anxiety disorders and hypermobility. In fact, they found that patients with anxiety disorder were over 16 times more likely than control subjects to have joint laxity. If you put the study results together, then there's a link between anxiety and hypermobility, a link between anxiety and mitral valve prolapse, and a link between mitral valve prolapse and hypermobility.

These studies tell us that anxiety disorders occur in many people who simply have mitral valve prolapse and/or joint hypermobility, meaning anxiety disorders are not specific to EDS or any particular connective tissue disorder. Marfans also have mitral valve prolapse and joint hypermobility which would lead one to conjecture that they, too, have anxiety related disorders. As it turns out, a connection between Marfans and anxiety related disorders has been noted.

A study in Bulgaria also found magnesium abnormalities in patients with schizophrenia and depression. The authors thought the schizophrenia and depression caused the magnesium deficiencies, but I disagree that that was necessarily the case. When you look at this study within the context of all the other studies mentioned in this section, it is more likely that the magnesium abnormalities caused the mental illness. (There are quite a few studies on magnesium and mental illness on Medline. I just included a few to highlight my points.)

In a study from England, there was a strong association for more disturbed and excitable patients to have abnormal (either high or low) magnesium levels. The authors thought that the patients who seemed most disturbed may have some abnormality of magnesium metabolism.

Magnesium is a must. The diets of all Americans are likely to be deficient........Even a mild deficiency causes sensitiveness to noise, nervousness, irritability, mental depression, confusion, twitching, trembling, apprehension, insomnia, muscle weakness and cramps in the toes, feet, legs, or fingers.

Adelle Davis, writing in Let's Have Healthy Children

Meg
26-02-04, 18:58
Thank you for this Susan ,

I hope you're still doing great .

Many calcium supplements also have magnesium in them.
Take at night and benefit from the calciums natural relaxant properties.

It's quite rare for people to be naturally very low in magnesium. Check with your doctor if you have any established illnesses ie renal disease , cardiac disease as there may be contraindications to the supplements.

Most of you who have had blood tests will have had this checked routinely.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
27-02-04, 09:09
Meg

Do we get intake of magnesium through food? Or is it something our bodies produce?

Just curious - I'm not really considering taking anything else, I sound like a tube of smarties as it is!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.