PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Lima
04-08-10, 23:56
Hi,

I have been sent a letter from the Psychology Department of my local hospital asking if I would be interested in joining an "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Group". I have no idea what this is really but there is a letter of explanation (copied below). Prior to the group beginning they will interview those interested in joining to see if they think you are suitable to join the group. The two people running the group are a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and a Clinical Psychologist.

It sounds quite interesting so I am sending back the reply to say I would be interested (even though the whole idea of going fills me with dread!). Will wait to see if I pass the interview!

Has anyone ever heard of this therapy?
If so, did you find it useful? What was it like?

I think the paragraph in the information detailing the second aim are particularly relevant to me and could be (if it really does work) really, really helpful, although I haven't been able to utilise 'mindfulness' successfully before, despite trying hard and practising as much as possible. Anyway, see what you think!!!

Lima x

This is the information they have sent me regarding the therapy.

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy is a powerful new psychotherapy based on cutting-edge research into how the human mind works. It has been clinically proven to be successful in a wide range of psychological problems. The unusual name of this therapy comes from one of its key themes: Learning how to accept those things that are out of your control, and commit to changing those things that can be changed to make your life better. This is a very active therapy. It's not one of those therapies where we just talk about your problems. It's a therapy in which you actively learn new skills to improve your quality of life.

There are two basic aims in this therapy:

One aim is to help you create a rich, full and meaningful life. To do that, we'll need to spend some time talking about what you really want out of life; what's important and meaningful to you, deep in your heart. We call this 'clarifying your values'. Values are your heart's deepest desires for what you want to do and how you want to be during your life. Then, using that information as a guide, we'll look at how you can set goals and take action to change your life for the better - and in the process, develop a sense of meaning, purpose and vitality.

Our other aim is to teach you a set of skills that will allow you to handle painful thoughts and feelings far more effectively, in such a way that they have much less impact and influence over you. We call these skills 'mindfulness skills'. Mindfulness is a mental state of awareness, openness, and focus. In a state of mindfulness, painful thoughts and feelings can have much less impact on us. In a state of mindfulness, we can effectively handle even the most difficult feelings, urges, memories, thoughts and sensations - and as we learn to do so, we can break self-defeating habits or destructive patterns of behaviour; let go of self-defeating beliefs; rise beyond our fears, and chasnge out attitude in life-enhancing ways.

Finally, a key part of this therapy will involve you learning those mindfulness skills in the group, and then taking them home and practising them in between group sessions. The more you practise, the more benefits you'll get - and vice versa. Sometimes painful thoughts, feelings, memories, sensations and urges will be experienced during the session - and group members will be encouraged to use their new skills to handle these experiences more effectively. Because of this, at times this therapy may be very challenging. However at all times we will be working collaboratively, as equal team-players - so you will never be pushed or coerced into anything you are unwilling to do.

Lima
11-08-10, 01:09
Anyone??? Pleeeeeeeease. Someone must know something about this therapy.

I'm really worried about going. I just want a personal perspective of what it might be like.

I've read all the info and looked it up online, but all the info in the world doesn't match up to a personal experience.

I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Lima x

onceagain
11-08-10, 23:58
Hi Lima

I've not heard of this therapy but it sounds fantastic, I'd say give it a whirl anything worth having is worth the effort, if you don't suit it or it doesn't suit you at least you have tried.

Would definitely like to hear more about this so do please keep us posted x

Lima
05-09-10, 22:20
Just to let you know that I have had my interview for the ACT group and will be starting the therapy on Tuesday.

I'm REALLY nervous but hoping it will be useful.

Will let you know how it goes.

Lima x

Hayley1982
21-09-10, 20:47
I had acceptance and commitment therapy. It is really good. There is a book u can buy called the happiness trap by russ Harris it's all about ACT therapy. If u want to know anymore pm me anytime x x

Dahlia
22-09-10, 13:01
I've heard of ACT and my last CBT therapist thought it would be ideal for me. I have a mindfulness exercises CD and book. I would definitely give it a go Lima - it's meant to be really good for panic and anxiety.

Dahlia x

Lima
03-10-10, 22:13
I have now been to several sessions of the ACT. Some of the things I have learned make a lot of sense, but putting them into practice will be a long, hard road, I think - but no one said it would be easy.

I think the mindfulness is helping most of the group members but I am finding it more challenging. Generally, I can cope when I am busy, but as soon as I stop the flashbacks and difficult memories invade my mind. So when I am trying to practise the mindfulness, I am being interrupted intensely by flashbacks which take over. I am going to keep trying though.

I would certainly recommend it to anyone and everyone. The principles are fairly easy to grasp and certainly make a lot of sense. But it isn't easy - so be prepared to work hard.

I think it would benefit people with ANY type of mental health problems.

Lima x

Primula
21-10-10, 10:52
Hi how is the mindfulness going? I have also had this therapy and have foung it very good. Although as you say it isn't easy, and isn't a quick fix. Did you get a referral from your doctor?:)

keval
29-12-10, 16:50
I've heard of ACT and my last CBT therapist thought it would be ideal for me. I have a mindfulness exercises CD and book. I would definitely give it a go Lima - it's meant to be really good for panic and anxiety.

Dahlia x
Hello Dahlia & Everyone,

I was slowly working my way through the Therapy threads specifically looking for anything related to ACT. So, I was delighted to find this thread. Then I saw your post above. Out of interest, did you follow the advice of your last CBT therapist and did you pursue ACT?

I'm very interested in ACT having read the book to which I suspect you are referring above. It is entitled The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by Drs John P Forsyth and Georg H Eifert. It would appear to take a radically different approach to the treatment of anxiety disorders. Having said that, it tallies in some ways with Dr Claire Weekes' approach of Face > Accept > Float > Let Time Pass.

Any feedback on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

keval

keval
14-01-11, 13:32
Hello Dahlia,

Many thanks for your reply.

It is great that you are deriving benefit from ACT.

For me, I have just returned to Schema Therapy (ST) as my therapist considers it to be the most appropriate to my needs. And I agree. I started ST just over a year ago with a private therapist and found it very helpful. Now, I'm set to receive ST on the NHS. ST seems to have also recently incorporated mindfulness. My understanding is that this has resulted in the book Emotional Alchemy by Tara Bennett-Goleman.

Best wishes,

keval

keval
14-01-11, 18:25
Hi Dahlia,

This is great and I'm wondering if I should start a new thread as this one is starting to go off-track. I may also PM you.

keval