PDA

View Full Version : Please help, pain in my sternum and scared

stacy1912
04-08-10, 10:00
Hi

I am getting really upset and stressed! I have seen the doctor once about this problem and I am going back tomorrow. The lowest part of my sternum the xiphoid process and sometimes my lowest right ribs really are sore and hurt when i move or lift etc. I am getting so stressed that this could be a tumour or something and it is taking over my day!!

I have terrible anxiety and I am on mirtazapine. I am now also suffering with irregular periods and I feel soooooooo tired all the time.

I am a single parent with two children and I am worried constantly that I am dying.

Has anyone else experienced soreness in this area, I have had it now for months on and off.

Help!!

Thanks Stacy

Catalyst
04-08-10, 10:57
Hi Stacy

I've had pain in the xiphoid area a few times. It can be incredibly painful! I have concluded from my own experience that touching it (especially prodding at it to 'see if it feels normal') when it hurts is a big mistake! It is a very sensitive part of the body and does not like being touched! I found that if you can ignore the pain there, it goes away after a few days. If you prod it, the pain gets worse & will linger much longer. Have you tried leaving it? I know that sounds easy & obvious, but it is human nature to feel it when it hurts "just to be sure it's not swollen etc"!

Actually I have also had problems with my lower ribs in the past. Finally worked out the reason mine were sore was because I had a bra that was a bit too tight! Whenever I'd lost a bit of weight, I'd switch to that bra & lo & behold my rib pain came back. The elastic was putting pressure on my ribcage & consequently squeezing my lower ribs!!! :blush: Hope you find a simple answer too!

All the Best, Carly

stacy1912
04-08-10, 11:23
thank you for replying

I am trying really hard to not touch it, but it gets so sore that i am drawn to rub it, to soothe it. I will try and leave it alone. Last night in bed I did have a prod around to see what was the matter, which could be why it's bad again!!

I get sooooooo stressed out worrying that I am sure this keeps me tense and probably adds to the problem. I convince myself it is lung cancer!

It is such a tender area and is really getting me down! My bra doesn't feel too tight but I am quite fat and wonder if my weight is making the area sore being squashed, so going to try and lose some weight. The pain is only when I make certain movements so I am trying to keep the area still!! not easy.

Thanks again Stacy