PDA

View Full Version : Constant physical symptoms is this GAD?

popsy
06-08-10, 20:01
I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder 10 years ago, and im still suffering!
But what i am finding so hard to cope with is the constant physical symptoms of anxiety, over the past couple of weeks they have been literally non stop, i try and ignore them and carry on, but they are always there and have spiralled into panic attacks a few times.
Im absolutely exhausted esp as the kids are off school too, just holding myself together.
Is this what people call GAD, symptoms all the time? They are there constantly but can also raise at times, but never go away completely?
How do other people control this? Im getting v v low about this and i can feel depression setting in again.
I would appreciate any advice as im getting desperate now, i feel if i crack now i just wont stop crying! :weep:

Thank you xxxxxx

sjr1969
06-08-10, 21:47
hi, i do sympathise, i am finding it quite hard with the kids being off school. what symptoms are you getting?

sarah x

bucketofsnakes
06-08-10, 22:14
Hello Popsy
I think GAD is diagnosed after a certain period of time with consistant symtoms, not sure how long it is. I think acute anxiety disorder is anxiety during a normally stressful time, which goes away as would normally be expected.
Anxiety disorders are not always easily recognised by health profesionals as the depression which occurs as a result of your symptoms masks the more specific anxiety disorder. Your anxiety may prevent you from saying what you intended to.
If you have a mental health prof that you see go well prepared with your concerns, it may help to write a brief list to help you to stay on track and say what you really need to.
Please ask for help from those around you, it sounds like you really need someone to lessen your load right now.
Love Jan

Anxious_gal
07-08-10, 00:20
for weeks now I have had a tightness in my throat. it's there all the time. I'm starting to worry it may never go away.
i often feel that it's the physical symptoms that cause my anxiety.
it's like vicious circle.

bucketofsnakes
07-08-10, 00:54
Physical symptoms get you down dont they, they sound like nothing on their own but when there is a long list of them it can feel unbearable.
They seem to make the anxiety much worse. Best to share it with your GP, dont be afraid to look like a hyperchondriac, its natural to have health anxieties when your feeling so rough.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow
Jan

MarlaJ
07-08-10, 02:41
Mishel, I know exactly what you mean - it is a vicious cycle, and I don't know if my anxiety is causing health problems, or health problems causing anxiety. It is terribly frightening, because I am always afraid that docs will pass EVERYTHING off as anxiety. I am currently starting a round with ssri meds hoping that if I can get the anxiety under control then I can really take inventory as to what symptoms remain and go from there. In the mean time, the nasty side effects are complicating everything. Not a fun ride is it? I agree with Jan, it is best to share everything with the doctors, as they are better able to help sort it all out. Best of luck!
Marla

penny09
09-08-10, 19:45
Hey,

I felt the need to reply. I can totally sympathise, and hope u feel better sooner-i know its easier sais than done.

I also have been feeling symptoms a lot lately - what i really don't like is the fact I dont think I am stressed/anxious (in my mind).. yet my body has those signs.. I don't understand how that can be! If anyone can elloberate, please do!

In answer to someones uestion - I think for it be be GAD you have to have been anxious more days than not for at least 6 months. In fact, this might help..
http://www.healthyplace.com/anxiety-panic/main/symptoms-and-diagnosis-of-generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad/menu-id-69/

I have been referred to a CBT class bu doc, and will go back once complete.. I would actually like it if I was told it's GAD (at the moment just been told axiety) - is that strange, to want to be 'labelled'?

Take care guys, and it anyone wasnt to email, feel free

x