PDA

View Full Version : New job and emetephobia / agoraphobia

fuggamoose
03-08-10, 08:21
Hi,

I suffer from emetephobia which has lead to agoraphobia because I fear of being ill in public. I've managed to overcome the worst and had a job and was fairly settled. Last month I was made redundant so was forced to go for interviews. I managed most of them but they were very difficult for me and set my anixety level on high.

I was lucky enough to find another job and yesterday was my first day. I was so nervous throughout the day that I couldn't eat anything and my anxiety level was overboard. About 3 I started feeling sick and had a huge panic attack I had to go home.

Now I feel awful. I don't feel like I can go in again and depression is setting in. I can't stop crying and I just feel like I'm drowning.

My partner doesn't understand and he's worried I'm going to lose my job.

What can I do?

Vixxy
03-08-10, 08:56
Have you tried taking an anti emetic? It might help you to get past the fear youre going to be sick.
You know you can do this, youve done it in your previous job. Youre just feeling unsetlled and that will pass soon.
Good luck

lucyy_21
04-08-10, 00:09
wow, well done for going in that is a huge step! :D
i'm kind of in the same position and all i would say is you have to keep going. Have you tried bachs rescue remedy? Try talking to people at work, make friends it'll take your mind of it.
Also this saying always helps me 'Feel the fear and do it anyway'
Who cares? Be scared, think of it as a thrill, think of yourself as an adrenaline junkie ;)

Also, maybe if you tell your boss your problems he/she will be understanding, and at that might give you some relief to know that it you really have to leave, you wont have to expain or make up an excuse.
I don't have emetephobia, just agoraphobia and i also started a job a couple weeks ago so i can almost relate to how you feel.

I really hope it works for you, let me know how it goes?
:) Lucy x

paulaf
04-08-10, 15:20
Poor you - i have been there, felt sick and gone home in case i actually was sick or got worse. Have you ever tried those motion sickness bracelets you can get for travelling? They are meant to stop you feeling sick, but I reckon what will help you not feel sick in the first place is if you lose the fear of being sick (its a horrible chicken and egg situation and I am exactly the same). Things that might help are CBT, speaking to your doc about medication and maybe emotional freedom technique for the phobia? I think telling your manager might help too, just the knowledge that someone at work knows what you are going through. Hope you feel better x

fuggamoose
04-08-10, 19:01
Thanks for the messages guys! I went to the doctors yesterday and he prescribed me some anti depressants.

Something switched in me yesterday afternoon and I thought JFDI! I got really angry at the anxiety and I went into work today and did really well! I stayed the whole day and managed to eat and even relax a bit.

I am so happy and proud of myself! :D

fuggamoose
04-08-10, 19:01
Oh by the way, I did all of this without taking any medication either!! Woooo!! :D

paulaf
04-08-10, 22:29
Good on you! that's great news, are you going to take the medication or try without it? Either way, long may you continue to feel better x

Vixxy
05-08-10, 08:41
Well done!

fuggamoose
07-08-10, 09:28
I'm going to keep going without the meds and see how I go. I've finished the first week now and each day I was relaxing more and more.