PDA

View Full Version : Irregular bleeding and spotting and I'm petrified

betty72
03-08-10, 14:07
Hi everyone. For 4 months now I've been experiencing irregular periods and spotting. I've always been regular every 28 days and before it went all over the place I started getting them 24 days and bled for a bit longer than I normally get. I'm 38 a non smoker and not on the pill because I'm single at the moment. I went to the doctor today who is unfamiliar to me and not that helpful and she did a pap smear (think that is what its called) which I get results for Friday and I've got to phone and have a blood test when my period starts again. Whenever that is! Also waiting for appointment for pelvic scan. The trouble is I'm panicking that its ovarian cancer or some sort of cancer and I hate having to wait. The kind of symptoms I've had is it started by missing a couple of periods around April/May. (I think as I normally make a note). When I finally had a period which was quite short I had another 23 days later but it lasted 8 days but only mild after about day 5. Then I've had spotting on and off with only one day that I used a towel as it was a medium flow. Ever since then I've been waiting for my next period which is overdue as its now day 32 and I've had spotting in between nearly every day but not heavy. I had a smear several months ago which came back fine but I've had a such a worrying year losing my dad to cancer and extremely bad PVC's which have been investigated so I'm very sensitive to any problems and think the worst. Are irregular periods and spotting common at this age? Do many women have pelvic exams and blood tests? I've heard of peri menopause but can't relax because I can't have the blood test until my next period. Any advice would be great thanks I'm just so scared at the moment as I've not experienced this in my life so far :shrug:

Vixxy
03-08-10, 14:31
Periods do change throughout our lives as we age. I dont have spotting, but I used to have very very regular periods when I was younger and now at 29 they range from 29 days to 42 days.
Try to take your mind off your worries as worrying wont make it better. All it will do is ruin your day.

pollyanna
03-08-10, 14:33
Hi Betty,

please try not to worry, i had a similar problem a few years ago, when i was 41, (now 43), my gyn consultant said that it was very common in woman in their late 30's , into their 40's, to cut a long story short, i was given a womb scope and biopsy, and it was due to a hormone imbalance, i was fitted with the mirena coil in october and the difference is amazing,here are a lot of other posts on the forum, from woman with similar issues, have a look at those, when this was happening to me i was very stressed, and i am sure this kicked things off for me, the worry causes a lot of anxiety and just makes things worse. i am sure there is nothing serious to this, and it is the dreaded hormones. :mad: one thing i would say is try not to pin all your hopes on the blood test for peri menopause, my friend who is 3 years older than me, her doctor said there surgery doesnt do the blood test anymore as it is so unreliable. anyway hope you get sorted out soon.

P x

betty72
03-08-10, 15:27
Thanks so far for your replies. I suppose you can't help but worry as its just been one thing after another this past couple years. They are testing my blood count, diabetes, menopause etc so I think they're covering everything but just can't do it until my next period. You know how it is, you just want it done today and the results asap. The spotting is worrying me most as I've googled and I shouldn't have so its a vicious circle! If a grandparent went into menopause early could it be in the genes because my nan was 38 and same age as me? Anyway keep the replies coming please thanks!

xfilme
03-08-10, 20:42
Sounds like the same as my mum had. That was the peri menopause. My aunt is going through it at the mo. Cancer is really really unlikely with regular smear tests. Especially if you arent in chronic pain or have foul smelling discharge. My cousin had awful probs with her periods and spotting and one day they stopped altogether. She is 24. She has had pelvic scans and everything... they found it was a hormone problem. Not everything is as scary as it seems. Imagination is the biggest culprit. Stick with us when you are feeling scared and we will all help you through x

betty72
12-08-10, 17:55
Hi sorry this is late I've not been here for a while but thanks to everyone for your advice. It's just scary when you glide through life with not too many problems then bang you hit your mid to late 30's and its one thing after another. Now I've got a new problem! Oh the joy of being a woman. I keep going to the toilet regularly (no. 2's and sorry to be explicit!) but its not diahorrea. And very very windy too. This has gone on for about 3 days but anyway will try and chill about it because I'm fed up with worrying!