PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help please

lisa70
05-08-10, 10:17
HI all

Not really sure how to put this but I am not coping very well at the moment. I keep singing songs in my head which I have convinced myself is Schizophrenia and I am stuck with this thought. I dont do things incase I cant cope and all I do is sing songs in my head, I dont seem able to distract myself. I think I am a very strange person and cant get past these thoughts, does anyone have any guidance on how to overcome this im scared to death, I dont want to loose my mind and I want to be able to get on with things not just sit thinking.

Sorry for rambling

THanks

georgina20
05-08-10, 11:48
hiya Lisa , if u dont mind me asking wot bought all these thots on ? are u on any mediacation

JT69
05-08-10, 11:51
Hi Lisa,

You are not rambling hun. I sing songs in my head all the time...I thought it was normal??

I just go about my life as normal as possible doing what I normally do and then you tend to forget about the songs in your head.

I think you are focussing too much on it...you need to try and distract yourself...try watching a favourite dvd or tv programme??

Not sure what else to advise as it seems quite normal to me but you are just perhaps over-thinking it??

Hope this helps....you are not alone.

Jo.xx

jen2503
05-08-10, 11:56
You already are distracting yourself, singing whether its out loud or quietly to yourself (in your head) is a way of distracting yourself from the anxiety. now you are loking for ways to distract yourself from the singing. to me it sounds as though you are trying too much, and i dont mean that is a bad thing but obviously youve got yourself wound up and in a muddle. im betting the singing started when you were feeling anxious, you are now singing all the time as a way to protect yourself. you need to feel safe and not afraid of the anxiety to be able to stop the singing. which you can do. you are not going mad, not at all, its just singing, we all do it, i do, i also talk to myself when im anxious, its supposed to be a sign of a creative person apparently.

first thing to do is stop putting so much pressure on yourself to stop the singing because its your way of distracting yourself from the anxiegty, your mind wont want to give up the singing easily because of the fear of anxiety, if that makes sense.

i do it with rocking, if im sit down and anxious i start to rock! i do it automatically and i was worried i was going mad because its a sign of nervous behaviour but that makes sense, anxiety does make you nervous and stressed. like i said, stop worrying about whats normal and what isnt. your mind,body ect ect is doing what it can to protect you from anxiety, you just need to prove to youself that your strong enough to protect yourself and the singing should stop. your the one singing, you have control over it, you just dont think you do.

xx

sugarpuff
05-08-10, 14:22
Hi Lisa
I sing songs in my head ALL the time, usually the same verse as well over and over lol!
Jen is right it distracts me from the anxiety and panic

paradox
05-08-10, 16:03
I wake up with a song/word or phrase in my head and it just plays over and over. Thought it was just me. Nice to know I'm not alone. Especially as I've done this for as long as I can remember.

:hugs: