PDA

View Full Version : Brown discharge and very frequent periods

louise123_uk
04-08-10, 00:30
I posted a while ago about having very irregular periods since the age of 11 (am now 26). By irregular I mean they differ in how far apart they are each time (shortest gap was about 4 days and longest 9 weeks), how heavy they are each time (from traces of blood in discharge to fairly heavy), to how long they last (from 5 to 12 days). I've never been on the pill or any other kind of hormonal birth control.

I told my doc bout this recently at age of 26 and she just shrugged and said probs nothing, you dont sound like you are ovulating properly but then she said this didnt sound like anything much and didnt suggest any further tests or that it should be investigated at all.

For last 5 periods, they have consisted of thick dark brown discharge for about 6 days each time, with one day of bright red blood in discharge at very beginning which was very light. First two periods were two weeks aprt but gap between last three has been only 6 days gap, so 6 days on, 6 off.

Ive never had this thick brown discharge before and only one day of bright red blood that is extremely light. Is dark brown discharge in this pattern my period, im assuming it is, and does it sound anytjing to panic over?
Ive had periods only 6 days apart before, for about 5 periods in a row mabe 4 or 5 years ago, but never this thick dark brown discharge with no proper bright red bleeding........ Anyone else had dark brown discharge instead of a normal period before? and have they ever been this frequent?

This isnt spotting is it? I'd find it very hard to tell spotting from a period given they can differ so much in heaviness and length and when they occur. Worried deep down it could be symptoms of cervical cancer? I've never had a smear test, as up until 2 months ago I hadnt had sex.
(sorry I have the most embarassing worries lol!)

cattttt
04-08-10, 02:01
Blood turns brown when it's in contact with air, so dark brown discharge means it's taking a long time to get out. You say your periods have always been irregular, so your doc is probably right that it's nothing important and you aren't ovulating properly. Not likely to be cervical cancer, but why don't you get a smear just to be sure? If it is, then getting treatment as soon a poss is a good thing.

louise123_uk
04-08-10, 11:02
So does it mean that it doesnt sound like periods and that its coming from elsewhere if its taking so long to come out....

LisaLisa
04-08-10, 15:33
Hiya

Just wanted to say that when you dont ovulate you dont make progesterone which is a hormone that maintains the lining of the womb, as in the blood that comes out at your period. So if you have less progesterone it can effect the 'quality' if you like! of the blood that comes out. Old blood is brown so it suggests that the lining wasnt being 'maintained' as well and got old and brown ( !!) before your period came on.
So i dont think it sounds a though its coming from anywhere else at all and i think its just a new phase of your normal irrelgular cycles you have always had hun

Lisa
xxxx
Hope that makes sense!!

louise123_uk
10-08-10, 22:05
I've read that irregular bleeding can be a sign of cervical cancer?

The article went on to define abnormal bleeding as including periods lasting more than 7 days which ive had for the last two periods, as well as numerous times over the years, it also defined it as including more than one period in a month, and again ive had this: theres only been 2 weeks to 1 week between my recent periods, and again ive had them this close together numerous times over the years! Also, im worried maybe what I think are close together periods is actually my period a short gap of a week, spotting and then my period! In addition, I do tend to have quite a bit of discharge but I just always thought this was normal.

I've never had a smear test (am 26) as am terrified of the results and also of the procedure itself as I suffer from a severe phobia of medical settings/incidents (I went to doc first time at beginning of year since I was about 12). Really worried it'l be majorly advanced and could have spread! My doc always sayd Im fine as I dont have any other symptoms of cancer such as extreme tiredness, weighloss, pains etc, but there are loads of stories of cervical cancer with virtually no symptoms!

Is irregular bleeding a symptom of cancer? In the past ive always just assumed it must be a hormonal imbalance but now im kicking myself...

Anxious_gal
10-08-10, 22:17
I would try a better doctor maybe?
My periods have always been irregular in the sense, I have a couple of extra weeks of freedom now and them. sometimes I'm bleeding heavily other times lightly.
this brown discharge sounds like what I get at the end of my period, after all the bright red blood goes, I get thick brown discharge.

louise123_uk
10-08-10, 22:42
Really feeling scared now!

louise123_uk
11-08-10, 10:47
Hmm annoying thing is Im thinking this has been going on my whole life but to be honest I cant really remember back to when I was 11!

louise123_uk
12-08-10, 11:20
Cant get a docs appointment for almost 2 weeks! Hate having such a long time to worry, and since I hate docs anyway if I have that long to wait il bottle out of going!

Does anyone know if your GP can do a smear test then and there in the surgery? Id prosb have it done on the spot but dont think I could make an appointment for one go away and come back!

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 11:59
mine does .so i shoulnt see why not ,have you a family planning clinic they also can do them you could ty

louise123_uk
12-08-10, 12:05
Im hoping she doesnt even say its an issue really and that it is def just hormonal.... Dont know why all of a sudden Im worried that what I have is abnormal bleeding and tht it could be cervical cancer. In the past ive always assumed that it was just messed up hormones and nothing for concern :-(

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 12:18
don't worry too much ,, ,if it was anything more you would have other symptom's ,,,like everyone has said its probably hormones ,but its always best to have test

louise123_uk
14-08-10, 15:35
I have a docs appointment on Monday and am truly terrified they're going to find something too advanced to even treat! :-( I just never throught irregular periods were serious before which is why I never really looked into it..... I've been reading about uterine cancer as well as cervaical cancer and im so scared one of these has been developing for a long time

mumble
15-08-10, 04:00
If it had been something developing over time there would be far more advanced symptoms. Hormones can fluctuate greatly. It can depend on all sorts; diet, mood, weight, temperature, etc. I've had phases of very heavy, irregular, painful, barely noticed, spotting and more recently since I've lost a huge amount of weight... I've not had one for about 8 months at all.

Typer
15-08-10, 11:01
Sounds like you have always had irregular and varying periods. Some people just do but for the sake of peace of mind, insist on being checked out and have a smear test.

From what you are saying and the length of time its been going on, I would guess its more that your hormones are out of sinc.

If it had been something sinister you probably would have known this by now.

Catalyst
15-08-10, 13:44
Hi Louise,

Push them for a Smear there & then when you have your appointment tomorrow. Like you said, it's easier than going away & coming back for one! The nurses at our practice usually do them, but I had a doctor the first time 'cos I was scared!

I'm not suggesting you should have one because I think anything is wrong, but because it is something us women should all have regularly. And you ARE sexually active now, so there's no excuse anymore! I actually had my last one last tuesday & yes, it's not the best way to pass the time, but it is worth it for peace of mind.

Irregular periods are very common & no two women seem to have the same experience of them. Good luck at the docs.

Carly x