PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Alexandra
22-02-06, 21:52
I was diagnosed properly with asthma last year. I say properly as my previous doctor just gave me an inhaler to ease my chest after i had had a heavy cold) She didnt bother to do any other checks etc.

Anyway i find now sometimes when ive felt panicky that the stress carries on into an asthma attack.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Alexandra

nomorepanic
22-02-06, 21:55
I have asthma too - well it is under control.

Do you think it is really an asthma attack or does it feel like that because of the breathing problems associated with panic - i.e. hyperventilating?

Nicola

Alexandra
22-02-06, 22:06
Hi

I start coughing like mad as my throat goes tight & im so wheezy. Horrible horrible feeling.:(

I used to hyperventilate when i would ( & you will think this is funny i bet) try walking into Wilkinsons in town with my fiance. I would step in the entrance & next minute would have to dash outside & sip water to help calm me down ( I do'nt cope in crowds very well at all ):(

Thankfully my asthma is completely controlled now.

Quirky
22-02-06, 22:20
Hi there,

I get asthma and anxiety too, hyperventilation feels different to asthma to me. I used to have trouble telling them apart but understand better now. I always check my peak flow too and if that is good it's unlikely to be asthma. The throat tightness could just be anxiety too. I get a really wheezy throat but the wheezing is in the throat not the lungs. My asthma nurse told me that hyperventilation feels like you can't breathe in and asthma feels like you can't breathe out. Panic and Hyperventilation can irritate the brochi and airways though so it's possible it can aggrevate asthma. I went to the doctors many times really unable to breathe thinking it was asthma only to be told my chest sounded clear so it was just me hyperventilating.
Anyway I'm glad your asthma is controlled well now.
Take care,

Lisa