PDA

View Full Version : Pilonidal cyst??

jimsie
08-08-10, 02:48
I have been finding this forum useful for health anxiety for a while now so I thought i would sign up and post about my current worry that is stopping me from sleeping.

Earlier i found a boil around my tailbone, i always get boils so it shouldn't be such a big deal. The problem is through my endless health related Google searches I have done in the past I know that a boil on the tailbone can be a Pilonidal cyst. From what i have read, a Pilonidal cyst sounds like my worst nightmare. Intense constant pain followed by very painful surgery and it reoccurs again and again etc.

I also have very bad eczema and im worried that the wounds left from that has given me this infection. I can find many pages convincing me that this boil is a serious condition that needs surgery straight away but nothing that says that a harmless boil might just appear there as well. So im just sitting up here at night, worrying, either waiting for this thing to become extremely painful or just to go away.

Sometimes its very difficult to convince myself that its just my anxiety blowing things out of proportion when websites tell me otherwise. Although I do have bad anxiety, I have been worrying about various health problems for the last 4 years. I also have social phobia and general anxiety.

blueangel
08-08-10, 12:03
Hi jimsie

One of my friends had one of these pilonidal cysts a few years ago and I have to say it wasn't very pleasant for him. But, he had the surgery on it and hasn't had any trouble with it since - and I think sometimes they can be got rid of with antibiotics if you're lucky. Get your GP to take a look at it, as it might not be as bad as you think.

margaret jones
08-08-10, 13:29
Hi jimsie Get a app with your GP it is probably just a boil that will respond to some antibiotics deal with it before you lose to much sleep .

Take Care Maggie xxxxxx

countrygirl
08-08-10, 14:00
They always try antibitoics first and its only if the boil keeps reappearing or will not improve that they resort to surgery for a boil/abcess on any part of the body. As well as the antibiotics its worth trying to get the boil to burt itself with hot compresses and salt if you know you can tolerate them.

iris333
08-08-10, 20:28
I had one of these, very painful, mine cleared up with antibiotics and I didn't need surgery.

jimsie
09-08-10, 21:42
It did form a head and has now erupted, which has left a red spot which is still a bit painful to touch, but not bad. I normally wouldn't think much of it but its still its location that scares me. I still can't help thinking that its a Pilonidal cyst and apparently they can reoccur and become much more painful and need surgery etc.

I don't know how i will handle the pain and anxiety if that's the case. Just reading through some of the stories that people have makes me panic and constantly worry. I will make an appointment with the doctor for Friday.

Strange that im finding quite a few people who have had it or know someone who has. According to the NHS website "Out of every 100,000 people in England, only 26 will be affected by the condition each year." Maybe in reality its more common?

verity
09-08-10, 23:00
Hi Jimsie! please dont worry hun, I have a pilonidal cyst and have had it for a while now.

It keeps coming and going but its not terrible. Its perfectly copeable with. It is not for me intense pain, not at all. Yes its sore when it comes but not at all as scary as you are thinking. They have suggested surgery and I was booked to go but it had not come back for months so I didnt see the point.

If it does reoccure i will have the surgery, its really not such a terrible thing. Yeah it will be sore afterwards but it will heal.

..and yes it is rare lol but I seem to get all the rare conditions lol why me!!! haha

I have lived with my lovely cyst...lol for a year now..I really should give it a name! So even if it was one..which it may not be its not such a terrible thing.

Please don't worry and take one step at a time..You will be ok

Verity
xxxx

jimsie
10-08-10, 19:58
Thanks for the replies. It has calmed me a bit. Unfortunately i wont be able to see the doctor until Friday 20th, i don't really want to take time off work for something that isn't causing any real problems and might just be nothing. I always feel stupid if ive been to the doctor and its just me being paranoid.

I think i will have to get my anxiety sorted out as well, it has had such a big affect on my life for way too long now.

jimsie
20-08-10, 18:54
Just an update to say ive seen my doctor and he dosn't think its anything to worry about so hopefully i can try to forget about it now.

I have also got the wheels in motion to get help for my anxiety. I found that very difficult to talk to the doctor (or anyone) about. It always seems that people are less understanding when it comes to mental health.