PDA

View Full Version : My story so far and suggestions please

GlasgowGuy
03-08-10, 16:06
Try and be brief with my mental health history. Was on Citalopram 40mg for about 5 years. Was struggling with job/mortgage payments and was getting me down. Was able to cope for a long time on Citalopram but had a change of job to a taxi driver which wasn't for me, ran up loada debt and broke down. Since last April I've tried a shed load of different Anti-d's which just aint worked and anxiety and depression have spiralled out of control. I asked twice to go into hospital and it didn't help. Was in twice for a week. Decided 9 weeks ago to stop meds and try and deal with life in general and my anxiety. Read up so much feel like I'm almost qualified on mental health issues lol. Well 9 weeks off the anti-d's and weaning myself off Zoplicone sleeping tablet things got worse. Suicidal, depressed, riddled with anxiety/panic, anger. boredom. Went to see my GP last week who has prescribed 10mg of Citalopram with Diazepam 4 x 5mg cause my intolerance to anxiety going on them is awful. Feeling hyper and agitated now. Has anyone else been through anything similar? It's like I can't stand severe anxiety(a former GP told me I was worse case of anxiety she had dealt with) but then can't stand the depressive I can't put up with this any more. Any words of advice would be helpful. Thanks peeps

Bluebelle
03-08-10, 17:13
Hiya !
I am sorry to hear about your hard time- life is so challenging and difficult .
I don't have any advice to offer but I just wanted to try and offer some comfort.

I am sending you big hugs !

rambler
03-08-10, 17:24
GlasgowGuy. I tried to stop taking my anti-depressants a few weeks ago, to terrible results. I can't sleep without sleeping tablets and I can't function without anti-d's and anti anxiety meds. Hopefully your new medication will help. How are you finding the Cit?

MarlaJ
03-08-10, 17:39
Hello Glasgowguy, yes I went through what you are feeling now with Cipralex. My anxiety was bad, but the meds sent it out of control. After 3 days gp cut me back to 5 mg. Most of the side effects became more managable. The nausea was very bad, and it mostly went away. I found that I was waking up in panic. Then I was scared of the drug, so that anxiety was always there. The trouble with cutting dose down is that you aren't getting any of the "good" effects:weep: I just started at full dose last night again. Within the hour, I felt all the weird stuff creeping in again, but I got through it. I take Lorazapam as needed to cope with this, & I know your fears about becoming dependent on it, but right now I don't think I could continue to take Cip without it! It can take a few weeks for Cip to start working, so I think it is better to take something so that you can make sure you get that far. I'm still not great, but I am pretty sure that I am getting better each day. It is hard enough to cope with anxiety, but when the meds that are supposed to (and will) help you amplify the panic, it is always hard to stay on course isn't it?

This is my second time on this roller coaster. THe good news is that the medication worked (eventually) so well last time that I chose to come off of them a lot sooner than I should have. I will stay as long as doctor want this time:D

Take care,
Marla

GlasgowGuy
03-08-10, 20:09
Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. Just a nightmare wanting to lead a normal life but you feel restricted when you do something the old mood swings kick in. The old vicious circle

GlasgowGuy
04-08-10, 10:47
GlasgowGuy. I tried to stop taking my anti-depressants a few weeks ago, to terrible results. I can't sleep without sleeping tablets and I can't function without anti-d's and anti anxiety meds. Hopefully your new medication will help. How are you finding the Cit?

At the moment its mainly major anxiety I'm feeling but being severly anxious before this was to be expected until it was in my sytem. Today is day 8 of being back on Cit. I get the odd sore head and rush to the toilet a lot(sorry to be specific but with both ends of the spectrum). The headaches and loo issues are tolerable it's just the anxiety and mood swings that get on my nerves and find frustrating.

GlasgowGuy
05-08-10, 10:06
Well onto day 9. Did a lot yesterday. Helping my Dad with a new business venture and went for a swim and sauna. Walked for a good hour or so aswell. Feel I'm doing these things for the sake of doing them \nd to keep everyone happy.

Will see what today holds. Just cant be bothered with the expected 'anxiety rush/high' when the cit kicks in and the anger and frustration of it all.

Happy days.