PDA

View Full Version : pregnant with panic attacks and agoraphobia

lesley78
01-08-10, 00:29
Hi, i am new to all this :scared15: At the moment i am 16 weeks pregnant and i have got very bad panic attacks mostly in the day time so i stay in bed until my partner gets home from work. i have not been outside for 4 weeks. My doctors have but me on new meds which i start next Friday 6th august, i am scared cause changing my meds to new ones always gives me more panic attacks for the first few days. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care lesley :weep:

nomorepanic
01-08-10, 00:37
:welcome: and congratulations on the pregnancy.

Staying in bed is the worst thing you can do to be honest - you need to get up and be doing stuff. When the baby comes along you can't stay in bed all day really can you?

As for meds during pregnancy I would personally not want to take any but your docs know best I guess. What are they suggesting you take?

What have you being diagnosed with and why can you not go out? Was this pregnancy planned or not?

Just asking questions that may help others understand the situation more.

willitstop
01-08-10, 09:38
i totally understand your situation as i went through the exact same thing, pm me if you want to chat.
i refused to take meds whilst pregnant as you just never know what the affects could be butthat choice is yours and your only.

dont feel alone as there is always someone there to support you

sb001f8994
01-08-10, 18:37
Hi,
I was recovering agoraphobia when I was pregnant with my first son and was on meds (anafranil-it goes under a different name now and valium 2mg). These meds havent affected my son, he's now 29! I was fine with my second son but when pregnant with my third child the panic and agoraphobia returned, I refused meds as I was well off them and felt a stronger person. I got through the pregnancy with brilliant help from my gp and the mid wives. I had all my tests done at home and was all prepared for a home birth but unfortunately I developed diabetes towards the end of the pregnancy and had to have my daughter in hospital. I did it, it just shows you can do things when you have to!
Im once again fighting agoraphobia without meds, it is my choice not to take any medication as I feel this is best for me. Meds can help and if you have the support of your partner, family, friends and gp you are almost there. Nicola is right, staying in bed all day is not a good idea. I see panic as a bully that pushes you into a corner and keeps you there. Once you start fighting back and come out of the corner the panic weakens. It is hard and you will weaken from time to time but you have to stay strong and keep fighting.
Once your baby arrives you will be fine, I have found that when my kids were young I was too busy worrying over them that my anxieties were replaced with worries about the most silly of things, are they warm enough, have they eat enough, do they need changing, have they got wind...all the usual!
Good luck with your pregnancy, take care and if you need to talk pm me.

Vanilla Sky
02-08-10, 11:46
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x