PDA

View Full Version : How can I help her?

newbf
23-02-06, 13:11
Hi,

I am completely new to the world of panic attacks. I have once before experienced one, but I have never knowingly met someone who experiences them.

I have started seeing this lovely girl and she has just told me that occassionally she experiences panic attacks and has done so since she was a child. I am not the sort of bloke to run away in horror in disgust, so that's why I am here.

We have spoken about it and she is concerned that when we go out, she may suffer an attack and I will run a mile. This isn't the case. I think I have convinced her of this.

What I really could do with, is some practical advice of what to do and say if she has an attack. I have asked her, but she seems unable to provide practical steps I can take in the event of an attack. I'm not the sort to freak out and I remain calm in difficult situations but I want to make sure I don't do the worng thing and lose a lovely girl!

Any advice is very welcome!

New B/F!

Alexandra
23-02-06, 13:26
Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

One of the things you can/could do is talk quietly & calmly to her & most of all reassure her that she is safe & everything will be okay.

Take Care

Alexandra

Ma Larkin
23-02-06, 13:38
Hi New B/F, I think its really great you showing such an interest & compassion, wanting to help if your girl does have a panic attack. I find I cope best during a panic attack if I sit up straight & get the breathing technique right. Remember to tell your girl to take short breaths in & longer breaths out, either that or blow into a paper bag, however, this can be a bit embarrassing in a public place. I have been accused of sniffing glue before now & i'm nearly 40!! Try calmly talking about anything but panic, take her mind away from the panic & i'm sure you'll be absolutely brilliant. Try not to worry too much, panic attacks can be pretty scary to witness when they are at their worst. You'll be great i'm sure.

Les

Piglet
23-02-06, 13:46
Just by keeping yourself calm too, all you need to do is reassure her that the feeling will soon pass and that she perfectly safe even though she may not be feeling it.

Have a good look around the site mate, as there is lots of helpful information and see if your girlfriend would like to look on here too.

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

jackie
23-02-06, 14:08
well done you. not all people are this supportive, tell her i said not to let you go.

first get both of you a copy of claire weekes book on how to deal with panic and other symptoms it creates, it will explain what they are and how to best approach any situation when anxiety arises.

also go with the flow with her. if she should want to leave then calmly leave with her, if she has experience of these horrible things she will no best what to do.

other than that, just be yourself and dont fear what is happening, you seem like one in a million, dont let her problems frighten you into changing, for she needs someone as caring as you.

sorry to almost have you two up the aisle, its sjust so refreshing to see someone genuinely concerned
jackie

Tomimo
23-02-06, 16:27
You sound like you reall care and it's lovely that you are so supportive.

I would suggest that you read some of the information on the front page so that you are familiar with the sort of symptoms that she may suffer from.

Other than that, all you can do is be supportive, reassure her if she should have a panic attack which hopefully she won't :)

Annie x

wendy
23-02-06, 19:08
Hi
From my experience with panic attacks your caring attitutde will be a big support to your girlfriend,

Good Luck to you both

Wendy

rois
24-02-06, 13:25
You'll probably find lots of info on this site. If she has an attack just try and distract her from it whilst reassuring her. You sound like a top bloke and she's lucky you're so supportive. Best of luck

"Ther goes the fear, let it go. You turn around and life's passed you by, you look to those you love to justify...there goes the fear."

Meg
24-02-06, 15:03
Good for you. How lovely to read someone trying to help a new potential partner

Read and print out the First Steps article.

Try to get to the bottom of why she has them,what her fears and triggers are and what help she has had so far and maybe encourage her to find a lasting solution such as CBT.

She can log on here herself and see what we can do to help her directly too.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

newbf
27-02-06, 11:13
Well, we went out on Saturday night to a bust Thai restaurant and again on Sunday shopping, and we had a fantastic time :D

She has one of the Claire Weekes books which I'll read when she digs it out.

She's amazed and delighted I;m taking an active interest and I'm just trying to be as supportive as possible. [^]

New b/f