PDA

View Full Version : I think negative thoughts fuel panic attacks and acceptance really does stop them

paulaf
07-08-10, 16:58
I have read Dr Claire Weekes' self help for your nerves and know that she said the best way out of panic attacks is to accept them, but I don't think I every truly accepted them. I would think to myself 'ok its just rapid breathing, ok my heart's going a bit fast, its ok I'm just having a panic attack' but I think part of my brain was always thinking 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not a panic attack!'.

Recently for the first time, I truly did accept a panic attack and it completly disolved. The reason is a bit embarrasing but I will share because I think this is quite an important story: Basically I had a 2.5 hour journey one day and was so afraid of needing the toilet (which is my worst reaction to anxiety/panic) that I took imodium. That evening I had such a sore stomach that I was wishing I could go to the toilet to relieve the pain and when I started feeling a panic attack because of the pain I thought 'oh good a panic attack will make me go to the toilet' and was in a weird way happy to get one (in the safety of my own home) and right at that moment - it short circuted it immediately! I think this proves for me anyway, that my panic attacks are fueled by the fear of them, and by the negative thoughts of 'what if' while I am having one.

If I could only truly accept them and not fear them anymore, I think it would help me so much. The problem for me is 'accepting' them when I am in a situation outside my home like travelling or at work. How are we supposed to master this?

alicegreen
07-08-10, 17:14
I wish I knew!
I totally get what she means about accepting them, and can see (with the very small remaining part of logic in my brain) that this is exactly what I need to do, the instant I feel a tiny tremor of anxiety I get almost frenzied and work myself up even more. That overwhelming need for the toilet is just awful and so debilitating.

jude uk
07-08-10, 17:15
I feel the only way we can master the attacks is to keep facing them. Our fear of the attacks stops us from facing them and we do everything in our power to keep the attack at bay or for the attack to vanish asap. When I started riding motorbikes I was told "if you have a crash get back on asap or you will never get back on a bike" This is so true because I have seen so many bikers fear their bike after a crash.

Facing the fear is never easy but in my experience there is no ther way. Medication can help/support but it will not get rid of the fear.

If we can accept and understand the fear and along with this have support from our GP, mental health workers, family, friends then we can move forward but we ourselfs must take the step to better mental health.

I think you can do it:hugs:

angels22165
07-08-10, 18:30
Hi, I too believe the only way forward is to face the panic attacks and let them come and accept them, we know what to do, but when we are having them we just wish that they would go like you say asap, they are horrid and very frightening thats what fuels them I know to think like this, but it's just so hard