PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice needed on cutting addiction.

xxxenia
09-08-10, 03:38
My dad has been on 20mg of diazempam a day for the past 20 years. Its affecting his behaviour towards our family and everthing he does. I need some opinions from someone who has a successfull plan for coming off such a high dosage, or someone who knows alot about this perticular drug.

He has treid to come off them before but sufferd seziures and i'm very worried about him. Any help would be appreciated asap as he plans to start this week :(

Baggs
09-08-10, 09:16
I feel for you and your dad. I have been hooked on diazepam and it was hard to come off. But I was not on it for 20 years so cannot offer any advice, sorry. Just wanted to wish you good luck. All the best. Baggs.

xxxenia
10-08-10, 03:06
I feel for you and your dad. I have been hooked on diazepam and it was hard to come off. But I was not on it for 20 years so cannot offer any advice, sorry. Just wanted to wish you good luck. All the best. Baggs.

thanks for the support my dad saw that i came on here and hes agreed to let me help him.

Anyone whos come off them may be able to help, we're having to come up with a safe way to decrease the amount which will take years. I think he should start by cutting to 17.5 a day but he thinks he can do 15, as it's going to be his dose for the next 4 months i think 15 is too little.

eight days a week
19-08-10, 00:31
I absolutely agree, I think 15's far too little as a first step.

Professor Ashton is as far as I know the best authority on withdrawing from benzos, and from her website it suggests cutting down from 20mg daily by just 1 or 2mg every week or few weeks!

Please check it out xenia, 20 years is such a long time, why rush things and risk having a really hard time?

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm