PDA

View Full Version : alcohol cravings on mirtazapine

bucketofsnakes
07-08-10, 13:56
I'm finding that when my dose is increased within a few days I crave alcohol.
I rarely drink these days. My psychiatrist ignored my concerns and said it was'nt related to the pills, he also ignored me telling him I was having a problem with Bullimia. So I don't have much faith in him.
I've read a few items relating to this, so it seems that others have experienced it also. It is thought to reduce alcohol cravings in dependants.
Has anyone else experienced this on Mirtazapine?
Jan

JT69
07-08-10, 19:25
Hi Jan,

Not really sure about the answer to that. All I know that since taking mirtazipine I do not drink very much at all. I think it is a mixture to be honest of thinking that it is probably not a good idea to drink too much with the meds anyhow but also I just have not felt like it. Untill I read your post had not thought much about it but I guess I certainly have had a less desire to drink alchohol than before mirtazipine...didnt notice this whilst on citalopram (and I took this on/off for 9 years)!!! So I guess for me its the opposite than craving it.

Hope that helps.
Jo.xx

bucketofsnakes
07-08-10, 19:41
Thanks Jo
I've also had citalopram in the past, no cravings for alcohol.
Thanks for replying
Jan

ElizabethJane
07-08-10, 20:14
I have one glass of wine at a time and I'm taking 45mg mirtazapine. I don't think that there is a link between alcohol craving and mirtazapine. I expect the craving was there before taking mirtazapine and would still be there if you came off it. I don't think that the two are related.

bucketofsnakes
07-08-10, 20:30
No I dont crave alcohol, until increasing dosage, it is so unusual like a craving for an odd food when your pregnant, it occurs around 2 days after the increase and subsides within a week. I have found other references to this online, How do they determine what side effects people experience on a med if the psychiatrist does'nt take a blind bit of notice to what your saying.
Jan

zeb
24-08-10, 20:37
I had intense cravings for alcohol on seroxat and ciprimil but this disappeared when I went onto mirtazapine, the doctors didn't listen to me either but I done loads of searching on the web and there is a link, what ever the link is its very complex and differs for different people also in America alcohol abuse is listed as a side affect for seroxat and another antidepressant its also listed as adverse affect on the doctors desk top reference in America but nothing here in the UK, America is far more advanced than the UK so there definitely worth listening to.

Vixxy
24-08-10, 20:51
I dont crave alcohol, but I do crave cakes, chocolate, sugar and more cake. Ive never over eaten before, but since I was put on these meds I find that one cake isnt enough. Its a struggle to stop myself eatting a whole packet. I feel your pain.

maxfactor
25-08-10, 00:55
There might be a link,I heard of people drinking on seroxat
I couldnt stop eating personally and put on 6 half stone(could be due to giving up the ciggies though,2 years ago)
So cant be 100%.
Could be a link you never know?
So what are you going to do ?
See if it gets any worse and dont drink yourself to oblivion,change the pill b4 you harm your liver.
Best of luck.

antwigone
08-09-10, 20:50
fluoxetine (prosac) made me wake up feeling PAAAAAARRRRTTTTY. i wanted to kill people. mirtazipine.. a man shouted from his car at a merging point..could not believe i put my fingers in my ears and went lalalalaa at him! never in my wildest dreams would have i done that.Normally so angry I would have got out of my car and confronted him with no idea or consideration of the consequences. I have found i don't crave alcohol .. but ben and jerry's choccy ice cream. Watch out for the biggun rolling cross ur town..think ghost busters.lol ah mania.. i love it
xxxx

HunniBee
08-09-10, 21:36
Has anyone actually ever drunk alcohol whilst on Mirt?
Im going out for the first time in ages sat night and i will be taking my 7.5mg of mirt Friday night but not the Saturday night as i would have been drinking...is this wise??

Was on Cit too but stop taking them today :)

HB x x

zeb
27-09-10, 20:41
Yeh I have drunk on mirtazapine and vomited once and have passed out hitting my head so be careful, one or two drinks will probably be ok but I had a bottle of wine. Ive given up drinking now.

JJayLeeds
04-12-10, 15:21
Hi Jan
My alcohol input has increased dramatically on Mirtazapine. I want to drink during the day - not been a big drinker in the past years suddenly wanting to drink.
Also, I do not have sugar cravings that others talk of, perhaps this is a different craving created by Mirtazapine. I would be interested to hear of others who have alcohol cravings. is it in stead of the sugar cravings?

Jane

JT69
05-12-10, 11:05
Hi Jane,

I take mirtazipine and if anything dont crave alcohol at all....for me its the sugar cravings..I drink much less than I used to before taking it...in fact I hardly drink at all.

Strange.

Be interesting to see what others put.

Jo.xx

jo61
05-12-10, 13:59
I drink on Mirtazapine, sometimes to excess. However, I reckon it's the illness not the medication that makes me use booze as a crutch
:mad:

tomc
13-12-10, 15:56
Hi Jo

I drink on mirt as well, but my craving for it has neither increased or decreased. My drinking water and coffee has increased drastically. Constantly have a glass of water or a mug of coffee by my side. I understand what you mean by the illness making you use booze as a crutch, I did (and still do to some extent) use booze as my crutch or self medication. Just to let you know you are not alone :hugs:

Tom

tee123
11-06-11, 14:27
Hi all,
I'm now on mirtz. I have drunk on every tablet I've ever been on. Even on mirtz. Whille it doesn't increase the sleepies for me, it does make me very depressed for a couple of days after. I think it will differ for everyone, so just be careful. I also agree that we use the booze as self medication. I know i have done and still do. I told the doc many years ago that if I felt better I wouldn't need to drink so much to make myself fell better. bit of a catch 22 tho as the next day depression comes sweeping back. I'm trying to control it but I crave sweet cider! And it is like a pregnancy craving, almost uncontrollable. I could murder for a pint or more of the bloody stuff sometimes.
Love to all,
Trace xx

thin ice
11-06-11, 14:41
Im going out for the first time in ages sat night and i will be taking my 7.5mg of mirt Friday night but not the Saturday night as i would have been drinking...is this wise??

its probably a great idea. just to be on the safe side. missing 1 dose wont cause you any trouble.

im on 45mg of Mirtazapine and i dont drink any less or any more than usual.