PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety and impending doom - although you would never know it!

gnome
02-08-10, 16:46
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello. I hope that by joining you all it helps me find ways to cope and hopefully some of you might find my story helpful in some way by knowing that you are not alone.

I am a 27 year old female. I guess I suffer from 'typical' health anxiety and have done for a about 10 years or so, it having got worse with knowledge! Too much knowledge is a bad thing sometimes.....

I believe my problem was originally triggered from what has now been diagnosed as IBS. I kept the pain secret for many years, petrified of what may be causing it, thinking it was the worst of course! Even once it was diagnosed I found it hard to believe that such pain could be caused by not much at all. To this day I can hardly run as it causes pain, yet this started when I was about 17. So that was many years of wasted time worrying about it and feeling that it was something far more serious.

But this is the behavioural cycle that I find hard to break. I have a wonderful family, job, boyfriend and a generally happy person. So much so that no one would ever know the level of my fears and obsession. But my mind is almost obsessed with the possibility of ill health. I am not always thinking I have particular symptoms which go with an illness (although I do this as well!). It is this 'waiting for something serious' which now occupies most of my time and is quite frankly soul destroying.

I find it hard when I see people so carefree. I wish I could be like that too and just accept that ill health and death comes to us all and we should just be thankful for what we have. But I cannot do this. There is always the background fear of the inevitable which I cannot seem to cope with. At the moment I am preoccupied with asbestos and the fact that I have in no doubt inhaled a fair amount. This along with regretting having smoked and causing possible damage. Plus strange pain in my ribs and thinking it is lung cancer. Along with the pains in my abdomen. I shall stop there!

I truly could go on but I think that is enough of an intro for now. If anyone suffers from similar or have ever found a self-help book for this sort of problem which they thought was helpful, then please let me know.

I just want to enjoy life accepting that sometimes things cannot be feared and controlled. I am always told by those trying to help that you can't worry over things like this. But it isn't always that simple....
:winks:

nomorepanic
02-08-10, 16:47
Hi gnome

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

calm
02-08-10, 18:05
hi gnome.....it was like reading myself at this moment in time!...i have crohns disease and had complications four years ago and now out of the blue i have all your feelings.
gnome.....what i am learning and it does take time is to say to myself....stop, this is not going to happen.....i am healthy, happy and contented. as i say its not easy.
i am "normally" a chirpy, happy person and no1 would really no the war i am having with these attacks......and i guess it maybe the same for you. can i ask have you a close confident that you can talk with.....it does make it easier if, possibly, they have been through the same thing.
this site is wonderful.....if you wish to personal message please do not hesitate xxxx kindest regards, tracey xxxx you will receive such understanding and help on here xxxx

Unhappy_uk
02-08-10, 18:49
Hi Gnome,

Hope this site will help you xx

wishfullthinker
02-08-10, 19:33
Hi, im new to all this too so dont really know what im doing. I have simaler worries too, manley the fear of dying which is awful so i totally understand how you feel. I just try to get on day to day and i think the fear of death for me comes from not knowing what happens and that scares me. Also every pain i have i always think its worse thing ever. I f you ever want to chat im here, try not to worry x

margaret jones
02-08-10, 20:07
Hi Gnome welcome to this fantastic site i joined last Aug and i felt alone with my H A but as you will see there are lots of people on this site who suffer like me and you .

You will get loads of help and advice also make friends , I am so much better but still look in to the site to hopefully send a message of hope to others .

Take Care Maggie xxxxx

Vanilla Sky
02-08-10, 21:15
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

cornishpixie
03-08-10, 16:01
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to say hello. I hope that by joining you all it helps me find ways to cope and hopefully some of you might find my story helpful in some way by knowing that you are not alone.

I am a 27 year old female. I guess I suffer from 'typical' health anxiety and have done for a about 10 years or so, it having got worse with knowledge! Too much knowledge is a bad thing sometimes.....

I believe my problem was originally triggered from what has now been diagnosed as IBS. I kept the pain secret for many years, petrified of what may be causing it, thinking it was the worst of course! Even once it was diagnosed I found it hard to believe that such pain could be caused by not much at all. To this day I can hardly run as it causes pain, yet this started when I was about 17. So that was many years of wasted time worrying about it and feeling that it was something far more serious.

But this is the behavioural cycle that I find hard to break. I have a wonderful family, job, boyfriend and a generally happy person. So much so that no one would ever know the level of my fears and obsession. But my mind is almost obsessed with the possibility of ill health. I am not always thinking I have particular symptoms which go with an illness (although I do this as well!). It is this 'waiting for something serious' which now occupies most of my time and is quite frankly soul destroying.

I find it hard when I see people so carefree. I wish I could be like that too and just accept that ill health and death comes to us all and we should just be thankful for what we have. But I cannot do this. There is always the background fear of the inevitable which I cannot seem to cope with. At the moment I am preoccupied with asbestos and the fact that I have in no doubt inhaled a fair amount. This along with regretting having smoked and causing possible damage. Plus strange pain in my ribs and thinking it is lung cancer. Along with the pains in my abdomen. I shall stop there!

I truly could go on but I think that is enough of an intro for now. If anyone suffers from similar or have ever found a self-help book for this sort of problem which they thought was helpful, then please let me know.

I just want to enjoy life accepting that sometimes things cannot be feared and controlled. I am always told by those trying to help that you can't worry over things like this. But it isn't always that simple....
:winks:
OMG! You have just described ME down to a tee! Im so moved by what youve written that Im almost in tears with relief that I know someone else is out there thats nigh on the same as me! Im not happy that someone else feels as bad as me obviously but just knowing that Im not alone is kind of comforting! Sad fact is that Im a mental health nurse, There is no escape from this horrible doom!:weep:

manda-73
05-08-10, 15:16
hi gnome

Just wanted to say hi

Im 36yrs old and have a 6mth old baby boy. I have suffered with health anxiety/depression since i was 20yrs old to varying degrees. Until i gave birth in january i had been off all medications for about 3 years after gaining new confience and meeting a truly wonderful partner (its amazing what love can do!) I suffered a breakdown postnatally and found myself taking the dredded pills again (fluoxetine - prozac) which seemed to suit me and i felt i was on the way to a quick recovery. When they upped my dose to double it didnt seem to agree with me at all and i was advised to come off it altogether and start citalopram, given for depression and panic disorder amongst others. I like you have a loving supportive family and people are somewhat unaware of my circumstances. Health anxiety is a daily battle of mind/body and its good to know you are not alone in your struggle.

love

:)

Amanda