PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, I'm Toni!

tones27tga
09-08-10, 10:17
I am 31 and have recently had an increase in my anxiety.

At 26 I had my first panic attack standing in line at a bank. By the time I had gotten to the front of the line I had worked myself up so much that I had to leave the bank (I thought I was going to faint). Things steadily got worse to the point where I couldn't drive over bridges or sit at traffic lights, I couldn't even walk across a busy road. I found though that if I had someone with me who knew about my panic attacks, I could do these things and I was very lucky to work with someone who would walk with me in to town at lunchtime if I needed to run errands.

My doctor prescribed me something (can't remember what the first pill was), I saw a counsellor a few times and my symptoms seemed to go away almost as quickly as they had come on.

12 months ago I lost my father suddenly and up until about 3 months ago I seemed to be coping. I had come off my pills (Fluox) and was having no problems. Starting about 3 months ago I found I was starting to suffer from health anxiety... every headache was a brain tumour, every chest pain or heart palpitation was a heart attack and I struggle to go to sleep at night (my father died in his sleep which I think is why I have this problem) and I started to freak out when approaching traffic lights. Health anxiety was not something I had experienced prior to my fathers death.

So I've been to the doctor, am back on Fluox and start counselling in two days. I'm not stoked about being back on pills but if it's what I need to do then so be it.

I've been reading some threads and stories on here and for the first time I don't feel alone. I am looking forward to the support on here, both receiving and giving.

xxx

diane07
09-08-10, 10:18
Hi tones27tga

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
09-08-10, 10:23
I hope that this site helps you as much as it's helped me. All the best. Baggs.

Vanilla Sky
09-08-10, 21:38
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

tones27tga
10-08-10, 02:24
Thank you all

:hugs: