PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effect??

annie 1968
08-08-10, 20:57
Hi

I am currently on my 5th day taking 10mg of citalopram. I had a few side effects the first couple of days but they seemed to have eased off now. I am still feeling really anxious and cannot get rid of the feeling. Its almost like i have a very tight uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I was wondering if anyone else has this feeling as well? Is it a side effect of the cit or just my anxiety bubbling away? I just wish i could feel normal again!!

Thanks

Annie x

Dragonsblonde
08-08-10, 21:01
Hi

10mg is an introductory dose really to get your body used to taking the drug. I was on it for 16 days before increasing to 20mg which I have now been taking for 11 days. I has a few physical side effects and some increased anxiety. Oddly I found I had an odd two days with anxiety increasing a week after both starting the tablets and increasing them.

However I have just had my first weekend with none of the morning anxiety I get usually and when I am anxious it is so much less than it has been.

I will say though I have also changed my diet, started mindfulness meditation and chatted to a counsellor. Even with all that I now think the pills have settled and are starting to have a good effect.

As always though I will say if the feeling persists, bothers you or anything like that please chat to your GP about it

Jo

gregcool
09-08-10, 13:41
Hi there
well you are in the early days of the medication side efects.
but this is very normal..
give it another week and see how you feel,i know this will be hard another week in this way , but this is what you need to do,
stick with it and monitor,record blogs on hear for daily advice and speek to others for support,
Iv been where you are i know exactly how you fell,how desperate you can get for reasurance,,but trust me and others when we say ,,,IT WILL ALL FADE ..
By the way
What do we class as normal,,funny how we all say that,yet we are all so different..
but your normal old self is what you want im sure,,lol..
and you will with time and support,diet medication..

hold in there , then re check again in a few days ,
if in any doubt,see your doc or ring NHS direct 24-7
anytime of the day they have fantassic advice,,
good luck..Greg

annie 1968
09-08-10, 19:28
Thankyou for your replies:) I went to the docs today and he suggested i went straight to hospital to get my chest looked at. I spent 4 hours in a&e and they did every test thinkable and there is nothing wrong with my heart thankfully and all blood tests came back negative. They think it is definetely anxiety related and it a common symptom. Gregcool i am sticking with the citalopram as the side effects seemed to have eased. Think i need to do some relaxation and try not to get too anxious which is easier said than done. I'm going on holiday on Wed so have yet to conquer the plane journey lol. Thanks again for all your good advice:)