PDA

View Full Version : Fear of panic attacks

paulaf
04-08-10, 15:25
I recently managed to go away for 2 nights in a hotel with my husband (2.5 hours drive away from home) and it made me realise that my panic attacks are due to a fear of...panic attacks! When I was away I realised that I was constantly fearful that I would get a panic attack that would not end or that would get worse and worse until I freaked out, went insane or hurt myself in some way. I realised that it is like a fear of your own mind. I know Dr Clare Weekes says 'accept' the fear and panic but I find it so terrifying that I don't know if i will ever be unafraid of it. I wish I was just scared of something physical like clowns or spiders that you don't have to constantly deal with potentially encountering every minute of every day!

juliej
04-08-10, 20:41
Hi Paula,

Im actually the same , fear of the fear and then I avoid situations where I think a Panic attack might happen. Im trying to readdress this at the moment, I think loosing my mum 3 months ago has given me a big kick up the bum. We dont know whats round the corner and I dont want to waste it worrying about when Im going to have a panic attack. Its not easy but Ive started exercising more, practising yoga and looked at my diet. Also im trying to stop those negative thoughts and when they come I say to myself IM BORED WITH THIS , IM BORED WITH PA's .....seems to be helping ?? Im due to go to Spain next Saturday(1st time abroad in 15 years) and my hubbie said this has been the best I have ever been before a holiday. So perhaps it is working , fingers crossed :winks:

Julie xx

june
04-08-10, 21:20
:hugs:Something to think about:yesyes:
when you have a panic attack - you get jumpy, nervous ten ton butterflies in the tummy.
When you are waiting for something exciting - on date new boy friend - seeing new baby seing somthing really beautiful.
:ohmy:You actualy get THE SAME SENSATIONS:ohmy:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Edward78
07-10-10, 15:33
Hi paulaf, I have the same problem, have you made any progress?

eternally optimistic
07-10-10, 15:47
I'm the same as you all too.

June is soooo right, I went to France back in July and I actually wondered if I was excited, rather than never, something I never experience.

That is a good way to look at it.