PDA

View Full Version : Me, myself and I

AnxiousJon
06-08-10, 22:10
Hi all,

I'm a 33 year old chap and within a month I'll have spent more time living with anxiety than I have without it. My first panic attack hoved into view when I was 17 while I was watching tele (I think it was an episode of Frost with the terribly popular David Jason - not sure if that's why), I spent some time running about the house (and the garden, and to be fair most of the village) totally unable to understand what was happening or why but just knew my time was up and it was only a matter of time before I keeled over and simply ceased to exist.

Slowly over the course of two or three hours I calmed down and tried to take stock of the situation, the attack left me with a strange feeling in my stomach and my legs and I remember being very tired so decided that a good night's sleep would sort things out. When I woke up I was simply a different person, I was left with an anxious feeling deep down that I couldn't shift and to this day it's still here, it's been with me every waking second so I can no longer remember what it's like to feel normal.

Doctors tested me for everything under the sun but drew a blank, I know it's all psychological and I know the reason for it but it doesn't make it any easier.

I've tried a variety of drugs from adrenalin inhibitors (didn't work), through anti-depressants (made me sleep ALL the time and when people rang me up I gibbered to them based on what I was dreaming at the time, which was fun but not really) and even Diazepam (5mg didn't work, neither did the other 20g I took out of desperation when I had to fly).

The panic comes when I'm in a situation I cannot get out of (trains, lifts planes erk!) A year ago I had a very good exposure therapist who spent some time with me and told me to work through a graded list of things that caused me to panic and get used to them. I spent a lot of time forcing myself to get on trains of varying speeds and distances to build up to things and even took a job in London (about 50 minutes by train), so far so good.

Well I've been feeling a bit peculiar recently and had noticed that I've started to develop a variety of other phobias (heights and open spaces) I put it down to stress but yesterday pretty much all my hard work fell apart and I feel worse than before. I'm significantly gutted and realise that it's time to sort things out - I'm starting my exposure therapy again tomorrow and I'm dreading it already.

This condition really can hamper (I resisted to urge to use the words 'destroy' or 'cripple') your life. I'm sorry I've babbled on for so long but it's nice to find a place where I can see I'm not alone with this. I've never met anyone who has exactly the symptoms I have, but I can see you are all fighting your own battles.

I don't want to live a life where I can't go to the work canteen (10th floor) with friends or I can't sit on a train or even go on holiday. I used to fly all over the world when I was a child (father in the airforce) and saw some amazing places but now I cannot even begin to contemplate being near a plane let alone on it!

If you read this then thank you, it's got to the stage where I simply needed to write something down and this seemed a great place to do it.

Maybe one day everything will be alright.

Jon.

nomorepanic
06-08-10, 22:11
Hi AnxiousJon

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Vanilla Sky
06-08-10, 22:12
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

MarlaJ
07-08-10, 02:57
Jon, you and I live very similar lives! I too find that my list gets longer each year, although I too try to fight them off. When did elevators start to be a problem? I don't remember them every being scary before....Bridges are also on the list these days. Planes started quite a few years ago, but how I'm not sure, as I used to fly a lot when I was younger too. That one has gotten so bad, I actually have a "system" of how to take the drugs. I start with a half in the parking lot, one before security, one after security, and one (or more, really who's counting?) on the plane. By take off, I might as well be luggage:roflmao:But hey, it gets me there! I can fly 2 hours in my own time zone, and still suffer jet lag lol. never tried exposure therapy, so let us know how it works for you. Best of luck!
Marla

AnxiousJon
07-08-10, 06:54
Hi Marla,

Elevators became a problem about two months ago when I got in one and the doors wouldn't open again - I went from 0 to gibber in about half a second. I force myself to get in them again and it's starting to get better.

Do you take diazepam for your flying or something else? I had to take a flight last year and despite taking a total of 25mg of the stuff it was the worst thing ever, 3 hours worth of absolute hell. If I could find something that turns me into luggage that would be great :)

Have a good day!

Jon.