PDA

View Full Version : Breathing

dodo
10-08-10, 11:25
Can incorrect breathing cause you to have palpitations or skipped beats?

I have realised that a lot of the time when I am moving around the house doing things that I unconciously (I have probably trained my body in some way to do this) hold my breath or breathe from my chest and not my stomach and then I get palpitations or skipped beats sensations. I wondered if the breathing causes this.

I certainly breathe from my chest when I am exercising. I can't seem to breathe from my stomach when exercising.

Does anyone know whether there is help available through the NHS etc to get some breathing retraining? Do CBT people do this for example?

BritTutor
10-08-10, 11:39

Serafina
10-08-10, 12:27
I was told by my councillor that when i have a panic attack my breathing changes to rapid fast breaths which he said if anyone breathed in that manner it would give them the same symptoms as that of someone having a panic attack, hence he taught me how to get myself out of the pattern that builds up to having an attack. It takes some concentration but i can manage it most of the time. My most recent therapist taught me this but the two previous to that didnt. (nhs)
Incorrect breathing can cause palpitations etc.

dodo
10-08-10, 19:56
So what do you do?