PDA

View Full Version : advice please MRI scan

Jamest199
31-07-10, 12:25
:shrug:Hi my name is Jim I am a single male and have beenreally struggling with panic attacks/disorder for quite a while but just recently they have been a lot more severe and long lasting I am currently taking Diazepam 4-8mg a day which dont seem to be doing too much Have tried other meds ie Fluoxetine but for me they make things worse. Have just been referred to neurologist and possible MIR scan have had to go private as NHS appointment would be 8 weeks away and just cant wait that long as feel my life is out of control. Main problem is getting out of the front door to attend the appointments. So not sure how I will ever get into a scanner Any advice would be great

jothenurse
31-07-10, 12:55
How long have you been on the diazepam? I take Ativan .5mg in the morning and .25mg at noon. It seems to help. I tried some of the SSRI's, but I just had a lot of trouble with the side effects.
Try to tell yourself that the MRI scan may give you some reassurance when it turns out ok. Maybe the doctor could prescribe a different benzodiazpine.

margaret jones
31-07-10, 13:08
Hi Jamest
What are you having the M R I for ??? I had 1, 2yrs ago and it was a bit scary but i just knew that i needed it and tried to relax ( not easy ) .

Take Care Maggie

Jamest199
31-07-10, 20:11
Hi Maggie been on Diazepam for about 2 months now in varying doses I know it should only be short term but nothing else was working all the others just made the symptoms magnify. Maybe after visit to neurologist on Tuesday I will ask my GP for a change

Jamest199
31-07-10, 20:13
Maggie sorry sent you the wrong reply MRI was the GPs idea just in case he has missed anything so not sure whether it is head only or what

RLR
31-07-10, 23:42
Okay, we need to back up. Explain to me specifically why you originally presented to your primary care physician, why they referred you to a neurologist and why is there a potential need for an MRI imaging study, which I'm presuming is of the brain.

Once you can be more definitive, I can address your inquiry far more adequately.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)