PDA

View Full Version : getting a proper diagnosis

gallnimrod
10-08-10, 15:08
Hi there,
I've been having problems with what I think is anxiety/panic for the last 6 months. I've no history of this previously. I actually feel quite physically uwell at times. Had loads test etc, can't find anything wrong apart from a bit of high blood pressure, which is still being investigated.
I'm waiting for a psychology appt at Gp's. Hope it wont be too much longer. Apparently CBT is supposed to be very effective?
My question to others is- HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO GET A PROPER DIAGNOSIS OF ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS?
It all seems so vague, I'm so fed up of feeling 'not quite right', even on a good day, I'm not my 'usual' self.
Another question to you all- DO YOU ACTUALLY EVER FIND OUT WHAT CAUSES THE ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS?
Sorry for the questions, but I'm struggling to get answers and maybe others who've had similar experiences can shed some light for me. I do appreciate everyone is different though.
Sorry! One more question,
HAS ANYONE DOWNLOADED THE BARRY JOE McDONAGH 'PANICAWAY' COURSE? OR IS IT A SCAM? I'm curious and desperate to try anything for a resolution to this awful experience?
Thank you to whoever reads this,
best wishes to you all!:)
Janex

joannap
10-08-10, 17:17
i felt very physically unwell when i first started with panic etc - do you actually feel panicked/fearful? it can be confusing knowing if it is actual illness or anxiety - i know this because i had an over active thyroid for ages last year and kept thinking it was stress! Anxiety ususally starts as a response to a stressful time/event in your life but it can seemingly come out of the blue. To make it even more complicated - we can trick ourselves into thinking we weren't stressed at all because when i had a breakdown i kept insisting it was my physical symptoms making me afraid but the truth was i had been very stressed for a long time which started to cause symptoms and then fear. It can be detrimental trying to find a cause because it is usually a mix of things that start it off - the best thing to do is to focus on recovery.

i have never heard of the course you describe but i can reccomend at last a life by paul david - he has his own website and the book i found to be the most helpful thing i had read x

tinydancer
11-08-10, 21:28
hello
I found the book 'How to master anxiety' by Joe Griffen and Ivan Tyrrell really useful for helping me understand WHY im suffering from anxiety, its based on something called the 'human givens' approach - which is at its simplist a list of things humans need in balance in order to not be stressed or anxious...i know that anxiety is very personal to the individual but i really related to some of the case studies and examples in the book.
I have also been advised to get CBT which im in the process of trying to organise, as its all very well understanding why you are anxious...but dealing with it and changing your behavior to manage it is another thing!
I know few people who have had CBT and they are all very positive about the results! so im hoping it can help me too!
to be honest it was only when i had a full blown panic attack and had to be seen by a paramedic at an exhibition i was working at, that i was told what was happening...although to be fair id not actually been to see a doctor before that!

gallnimrod
12-08-10, 22:26
Thanks so much for your replies.
I have had LOADS of blood tests, urine tests, ct head,referral to endocrinologist, 24hr ecg. Am waiting for 24hr blood pressure and cardiology referral now. Might still be a problem with my blood pressure. I do feel anxious and have had a very bad week with x4 what seem to be panic attacks. I've been to A&E a few times, my first attack was while I was driving down the motorway!
I have had lots of stress, dad died, mums got dementia and m,y 20yr old daughter had cancer when she was 16. (thank god she's ok now).
I seemed to cope well with all these events, maybe this is a build up of stress or repression of my feelings from these events?
All I know is I'm not sure how long I can live like this. I'm at the point where I'll try anything.
I'm hoping I'll have my appt with a psychologist soon.
Tanks again for your replies, its good to know I'm not the only one going through this hell.