PDA

View Full Version : TENS advice needed

vernon
22-02-06, 20:39
Hi I have been getting really cad shoulder, neck and arm pain now for about 5 weeks. Been to GP a couple of times and had ECG and been checked out and got strong pain killers and diclofenac for it, The pain seems constant which makes it worst it don’t come on from stretching or lifting etc. I told the Doctor the pain killers didn’t help and he said together with the diclofenac it would go in time and seemed to think the pain is coming from my neck. Anyway I bought a TENS it’s a digital pain relief/massager worked from batteries. Does anyone know how often and for how long you can use these things? It does seem to help a little and is on a 15 minute timer. Its one of Lloyds chemists own brands. So any information on how best use this would be great, like time, what power is best from 1 to 8 and setting? Not much info on the booklet. Thanks Vernon

Ma Larkin
23-02-06, 14:35
Hi Vernon, I got a TENS machine which was supposed to be for labour, but I only used it when I did my back in mowing the lawn (not advisable when about to have a baby!!). It really eased the pain & I don't think there's a time limit on how often you should use it. If it works go for it! I have also been prescribed diclofenac (aren't they anti-inflammatory?) when I had a bout of plouresy & can honestly say they were useless. I switched to co-codamol. We have a local Chemist and the Pharmacist kinda has his own little surgery on the go, rather than sitting in the GP's all morning, we just go to the chemist. I can remember the days when paracetamol was the answer to everything, now its co-codamol!!

Les

Jenny
23-02-06, 14:46
Hi Vernon
At the surgery where I worked they had Tens machines that the patients could have on loan for a certain amount of time. If anyone bought there own you could see the practice nurse and she would explain everything to you and show you just how to us it. Do you think this service would be available at your surgery? Perhaps it is worth finding out.

Best Wishes
Jenny xx

Piglet
23-02-06, 15:01
Can't offer any advice here Verny but hope it helps you mate and you get rid of the pain soon.

Love Piglet xx

freakedout
25-02-06, 13:33
Hi Vernon,

I too used one during labour, but am a nurse and understand that they ARE effective for reducing pain, of course everyone is different and you have to allow for that but if the oral analgesia and anti-inflamms are not enough it is worth a try.

Do you know why you get the pain? Just ask cos my mum had a frozen shoulder recently which resulted in referred pain to other areas because she could not move her arm properly, she found some exercises to do and massage techniques which her partner helped her with and by the time she got her physio appointment it was almost relsolved. Sorry going off on one again!!

Hope you feel more comfortable soon,

Lou

freakedout
25-02-06, 13:37
Sorry vernon, forgot to say that you can leave the machine on for a while, it stimulates the nerves which causes release of your natural endorphins, which helps to reduce pain. I would say gradually increase the time as you can tolerate it and see how it goes. Women have them on for hours during labour, you should start off low ie 1 or 2 and gradually increase as much as is comfortable it is a strange sensation and if you whack it up too high at first it can be a bit of a shock!!.

Good luck with it!

vernon
08-03-06, 11:18
thanks all, yes freaked my wife learned that she put on on continuous setting and on high and got a nasty shock, I have got into how it works now but find it dont help the bad shoulder and arm pain (what i bought it for) but it does seem to help my joint pains. thanks all. Vernon

nandrews
29-03-06, 14:27
I wonder if anyone has experience of TENS to help overcome dental pain. Either during dental work (fillings etc.) or for post operative pain from dental treatment?
I don't have a TENS unit but I am not relishing a dental appointment next week and would buy one if the possibilites were good that it would work.

Thanks
Nigel