PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I can help you

simonespg
22-02-06, 12:30
Hi,
Just a quick informational introduction really.
I am a mind coach / therapist qualified in psychology and neuro linguistic programming, as well as practising other forms of therapy.
I am based in Sheffield but I now also offer a full, one to one live sessions over the internet for people who live further a field.
I deal with many clients who suffer from anxiety & panic & phobias amongst other things, and my methods have a high success rate.
I do not offer any miracle cure, but work hard with you to change the way you feel.
There is no set way to help anyone, and all my sessions are based totally to the individuals needs.
As a past sufferer of anxiety myself, I appreciate what you might be going through at the minute, and understand the support that is needed to help.
I offer a fully supportive and confidential service, including email correspondence throughout the time you are having sessions with me.
My rate is £20.00 per half hour, or £30.00 for an hour.
If anyone is interested please feel free to email me at simon@espg.co.uk or call me on 07903 525159.

If you are able to dream it, then you are able to become it

mirry
22-02-06, 12:57
HI

Maybe I can help you ?

First of all i would like to say when i read your post the first thing that popped into my mind was this:
"another person trying to make money out of vunerable people"
Now dont get me wrong you could be the answer to all my problems,however after spending so much money on possible cures I now have come to the conclusion that a cure cant be purchased.
I have a REAL MEDICAL problem so why should I pay for a medical cure?
Can I suggest that if you were to offer your services to a "long term" member of NO MORE PANIC for free and they report great results from your treatment then you will surely recieved and deserve many enquiries.

Most People on here are Ill and therefore unable to work and pay out for costly treatment in a desperate hope of a cure, hopefully you will understand this (unlike most other therapists).

mirryx

Ma Larkin
22-02-06, 14:38
Sorry Simon, I agree with Mirry. You'll find that many, many people on this site have already had CBT or some other form of counselling, not to mention Samaritans or helplines of some sort. Then again, we all have each other & rather than spend £20/£30 an hour, we come on here & get it for nowt!

Les

simonespg
22-02-06, 14:41
I agree.
When i first started out I had issues with the fact that i felt like some sort of vulture, praying on those who were in a possibly more vulnerable position than I. Having also been through a long stage of suffering from anxiety I also experienced seeing different therapists etc in the hope of finding a solution.
Not knowing what condition you are suffering from makes it hard for me to comment on your statement regarding a real medical cure.
I do not offer a cure, as this type of condition can only be cured in the main by the person themselves, and people suffering from this type of condition should not look anywhere but within for the cure - This is the first major step. What i offer is all of the tools that are required to enable a cure. WTogether we look at root, short term prevention and long term cure. These are tried and tested methods. Incidentally the foundations of my methods are based upon what help was given to me to enable me to 'find the cure'.
Please feel free to email me to discuss your condition. I may well take you up on challenge of being the first therapist to offer a free study.

simonespg
22-02-06, 14:56
Lesley,
I see your point as valid also. But while coming on here is good for communicating with similar people, is that a possible solution to your problems or a safety net against facing them?
For instance if i had a broken arm I could discuss how to deal with it with other people who had also broken their arm, but ultimately I would have to see someone who deals with bone breaks in order to heal it.

I presume that if you had found a solution on here that you would not still be here.
Please understand I am not trying to be harsh or argumentitive but part of my technique is to provoke thoughts. My techniques are different in alot of respects to others, but this is because I have been through it myself, including trawling the internet looking for answers.

I did not get into doing what i am doing in the first instance because I wanted to make money. It was because I had suffered from anxiety, found a way of dealing with it and overcoming it and wanted to learn more with a view to helping others. I try to keep my charges lower than anyone else because of this. Quite a few times I waive the additional charge for the extra half hour, not typical with therapists I am sure you will agree.

Piglet
22-02-06, 17:01
Welcome Simon,

It's always helpful to have ex sufferers who have now worked their way through it on board.

All helpful tips and advice would be very gratefully recieved - I'm sure we all appreciate you have a living to earn but it would be marvellous if you could give us the benefit of your experience perhaps in your free time occassionally, and then possibly some may wish to take you up on your more formal offer.

As you probably realise we are all here on a voluntary basis as often affording the assistance is difficult if people aren't able to work due their symptoms.

Wishing you every success.

Piglet

Ma Larkin
22-02-06, 17:25
I can understand your points Simon, but my sentiments are I have to help myself to overcome this. I've had counselling, tried medication, drank myself half to death; you name it, i've tried it. I may be a cynic, but i've been on websites & spoken to people who have a "miracle" cure when selling their CD's or books. If they worked then we wouldn't need this website. Knowing that other people are experiencing symptoms the same as mine is as much as a cure as I can get. I don't have any reason whatsoever for suffering from anxiety & panic attacks. Sure I have some stressful times as a single mum with 3 kids working full-time, but don't we all for some reason or another, but nothing so serious that would cause panic attacks. I have no idea why I have them so changing my thoughts will not wash with me because I don't have any panicky thoughts. It just happens. I wish you well in your work Simon & hope you visit the site regularly to see how we are all coping.

Les

simonespg
22-02-06, 18:18
Thanks for the welcome piglet.
Lesley, I appreciate your response, and believe me as a new visitor here the last thing I am trying to do is get into arguing or upsetting people.
I understand you may have felt let down and even ripped off in the past by people promising a 'miracle cure (which I dont). But to declare yourself theoretically beyond help, whoever provides it, is unwise as you CAN get over the feelings and problems you are having.
What ever you say these feelings come about for some reason, you may not know why or how but they do. This is what a therapist does, they help you find the answers. One day it will click and the pieces come together, then you understand why you get into these anxious moments.
What we do is much more than this though, we provide techniques to both ease the moment and change the path of the onset, therefore preventing the attack. Only overtime with your willingness and openess will you find the 'cure'. In the most instance this begins with control.
I do understand you cynicism if you have been let down, but we are not all bad. Medication is good to control the symptoms but you find it also starts to control you, in much the same way as drink.

blondeangel
22-02-06, 19:31
I agree with you guys.
This message board is SUPPOSED to be for people who have anxiety and panic disorders to talk and discuss issues regarding to their experiences, disorders and n\for us not to feel alone.
I, myself am training to be a counsellor for children and youth, and part of my training includes learing about anxiety and panic disorders, as well as what professionalism is...and I have PD myself. I also have my diploma as an Early Childhood Educator. Anyways, if you came no here offering advice, for free, or sharing information with others...which I have begun to do since I am currently learning about panic and anxiety disrders in my abnormal psychology class....then that would be fine. But it is very insensitive for you to come on here to put in a shameless plug for your practice. I find it offensive, and it is NOT very professional of you to do this. As a professional in this field, I would think that you would have known that before you came on here simply to advertise your services.
I would have thought with your training and education that you would know this....or maybe you did, but thought that you might get some business out of this. But as you have seen from the replies, other people were offended as well....and so am I not just as a person who has to live with PD, but as a person who is going into a similar field as you are in.

blondeangel
22-02-06, 19:42
I would also like to add, that AD and PD have a biological basis for it, and as a professional in this field you should know that, and that is why medication is used....it is not just something that can be "cured"....but there are certainly ways of coping and dealing with the disorder....and ways of reducing the number and intensity of the atacks.
I am also curious to your credentials and what your therapy is called. Just curious, because as a child and youth counsellor I will be working along side with therapists of many different kinds and with idffernet approaches.
I am also curious to know if you wouldn't mind giving advice on here to others, or do you only give advice to those who pay you?
Sorry to sound skeptical, but I am.

simonespg
22-02-06, 20:58
BlondeAngel,
Yes I did come here offering my services, not out of greed but out of the fact that I can help people who are suffering from various disorders.
I agree that it has offended some people and for this I apologise, though again I re-iterate that the main reason I came here was to help.
I have never once stated that I can 'CURE' anyone, and have aired caution against people using this term. I have only used this term in quotation, unless stating that I do not offer a cure.
Whatever we do in life will upset some and be beneficial to others, and my inbox suggests that more people are willing to seek information than be offended by my post. I have also offered to 'treat' a member free of charge (see below - post to mirry).
The idea behind my post was simplistic in that I would directly target the typical person that I treat to offer my services to them. This is what brought me here. I am sorry that you and some others have found it offensive, but there is no shame in being direct, especially when you are doing so in an attempt to help others deal with what can be a most distressing problem.
My background and qualifications are in psychology and neuro linguistic programming, and my 'therapy is based upon this, as well as various 'scientifically sound' relaxation methods and techniques.
I agree that AD and PD are in part biological. One biochemical explanation for panic is that there is an over-activity in what's called the locus ceruleus. The locus ceruleus is the part of the brain that triggers a response to danger if you do not know. People who get panic attacks can be thought of as unwittingly sending alarms to this part of the brain. This causes the part of the brain to become 'trigger happy', thus causing panic. When the locus ceruleus triggers the panic response opens the part of the brain that holds our earliest memories, feelings and sensations. Among other things stored here, are all of our primal memories of powerlessness and helplessness that we experienced during infancy and early childhood. These memories come to the fore, creating panic and/or anxiety. I do take time to simplify the process and explain it to clients, as they need to understand why what happens happens.
Medication in this sense is effective, as it changes the signals in the brain. However most people, including Doctors, agree that it is possibly more important to address the roots psychologically, and progress from there.

Once again I apologise to those offended, and if someone does want to take up my offer of free treatment to verify my statements, please do feel free to contact me.
Please understand though that i can not offer this service to the masses, due to time restraints.

nomorepanic
22-02-06, 23:05
Simon

Just caught up with this post and wow has it provoked some response.

I know that you came here in good faith to help people but some of the members are very nervous of people claiming to "cure".

I was wondering if it would help if maybe we had a telephone conversation about things or some emails to try and resolve this conflict and I can see what you can offer etc.

Just a thought anyway.

Nicola

Sueblue
22-02-06, 23:32
Hello everyone, what an interesting site this is and so many of us in this situation. Thanks to the Daily Mail. I came on here quite despondent, I would dearly love to feel 'normal' again. Each day starts off quite well then a 'situation' I find myself in knocks me back. Not quite to square one - over the years my panic attacks/claustrophobia/agrophobia have come and not quite gone in varying degrees. I have coped because I have had no choice - I've cared for my dying husband whilst working full time too, my husband has now passed on and the pressure is off. I don't have to sit in the traffic jams visiting him in hospital every night (that's where I would almost abandon my car and leave it in the middle of the road). I don't have to go into the supermarket anymore with the fear that I may have to run out and abandon my trolley load of grocery's. The visits to the hospital where I had to climb all the stairs because I daren't use the lifts. The meetings at work which I have to send my apologies because I can't bear the thought of travelling on a train - imagine been closed into one of those. Can't even bear the thought of travelling in a car with anyone - unless I check the locks and know I can jump out if need be - no matter whether the car is moving. I've been invited to the cinema at the weekend and I have accepted - but will I go, I am already feeling anxious and panic stricken at the thought. Sorry for going on here - thank you for giving me hope Simon. I'm pleased to learn that once I have sorted out my 'locus ceruleus' then I could be free of all my anxieties and quite wealthy into the bargain.
If only it was so easy. Good luck to everyone on here, good to be able to share with so many in the same situation.

Paddington
22-02-06, 23:35
crumbs Simon,bet you thought you had walked into the lion's den !It is a knee jerk reaction coming from people who have paid out sooo much money to be helped and found charlatans at every turn.I think you have good intentions and the offer of a freebie will be respected by all [i hope]To be honest i have had such a negative experience with therapists that it has now become another fear!!!so do forgive sceptics,we are all truly bruised.Mary-rose

mirry
23-02-06, 09:13
HI again!
If the offer still stands I would be happy to try your programe for FREE .....If you are you willing ???

mirryx

jackie
23-02-06, 09:35
SIMON THANKS FOR COMING ON HERE TO HELP. NICOLAS RIGHT TO OFFER HAVING A FONE CONVERSATION, AS MANY OF US HAVE ALREADY PAID FORTUNES FOR HELP THAT DID NOT WORK.

I HOPE YOU TAKE MIRRY UP ON HER OFFER, AND IF IT HELPS HER I FOR ONE WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY THE MONEY.

LET US NO HOW YOU 2 GET ON AND I HOPE SOME GOOD COMES OF THIS

JACKIE

simonespg
23-02-06, 09:50
Well I do seem to have provoked more thought which is a good thing.
I understand alot of people are sceptical due to past experiences, this is a hard thing to change in its own right.
Sueblue, I am not claiming it is that easy. I was merely trying to prove my knowledge of biological matters to Blondeangel in response to his/her response. I could have gone alot more indepth but now is not the time or place. I do not mean because I would normally charge for this, I mean because the explanation is too long ofr the forum. If anyone wants a fax sheet explaining the biological processes then please email me.
It is by no means easy, and i dont think i have claimed that it is. But unless you start to get help, and help yourself, then it will never get easier, which ever path of help you choose.
Mirry please do feel free to contact me, initially via email and we will work out a course, free of charge.
Nicola, I am more than willing to speak to you regarding anything.

mirry
23-02-06, 20:51
I am really looking forward to this,
I have sent you an email and am now awaiting your instructions.

I will let everyone know how it goes;)

mirryx

simonespg
24-02-06, 09:23
Mirry,
I do not appear to have received your email, can you please resend?

Simon

Ammeg
24-02-06, 12:01
hey simonespg?
So why is it you think you can heal what our doctors have been tryin to for years?? we all help each other, and support each other which is all we need!!! if your method was sooo good why hasnt our doctors or phycologists mentioned it- or are you claiming your the only person ever to have done this??

simonespg
24-02-06, 15:26
Ammeg,
Excuse me for saying but we are getting into the realms of repetitive stupidity now.
I dont say I can cure everything and merely offer a different approach to what you maybe already receiving. To make it all sound like some big secret that only I know is ridiculuos.
My methods are based purely on founded research and proven experiences andthat is all. I am sure that many other people practice either the same or similar methods too, to that I have never disputed.
If your doctor or psychologist isnt working for you then change them, everybody has that right. But if all you need is help and support from the others on this site then (your statement), then you will not need a doctor or psychologist anyway will you?
People can only find the 'cure' within themselves if they can start looking in the first place.

trac67
24-02-06, 16:04
Hi,

I really do believe that by changing the ways we think and by finding what causes our anxieties is the way that we can overcome them.

I was on meds for nearly 8 years, but as soon as I came off them, bam anxiety hit again, the meds just masked it never actually cured it.

I think it is a good thing to have different methods of trying to overcome anxiety as not one method would suit everyone.

Good luck Simon

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

mirry
24-02-06, 19:48
HAVE RE -SENT IT ,

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE IT.

mirryx

simonespg
24-02-06, 22:23
Mirry, I have emailed you back.

Trac67, thank you for the post.
You are indeed right, this is the problem that most people do not understand. While meds are good for numbing the problem they are only covering the issue, and the issue is the thing that needs dealing with.
All too often the harsh reality of facing ones fears and issues scares people enough that they prefer the safety net of meds. I truly beleive that this will never help them long term. Just because a doctor prescribes meds does not make it the right choice. People who think so should go see their doctor and ask them what to do next. Tell them you want to come off the meds and progress. I guarantee that the docotr will nto be able to help, they will just try and pass you onto to someone else. The only reason they provide medication is because this is all they know, and any doctor would probably tell you that it is no solution, only a dulling down form of treatment. You have made a brave and intelligent decision Trac, and I wish you all the best for the future. If you ever want any help or support, feel free to let me know.

Lozzie
24-02-06, 22:30
Hi simon and welcome to the forums.

I look forward into hearing how it goes with mirry.

I hope to hear good things about you.

Laura x

EebyJeeby
24-02-06, 22:45
Hi Simon and welcome to the site. You have had a bit of a rough ride and I am quite surprised really as you are not the first therapist I have seen on this forum. Perhaps it was a bit too direct a plug to set your stall out as you did (prices etc) - if people learned you were a therapist through conversation, they may have contacted you anyway without the prompt.

However, if you manage to help just one person, it's worth it and I am a bit worried that all this negativity flying around might deter sufferers from seeking any sort of therapy, and that's not really a good thing. More choice is better than less.

Ultimately it's up to the moderators to set policy on advertising and decide what's in the best interest of the site, so I'm sure Nicola et al will give you the once over to make sure all is well.

On another positive note, you are welcome in your own right anyway as you have suffered from anxiety in the past and have overcome it. Perhaps you could let us know your story (in the Success Stories section)? It should be inspirational to others, especially as you now run your own business in the field.

Eeb x

simonespg
24-02-06, 22:54
Thanks Eeb.
I do agree that it may not have been the best decision to advertise myself in such an upfront way, but I do believe in saying what i want, as I believe everbody else should. True it may have been better to just talk to people and then drop it in, but I would have felt a little deceptive doing it this way. Much better out in the open.
I am glad to be welcomed by good people now that the majorit of drama has dispersed, and am in the process of writing out my history for the success stories.
I have welcomed a conversation with Nicola, or anyone else for that matter who have concerns about my credentials.
I just hope that this post doesnt put anyone off talking to a therapist or seeking other forms of help, as this was not my intention at all, and I hope and believe it was not the intention of others.

blondeangel
24-02-06, 22:59
well...a lot has been said since my last post, but simon you really did not answer my queston when I asked about your credentials. I too, have a background in psychology, but I also have my diploma as an educator assistant, and am working on my second diploma as a child and youth counsellor. I am just curious, that is all. I am what you might say "not born yesterday", and have experienced things in my life that although they have made me wiser, and smarter, they have caused me pain too...things I would not wish upon anyone. But that is also why I choose to go into a profession to help people.
Regarding treatment for anxiety disorders, they vary from each different disorder, and ow acute or non-severe the disorder is. For myself, I went 3 years without having major panic attacks and then they came back, for no apparent reason. I also have ADHD, which was diagnosed as I was a child, and I was on Ritalin as an adolescent. My psychiatrist had me on a very high dosage, and I began to feel depressed and had problems sleeping. So he put me on anit depressants and really strong sleeping pills called Imovane. My sister, who is ADD, was on the same mediation. When we were on vacation my sister OD'ed on her meds, tried to slash her wrists and took off, and when I finally found her, she was hallucinating, and going in and out of "herself" After that I stopped taking those medication, as well as my sister, so I am very sceptical of medication. As well, as having some background in psychology, I know that medication in most cases should be used with other treatments, like Applied Behavioural Therapy, Psychoanalysis, and other treatments. But there is no one treatment that will work on everyone. The same goes for medication...not all medication will work the same on all people.
But I am also smart enough to know that there are some people out there that will try to take advantage of vulnerable people...people who are desperate for answers. I am NOT saying that you are one of them. I am just trying ot make others aware that there are people out there like that, and to be cautious.
When you cam on here, my first impression was that it seemed very unprofessional to come on a message board to offer your services (and saying the price). I really think that you may have sounded more credible, if you stated your credentials, on your first post....becasue that is what you would do in say an advertisement in the paper.
I truly hope that your intentions were good, but you must understand why some people would be offended and/or sceptical.

floatlikeabutterfly
24-02-06, 23:01
Hi Simon

Perhaps if you set out the 'bare bones' of your method, you would go some way to allaying peoples' concerns.

Personally, I think therapy would be a great way forward for many people but trying to find a therapist who knows what they are on about is like standing under a fountain with a cup.

I spent well over 4k in a 6 month period before I found a therapy that sat right with me.

trac67
24-02-06, 23:10
I would just like to say that I think you are giving Simon a hard time here.

He only offered his services, he isn't pushing them upon anyone, and if anyone doesn't agree with his methods then they don't need to contact him or to read the thread.

Like I said before I did the meds, and I honestly think that the only way of actually overcoming anxiety is by changing your way of thinking and if what Simon does helps people to overcome it then he is doing a good job.

Have you actually thought that a doctor is paid to prescribe meds as it is his job, so Simon charges for his services as this is his job.

I think the harsh comments really arent called for.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

simonespg
24-02-06, 23:12
BlondeAngel,
I agree with many parts of your post, especially with regards to meds, and with the statement regarding vulnerable people. I will agree with you that I am not here to take advantage of anyone, this record is straight.
On a credential basis I do think that I DID state this in my first post to some extent. But for the record.
Dip Psychology, Dip Advanced psychology, working towards a Doc Psychology
Dip Sports psychology
Dip Hypnotherapy
Dip Neuro Linguistic Programming
Dip Behavioural Therapy
Dip Developmental Psychology
As well as all of these I am constantly reading and researching any developments / theories on possible treatments.

Floatlikeabutterfly.
I also agree with you. Finding the right therapy can be tricky at times, and I hope everyone finds what is right for them. I have now tried three times to layout the principles of my methods, but everytime I do it is too long to post.
This is in part to the fact that I have nbo set guidelines for everyone, but flexible foundations depending on that person.
However over the weekend i will try and condense the basic principles for everyone to read

EebyJeeby
24-02-06, 23:14
Hi Simon,

I look forward to hearing your story!

This is a good site with many fantastic people on it and I am sure nobody really wants to put anyone off. It's a fine line to tread though and we all have to be careful how we put our point of view, due to the very nature of our conditions.

I had always been quite cynical about alternative therapies until I had an eye-opening experience with a practitioner last year, when I had frankly run out of options and had all but given up the fight. Now, I feel that an open mind is vital to recovery and am happy to give due consideration to all offers of help.

You have a living to make, your skills are relevant and you have good intentions, so I wish you all the best.

Eeb x

nomorepanic
I think the main issues here are as follows:

A new guy comes to forum and claims to help/cure people

He charges for this

I always tell people to get professionals from the recognised lists of therapists.

Everyone is sceptical of talking to new comers that can claim to help but no-one knows who they are.

Simon - you can help in the following ways

Are you registered with any recognised bodies atall?

Do you have any feedback from anyone you can give us?

Nicola

simonespg
Thanks Trac, you comments are spot on.
However it is also good to hear peoples thoughts / opinions on therapy and therapists.
I do feel like I have opened a can of worms.

But talking is one of the best medicines :D

simonespg
24-02-06, 23:20
Nicola,
I have an application of registration pending for 'CCC Registered Counsellors'
I agree that people will be sceptical, and that my first post could have been better done.
Client confidentiality is the most important thing to me, so feedback may be difficult. This was also in my mind though when I offered a free service to Mirry (what better feedback than from a fellow member?)

floatlikeabutterfly
24-02-06, 23:21
This is in part to the fact that I have nbo set guidelines for everyone, but flexible foundations depending on that person.

Sounds promising :-)

My experience of therapy, and i can only talk from my own experiences, was that therapists were trained up to a particular discipline and tried to force a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.

It was not person centred, particularly.

But at the time, I was quite happy to write the cheques out out of desparation.

I do also totally agree with what you say about a 'cure from within'. The problem, I think, is many therapists market themselves as having 'the holy grail cure', but actually what a therapist does is lead the person through the maze. This is possibly why current sufferers have such an ambivalent relationship with therapy and therapists.

floatlikeabutterfly
24-02-06, 23:26
Evening all, by the way :-)

simonespg
24-02-06, 23:28
Float this is exactly my point.
Too many therapists are trained to one discipline and have a set way of dealing with everyone, which is why it doesnt work particularly well. However, as you say, alot of people are quite happy to pay them out of sheer desperation, I know, I was one of them previously.
This is why I try to learn as much as possible from a wide varitey of sources. If people are to pay for therapy then they deserve to have therapy that is right for them. If I cannot provide that, i tell them at the earliest possible time, usually in the first session, which I then do not charge for but try and recommend an alternate path to choose.
You are absolutely spot on with your comment regarding the so called 'cure', which i have been critical of from the start. A good therapist only helps to try and piece the jigsaw together, not tell the person how it should be done.

blondeangel
24-02-06, 23:38
I agree with Butterfly...
I thnk that sometimes you need to find the right medication and/or therapy, including the right THERAPIST. And we are all different people, and even those of us with the same disorders/issues will need different kinds of therapy/differnt combinations of therapy.
I also agree with nomorepanic...I think they have pretty much summed up the concerns on this board. Some of us are new to having panic and/or anxiety, while others have had it for a while. Some of us have found treatment that works, while others have not. Anxiety and panic disorders themselves are very complex, and there is still much research being done in those areas.
I am very glad myself to find this board though, and talk about my issues, as well as hear about others. I am still fairly new here, but I have found this board to be very helpful, and interesting.
And Simon, I really hope your intentions are good, but I just needed to say my bit. I am not new in this world, and have learned the hard way in my younger years how heartless and manipulative some people can be...but I also know that there are people out there who are true at heart, and honest and really do care....it is not always easy to distinguish between the two. :D

simonespg
24-02-06, 23:43
I totally agree with you blonde.
All I can do is 'my bit', and hopefully show that I am not a vulture.
I hope by spending some time talking via this post that I may have showed a small part of my commitment and to reassure some of you that I am not just in it 'for the kill'.
However I am aware that it will only be a small part.
I hope we can all live a happy life and we all find the help and support that we both need and deserve.

blondeangel
24-02-06, 23:47
Simon..
I think often it is not so much that therapists are only trained in one discipline, it is more that they seem to practice one discipline/approach. Most people going into the field of therapy/counselling/psychology are encouraged to use a multidisciplinary approach, because often only one doesn't work. But more and more research on various disorders, whether they are anxiety, behavioural, emotional or whatever, shows that more than one approach usually shows the best results, since we as humans are very complicated, and we are all unique. I think that more people in these fields are becoming more open to using a variety of methods and approaches, and are also not just relying on medication. But honestly...right now, I don't know what I would do without my medication...and beleive me, I was VERY hesistant on taking it again. My script was on my fridge for 3 weeks until I brought it in and got it!

simonespg
24-02-06, 23:53
Fair enough Blonde, I agree with your points.
You are taking medication because that is what you are finding works for you.
But ask yourself why you were hesitant in taking it this time? Its hard for me to comment further because I do not know the extent of your illness, but while meds may provide you with a short term solution I still believe that they are detrimental long term.
This may be different for you but as I said, I am not informed enough to make a solid comment.
But whichever solution you choose, I hope you find peace within yourself.

blondeangel
25-02-06, 00:21
I agree with you Simon, and I understand fully that medication is not the only answer and often is only good for the short term. My goal is not to be on them for long. I first starting taking them 5 years ago, and after 2 years I stopped taking daily meds, and starting taking clonazapam for my minor attacks that I had, and they did become less frequent and severe. I am also enagaged in therapy, because as I said before I am very sceptical of medication, and I am a big advocate on using other means of therapy other than medication. The reason why I did not want to go back on the medication, is because I don't like to take medication every day, and would rather not. I am hoping through my therapy taking this medication again, will be VERY short term.
Plus, I don't like my PD being referred to as an illness....it is a disorder. There is a difference between mental illness and mental disorders...and I would have thought you would know that. Maybe you did not mean it that way, but sorry, I am a very sensitive person, and neither anxiety or panic is an illness.
And thank you...I do hope to find peace within myself...I think that is something most of us seek...and you too, I hope you find it too.

mirry
25-02-06, 11:35
Trac ,
I agree with everything you say.
The fact that Simon has stuck around and faced the music tells me he really does belive in his methods .
Some of us may not be sure about it but isnt that where the basis of our problems are - in negative thinking?

Lets all try and be positive about this therapy,
I will give you all a very honest account of how it goes.
I am going into this with a very positive attitude and hope you can all be positive (if not for simon but for me).[:I]

mirryx

wendy
25-02-06, 11:56
Hi Simon

Welcome to the site

I have to say I agree with the comments above, I suffer extreme anxiety and am currently unable to work due to my condition therefore 20 pounds to me per session would be impossible to pay out

I think your offer for a free session would be very kind and would also be keen to hear of results

I have received a lot of "free" support here that has helped me greatly through the dark days and as a fellow suffer if I get through this and am able to relieve people of this awful illness then would most definaltey do so Free of charge as this is something we all deserve to overcome not just be based on means!

Again though any tips you could share would be greatly apprecaited

Wendy

Karen
25-02-06, 12:55
I do agree with a lot of the comments here and many people are a little suspicious with someone new joining and offering a service with a charge. Obviously independent therapists are running businesses and do need to make a living, so I think the offer a providing a member with some free assistance is a good way to build trust.

I am a member of another forum in addition to this one and the Admins and Moderators there are all professions (except me!) and do post free advice to members of the forum. It was through that forum that I found my therapist, who initially charged me a very low figure because I am not working, and when I was unable to afford that, she allowed me to do some voluntary work for her in exchange for a session which helped me greatly.

I also agree with the opinions expressed here about a 'one fits all' type of therapeutic approach which clearly does not work. This is what I have experienced from NHS psychiatrists in the past, as well as having medication pushed onto me.

The therapist I have been seeing uses a number of techniques and tailors therapy to the individual client, which I believe is the most helpful approach.

Mirry, I look forward to hearing how you get on if you take Simon up on his offer.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

tedkay
26-02-06, 02:37
Oh Dear! I wish I hadn't read Simons post. My joy at finding this site was based on the obvious desire of the many sufferers here to band together and try to help each other by means of genuine advice and shared experiences. Then I see Simons post which doesn't fit in with that at all - dress it up however you want to but this post is a plain and simple advert - which in my view is completely out of place in a forum like this. I am afraid that if such advertising is permitted then in a very short space of time the forums will become infested with people whose only interest is commercial and the whole point of the website will be lost. :(

simonespg
26-02-06, 11:38
Hi Ted and welcome.
Not wanting to start this whole thing off again, but if you read the post in full I have apologised for the original posting, and agreed to treat a sufferer from this site free of charge, to both make amends and as a better form of advertising (referrals).
I think the matter should end there dont you?

nomorepanic
26-02-06, 13:07
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I am afraid that if such advertising is permitted then in a very short space of time the forums will become infested with people whose only interest is commercial and the whole point of the website will be lost. :(

<div align="right">Originally posted by tedkay - 26 February 2006 : 01:37:35</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Ted - I can see your concerns over this but I assure you the site is fully moderated all day every day and we are soon on the case of people advertising services that we feel are unfounded etc.

Most therapists that want to post contact me first to ask if it is ok. Simon didn't do this but when I came home from work to read all the replies and see that he was prepared to treat Mirry for free then I decided to let the post stand.

I believe we should give Simon a chance before dismissing him completely and if he helps just one person on here then that is a result.

If you come back to re-read this post soon I am sure Mirry or Simon will post an update on how things are going.

Nicola

mirry
26-02-06, 13:37
True to his word, Simon has contacted me asking me to provide him with information on my symptoms and where I get them.
He also asked when and where they began.

I have now returned the information for Simons attention.

mirryx

Piglet
26-02-06, 14:01
Looking forward to hearing progress reports:D:D

All the best.

Piglet :D

Ammeg
26-02-06, 17:14
hmmm.. just come on- 'repetitive stupidity'???- so I am not allowed to ask you questions?? not the nicest thing to say to someone with depression- but thanks anyway!!!

Trev
26-02-06, 20:12
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I presume that if you had found a solution on here that you would not still be here.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Just for the record, some people do still come on here even though they are cured. Why? To offer something back for the help they received in their darker hours and to impart knowledge gained of a condition that others may be struggling to find answers to.

Cheers,
Trev :D

carldourish
26-02-06, 23:27
Being a busy therapist myself, I haven't been on the forum for a while. I agree that the first topic was very in your face. I know that you said sorry, and that is great.

I have given many people on this forum free phone sessions, or free email information. NLP Techniques and EFT Techniques. This all adds up to people knowing they can trust you, thats the important issue 'Trust'

I have also asked Nicola's advice when offering workshops. I just believe it all comes across as Professional.

Do you have a website that others can view your service, or feedback info.

Just a thought........

Carl

blondeangel
27-02-06, 06:10
well..
Even if Simon's intentions are for a good cause, I still, think that him posting his "Advertisement" on this message board was unprofessional. I am sayng this because, as I previously stated, I am also in a similar profession, studying to be a counsellor for children and youth.
But, I truly hope that anyone here that does try his therapy finds results.
I am not bashing Simon in any way, but I am sceptical, and I found his advertising on this message board distasteful at first, and unprofessional, according to preoffessional and ethical standards for people who are in the same/similar field, as I am going into: helping people who have mental/psychological issues.
I am also speaking as a person who has issues themself. I have been diagnosed with ADHD as a child, and had Depression and Anxiety problems in the past, and now I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder.
I just think that as we should keep an open mind, we should also be careful and not beleive everything we hear, read or see. Having a mental/psychological issue or disorder is vey complex, and there is still much ongoing research in the field of psychology and in anxiety disorders (which include panic, anxiety, phobia, OCD)

simonespg
27-02-06, 12:16
I feel like we are all beginning to get caught in a circle now and feel that I have answered all questions, some two or three times over.
Carl - I have stated that I do not have any referrals due to client confidentiality. I am in the process of having a website built. Because of this lack of proof, and to make amends to the posting of this advert, I have agreed to treat Mirry. This seems to satisfy everyone but I do not want Mirry to be just a PR stunt, so again this should now be left until Mirry feels okay to discuss it.
Trev - The point I was making had nothing to do with returning 'cured' visitors. The point was that being on here is great for support, but not for treatment.
Ammeg - I apologise if you take offence but the questions had been answered already. My response was a little harsh but I had been answering the same questions over and over. However I respond in this way to you as I do to anyone, and no differently because of your disorder. This is another foundation of my treatment.
I think that just about covers everything again, but to summarise.
- It was not the best idea to post such a direct advert on here
- I am going to treat a member free of charge
- I have apologised, and my apology has been accepted by most
- I have never said I can 'cure' anyone
- If anybody has any further new questions please do feel free to post them or email me

carldourish
27-02-06, 12:29
I agree with Simon now, it appears that this topic is going around & around. The gentleman has agreed to offer therapy & he said sorry many times now. Yet this shows me that he is excited and passionate about his choosen career path. I take it that Simon is self-employed, like myself, so if your phone doesn't ring, you don't eat.

Carl.....

trac67
27-02-06, 13:19
I am not sure why Simon's post got so many peoples backs up, and why people are going over and over the same points time and time again.

If a thread has no interest to you, or you don't agree with what it is about, then hey simple answer, don't follow it.

Glad your sticking with it Simon.

And Mirry, good luck with it I really hope that it helps you mate :D

take care

Trac xx

Trev
27-02-06, 15:38
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Trev - The point I was making had nothing to do with returning 'cured' visitors. The point was that being on here is great for support, but not for treatment.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">But while coming on here is good for communicating with similar people, is that a possible solution to your problems or a safety net against facing them?
For instance if i had a broken arm I could discuss how to deal with it with other people who had also broken their arm, but ultimately I would have to see someone who deals with bone breaks in order to heal it.

I presume that if you had found a solution on here that you would not still be here.
Please understand I am not trying to be harsh or argumentitive but part of my technique is to provoke thoughts. My techniques are different in alot of respects to others, but this is because I have been through it myself, including trawling the internet looking for answers.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

..........And the point I was making is that some people on here have also been through the arm break and do know how to deal with it. They spend alot of time helping people to cure themselves and are much more than just "communicating with similar people". I just think that you should have a bit more respect for the place before barging in with judgements about a place that has been around some considerable time and has alot of information that enables assisted self help.

I accept that you are treating Mirry etc and have apologised etc. I am in no way picking on you or spoiling for a fight but I do think that some of the comments have been a little rich when you consider the work that Meg and others do purely out of the goodness of their own heart. That was my point in writing what I did.

For the record, I see no problem with what you and Carl are doing (for what my opinion on it matters!! :D). I know people have to make a living. I also have my own business. The more people that can help, the better. That wasn't my point. I'd just urge a little more consideration for the people that have already spent a considrable amount of their own time in HELPING others to "mend the broken bones", that's all.

I don't want to drag things on but I did want to make my point clear. So as far as I'm concerned, I believe I have now done that so I'll get back in my cage!!! lol :D

All the best with it Mirry and Simon.

Trev :D

blondeangel
27-02-06, 16:10
I agree with Trev...
I don't think I could say much more than what he said.
I really hope that all of us on here can find support, wherever that may be. And I don't think it is a bad thing to be cautious when seeking help...I think we need to be careful and ask questions. WE would be naive not to.

simonespg
27-02-06, 18:07
Trev,
Thank you for your comments. I understand that my statement may have been a tad harsh. As i do not know every member of the community it was incorrect to make a sweeping generalisation regarding people reasons for visiting here.

Meg
27-02-06, 18:41
*The point I was making had nothing to do with returning 'cured' visitors. The point was that being on here is great for support, but not for treatment.*

I totally object to this appalling sweeping, derogative and belittling statement referring to this site which has the best success rate of free progress and recovery on the internet.

Treatment comes in many forms and for many people the education, explanations and information available here has been enough treatment for them to progress themselves.

For others the company and interaction and sharing of tips and opinions has been their treatment and for others the links we provide and referral to other sources such as No Panic and NICE guidelines and official CBT therapist register has been key for their recovery.

I am extremely annoyed and unimpressed by your condescending attitude to Nicola and this website.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

simonespg
27-02-06, 19:20
And the saga continues.
Meg,
Though my point could have been worded a little better, the point, i believe, is valid, and people are now just looking at every detail to criticise.
This website is not, i believe, run by professional therapists with the intention of offering professional therapy.
This was my only point, nothing more nothing less. I do not dispute that people recommend types of therapy or point other visitors in the right (or sometimes wrong) direction.
*I totally object to this appalling sweeping, derogative and belittling statement referring to this site which has the best success rate of free progress and recovery on the internet.*
You say it here yourself, free progress and free recovery, but no mention of free treatment, which was my point. It wasnt meant to upset nor to provoke in any way, but it was stated on fact that the website DOES NOT offer 'free treatment by professionals' as its main purpose. It may offer treatment in various guises, but not treatment by professionals. This was my one and only point.

I do not believe I was condescending to either nicola or the site. From what i have seen (apart from the endless arguement about the same subject), the site does a very good job and serves a valuable purpose to its members in its own right.

I have run out of apologies and am starting to believe that people may just want to argue for arguements sake.
This will be no doubt proven when someone decides to pick a statement out of this reply and complain about it.
The web site is great, treatment can be helpful if given correctly, everyone is different, support is vital.

mirry
27-02-06, 22:25
Simon offers a service, I was suspicious yet have agreed to try out his therapy which he has offered for free. It really doesnt matter who thinks what "everyone is entitled to there own opinion".

We need to move forward on this now , theres no point in looking back we need to all look to the future. I am hoping that one day this horrible disorder will be more understood and treated.

My friends husband commited suicide at the weekend and it has made realise how precious life is.

mirryx

nomorepanic
27-02-06, 22:50
Personally I would like this banter to end and leave Mirry with Simon to work through things.

We are getting nowhere slating Simon. Let Mirry work with him and report back.

I would like no more posts having a go please.

Thanks

Nicola

Trev
11-04-06, 10:52
I was just wondering how things went with you guys after all? Hope you made progress.

Cheers,
Trev

EmmaJane
11-06-06, 23:16
WOW

That was interesting reading. Dont think ill comment:D

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.