PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate and stairs

tt
01-08-10, 17:01
Does anyone else walk up 14 stairs and feel like their heart is coming out of their skin.
I now don't know if it anxiety or weak legs or lack of cardio.

Tt

gladyscourt
01-08-10, 17:30
Could be anxiety or/and lack of cardio. My heart pumps faster when im going upstairs. Somedays more than others, coz some days ur body might be more tired whereas somedays it might be fine.

It doesnt really sound like much to really worry about xx

shinderuko
01-08-10, 17:40
Yeah I do. I get up to my classroom in college and feel like I need to lay down.
I know that it's just because I'm extremely unfit however :blush:

Ella_Jayne
01-08-10, 20:36
I went through a time at my most anxious that when i went up stairs my heart would beat really fast and hard. I think it's a mix of anxiety and lack of carfo. Being heart anxious usually stops us from doing a lot of exercise so I think that's a contributing factor. I went back to the gym and now I hardly notice my heart when I go upstairs unless I run quite fast. It's a normal body reaction, you just notice it more 'cause you're anxious and very aware of normal body changes. It's not a sign of any problem what so ever. You're fine.

jothenurse
01-08-10, 21:51
I have this problem a lot because when I have a panic attack, I have tachycardia and in the past have been in the ER with a pulse up to 160.
I am now trying to exercise some so I can get over the fear of an elevated pulse rate. It is very difficult though. Before I had the panic disorder - I would run, hike, mow, rake my dog for walks and shovel in the Winter. I used to be in great shape.

tt
01-08-10, 22:07
thanks everyone, I am always feared of the heart thing and it does interfer with my exercise and anything that elevates my heart which I need. I am going to keep going to the gym and beat this vicious cycle.
I hate it!

dodo
01-08-10, 23:43
I have the same fear and experience the same as you. I went on a huge long walk with big hills the other day and survived. I am still here so there can't be much wrong eh? Feeling good for it as well (apart from the aching where I didn't know I could ache, lol).

jothenurse
02-08-10, 01:19
Ella/Dodo
How did you get over being afraid of the elevated pulse while exercising?
Any tips would be appreciated.

anthrokid
02-08-10, 03:54
I walk up the stairs in my house and my heart starts pounding like some wild African drums! I'm only 20 too and pretty fit and healthy. Just bloody anxiety.

dodo
02-08-10, 10:26
Just kept walking Jo. I am fine while I am walking, it just scares me when I stop and can feel my heart going wild. While I am walking my heart is going at a steady pace, fast but steady. But as soon as I stop it's like it speeds up and then I don't breathe properly and start to panic, so as long as I start walking again I can breathe properly again and feel fine. Then after I had survived a few of the massive hills I started to think, well if I had a heart problem that hill would have finished me off!

zoe-22
04-08-10, 12:43
hi
im very heart anxious and this always happens to me im reasonably fit and healthy it anxiety trying to get the better of you try not to think to much about it i know its hard not to, i just try to ignore mine :)
zoe x

angels22165
04-08-10, 13:24
Hi, I too get this I think the thought sets it off as well, I think about what I will feel like when I get to the top of the stairs. Heart pounding, feel short of breath, and breathe to heavy then start to panic, Im like this at the moment with any physical exertion. But we should think logical and tell ourselves anyone who walks upstairs will be slightly out of breath, but with us it just reminds us of the feeling of panic attack, so we start to panic. Can't seem to get over this at the moment :weep: very frightening when it happens, but just trying day by day to overcome it. :)

Would love to exercise and be able to think right its normal heart beating fast, but just feel so anxious feeling out of breath. Anyone else feel the same? and what would you do? :)

jothenurse
04-08-10, 17:54
Thanks.

peter34uk
04-08-10, 20:21
wow....and here's me thinking it only happened to me.

Even on the tub I vary my travle to stop off or change at stations where there is less stairs! And no way will i walk up the escalaters!!

Anyone else?

blueangel
06-08-10, 01:47
I have a problem with this as well, and have had for at least a couple of years. I'm currently trying to work out ways of getting my head around it.

bamnesia
29-04-11, 01:26
Hi, just thought I'd bump this thread for a little more reassurance. I have been feeling my heart pounding wildly in my chest after climbing stairs (about 3 flights and 60 steps). It literally feels like it is trying to escape from my chest. It's never really done this before but the past few days it has been happening. I just want to know how normal it is to feel your heartbeat this way after a short spurt of exercise like climbing stairs cos I never really used to feel the heart (i would feel the out of breath but not the heard pounding). Why am I noticing the heart pounding so hard? Is something wrong? Help :(

bamnesia
29-04-11, 01:28
P.s I'm not really feeling anxious I don't think in fact I've been feeling pretty good lately but then again who knows?!