PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like this??

Erin27
04-08-10, 11:20
Does anyone else suffer the same horrible, unbearable feeling of dread when things are new or there is a lot of change going on in their life?? I am in the early stages of a great new relationship with someone and have been having MAJOR freak-outs and anxiety attacks, to the point where nothing feels good anymore and it's like there is a black cloud over me preventing me from enjoying things and just being able to go with the flow!! :weep: This seems to be the pattern when things are new and a scary, uncertain situation is occuring....

I've gotten past it many times before in the context of a relationship and other things like a new job, etc. but in the moment, it feels totally unbearable... want to cry, feel and/or am sick, hot flushes in arms, etc. I know its nothing to do with my new boyfriend as he's great and I've been smitten since we met 2 and a half months ago... but occasionally I get these attacks and then they subside... I have been on anti-depressants for 11 years (I'm 27) and have also learned about the 'fight or flight' response and CBT techniques..... Is there anything else I can do to help eleviate the symptoms??? Does anyone else suffer so badly when in reality things are going so so well???

Erin x

debbsi
04-08-10, 14:07
Hi Erin
Yes I often feel fretful and anxious when everything is going well, for example i am going on holiday next week and rather than looking forward to it I am worrying about leaving my 18 years old and dogs at home, I am worried about the journey and panicking I so want everything to go well.

I find it hard to concentrate on the good things and tend to find the bad thoughts overwhelming.

Its so tiring - all I want to do is have that weight of negativity lifted from my weary shoulders. I dont have panic attacks any more, I have had cbt in the past, I have only ever taken meds 13 years ago for post natal depression but due to the stigma and problems when arranging insurance etc I have made the decision never to take them again.

I often find that I could be having a good day then something small will happen and I will freak out - a 'normal' person would just get on with things and I feel like the world is going to end.

So Erin you are most certainly not alone there are many many others on this forum who feel just the same way. Everyone is so lovley on here and I have had lots of support and inspiring words which I dont think I could get anywhere else.

I you find a 'cure' or anything that works for you - be sure to let me (and everyone else on here :) ) know

Take care xxxx

Erin27
04-08-10, 16:30
Hi Debs,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble looking forward to your holiday. I often feel like this when planning an event / holiday / trip.... usually once I'm on my way, once I arrive, etc. I feel a bit better and the anxiety subsides.

If it doesn't subside, I tend to panic more but I just try and think to myself, what doesn't kill me will make me stronger (cliche, I know but its true!) and that rationally I know I am not going to come to any harm, etc. and no-one ever died from anxiety... the attacks pass in time and I'm sure once you know your child / dog are safe and sound and you've arrived at your destination, you will feel much calmer! I hope you have a great time!

I know what you mean about thinking, "A 'normal' person wouldn't react in this way!"
I often feel like I'm completely losing the plot and that no-one would understand if I told them what was going through my mind! But I've come to realise, there is no such thing as 'normal'! :)

Thanks again for your words, I wish you all the best... Happy Holidays!! x

bomberbeamish
04-08-10, 16:39
i do feel like this when my routine has changed, or meet new people, changing meds anything really, :hugs: