PDA

View Full Version : Another muscle spasm...

Catalyst
05-08-10, 16:14
This stupid nerve or muscle in my elbow keeps twitching / spasming. It's been happening for about 2 weeks and it's making my anxiety creep back in. I've had twitchy muscles in my eyelids loads, but this is new to me. I'm getting the same spasms (but less frequently) in other areas too - my cheek, calf, forearm. So naturally (!) I'm starting to worry about neurological disorders again. I'm getting a sort of internal tremor or shake too, so I know I might be tensing, but it really doesn't seem like I can relax my muscles any more than I am. Surely trapped nerves don't make you spasms in so many different locations? Aaargh.

KK77
05-08-10, 23:37
I'm sure that trapped nerves can cause all sorts of mischief in the form of twitches, spasms, pain etc but anxiety alone can cause even stranger symptoms that mimic other more serious disorders.

Twitches are extremely common in anxiety sufferers and can happen in any muscle in any part of the body. Eyelid twitches seem to be a favourite one and I think it's due to a highly sensitised nervous system causing muscle tension (obviously both fuelling each other along the way). It's the essence of somatoform disorder.

I know you'll probably still worry but I hope that helps somewhat!

Catalyst
07-08-10, 10:44
Thanks for your reply, I've been trying to keep my arm straight for the last 24 hours. Not sure if it's helping or not, but I feel a bit better about it.

KK77
07-08-10, 23:04
I think the more you focus on it and make a fuss the worse it gets. Try to go about your everyday tasks to distract yourself from thinking about it. I find that works better. The main thing to remember is that it's nothing serious - but I know how annoying it is.

Don't worry - it will pass, believe me.