PDA

View Full Version : Iron infusion ??

pb
03-08-10, 08:46
Saw gp yesterday who said that despite taking iron tablets my iron is still low, have been referred to hospital for an iron infusion.
Feel reallt scared, has anyone had this,
Thinking i will just carry on with iron tablets as they have worked in the past and i have missed a few as they do make me constipated- can anyone help ..

countrygirl
03-08-10, 10:16
An iron infusion is just through a drip - better than having to have a blood transfusion!! My mother in law has chronic anaemia which becomes dangerously low everytime they try her on aspirin ( she is 87yrs old!) and she has to be rushed into hospital for up to 3 units of blood - this has happened at least once a year for past 5 yrs so she has had loads of blood and it always fine afterwards.

Personally I would rather have the iron infusion than end up like my mother in law being rushed into hospital and being an in patient having blood tranfusions.

has your Gp said why you are so anaemic??? There is nothing sinister about my mother in laws she has been anaemic all her life since a child.

jinglebells
03-08-10, 10:19
I don't know much about an iron infusion but I do know you can get liquid iron. It is aimed at pregnant woman but anyone can use it. It is available on prescription and souch more effective than iron tablets and without side effects. It comes on small tubes and looks like water, just add to a glass of orange juice. It's called spatone. The reason it isn't commonly used is cost!! Hope this is of some help.