PDA

View Full Version : New here, would like advice

rossgirl
24-02-06, 11:16
Hi all,
Have enjoyed reading your previous posts, found lots of useful information, but would like to introduce myself and hopefully get the benefit of some advice!

I am a 34 yr old female with two children, 8 and 4, and a reasonably supportive partner. For about six months now, I have been suffering from terrible anxiety attacks, particularly health related. I started off with a bad back, then an inner ear infection, both after a particularly long stress period at work. From these, developed panic attacks, manifesting themselves by way of fast heartbeat, sweats, nausea, bloating and muscular pains. I even ended up in hospital for three days after a particularly bad one, so I at least had the benefit of a full MOT!

I have been told that I am 'borderline' fibromyalgic, I have a lot of muscular pain, especially in my upper back, neck and chest...it comes and goes, but is enhanced by cold wet weather, which we have had a lot of lately! I find it feels as if I have a tight band around my chest, almost restricting my breathing sometimes, and a specific area in my left side, sort of level with my bra strap, is always tight and tender. I worry profusely about this, I am convinced I have some sort of tumour or swelling there, and obsessively rub it. Can someone reassure me? I know in my heart of hearts that there isn't really anything there anatomically, or that anything wrong with me would have been picked up when I was in hospital ( I did have a chest x-ray), but I am one of those people who always think doctors have missed something!

This probably started from an early age, my mum suffered a disabling stroke caused by an aneurysm when I was 11 and she was 34 (yes, my age!) She went continually to the GP for a week complaining of pain and weakness, he told her it was stress and to go home and lie down...you guessed it, she collapsed at home, and underwent a 3 hour op, 3 weeks in intensive care, and months of rehab before she could return home.

So you may see a pattern emerging! I do, I studied Psychology at university, so have learnt all about this, and can apply logic to everyone else, but not to myself. I know it is foolish to have such worries, my mum's case was a one in a million, but I can't help thinking I am next. It is destroying my relationship, he finds it so difficult to understand me when I am literally fighting with myself to stop myself ringing the doctor when I have the slightest ache or pain, I can see it is barmy, but when it is actually happening to you, it is so difficult to see what damage you are doing.

I am taking supplements in the form of St Johns Wort, magnesium, Evening Primrose Oil, Fish Oils and a mega multi vitamin, I eat reasonably healthily, I drink a glass of wine a night. I try to relax as much as possible with two young children. I have started (only yesterday) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, so am hoping this will provide me with some solutions, and methods to deal with this, which is slowly destroying me. Even now, I am sitting here feeling the pain in my ribs and beginning to panic, feeling in need of reassurance. I tried to call my doctor in a moment of madness an hour ago, fortunately the line was engaged, so I couldn't get through...and I managed to pull myself together and remember how silly that was.

I would be so grateful for any advice anyone can offer. I am able to sit back from myself sometimes and see it objectively, but any help would be so gratefully appreciated. I am too young to fall victim to this terrible affliction, I have two children who I need to be there for, and it is destroying me to know they are seeing me do this to myself.

Thank you so much.

jackie
24-02-06, 11:19
i could be listening about meself here. you are so not alone, today i have a blood clot, two days ago i had heart failure. that is my only two.would be a geg if it wasnt so terrible to live with

hope it helps to no you are not alone

take care
jackie

clickaway
24-02-06, 11:26
Hi there,

I am so pleased that you have had an MOT recently, and also that you have found us here. I'm sure you'll gain a lot of advice and support from the people here to help you with your health anxiety.

A warm welcome to you,

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

molly15
24-02-06, 12:49
hi like jackie says its like listening to myself .i too ended up in hospital after a bad attack.there are many of us on here the same as you.like you say your anxiety seems to be because of your mum.but that is 1 in a million chance try to hold on to that.i hope your mum is ok now.you will get lots of help here.take care marcia

i have to do it for my kids if not for myself marciaxx

rossgirl
24-02-06, 14:05
Hi, thanks for the replies so far, it does sound like I am not the only one doesn't it?! In reply to you Marcia, unfortunately my mum died six years ago from liver failure, after catching Hep C from an earlier blood transfusion. Now you can see why I have distrust of the medical profession!! Seems as thought the odds are stacked against me...
Amber x

Piglet
24-02-06, 14:12
I think once we have this scary scenario going round in our heads it's sooo hard to let go, thus we start a whole vicious circle of fear.

I ruined a whole summer fretting over a mole a few years ago, everytime I looked at it I felt the cold finger of dread come over me. Eventually I had it removed and it was clear. The lesson for me there was as soon as I start worrying like that again then I must seek reassurance.

It's good that you have had a clean bill of health but I think I would go back one last time and tell your doctor just how much this is scaring you. It is not at all silly and worth really putting to bed. Yes the people around you can see that what your scared of is highly unlikely but I think you need to get this off your chest properly.

Health anxiety isn't funny but there is reassurance there, so I would go for it then this can stop playing on your mind.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

molly15
24-02-06, 17:50
hi sorry about your mum that must hav been really hard.i can see where your coming from not trusting the docs.try and remember because it happened to your mum it dosent mean it will happen to you.you have been checked and given the all clear.i know its hard health anxiety is a nightmare but you can get over it im trying to at the moment.keep holding on to the fact that phisically you are healthy.take care marcia

i have to do it for my kids if not for myself marciaxx

nomorepanic
24-02-06, 19:49
I am sure the CBT will be a big help to you in overcoming these HA worries. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck

Nicola

KimL
24-02-06, 20:03
Hi everyone. I was given details of this website by a friend and have read with interest many of the postings. I have suffered from panic attacks on and off for about 10 years but for a year have had severe anxiety with panic disorder. the panic/anxiety is mostly related to illness/back pain. I had a hysterectemy about 10 years ago and have been on HRT and I often wonder if this started it all. I'm much better than I was a year ago but the panic shoots through me like an electric shock sometimes and then it can linger for days. I found Claire Weekes' books wonderful, I read them so many times. She was so beyond the times in her thinking. I suffer from agoraphobia and at one point it was awful but I'm improving but find it hard to do some things on my own. Wish I had found this website last year.

hunny_as
24-02-06, 22:50
there all right . me i almost have brain tumer ever day i am one them lol

glad you posted

amanda x

feege
25-02-06, 00:06
Hi everyone

Well this sounds just like me too!! At least we know we are not alone. I think health anxiety is at least justifiable in some ways - probably the malaise of the intelligent and questioning personality lol!

I think that when we are run down and have our stress levels raised by other things it gets out of hand and this is the time of year for it.

We are swamped by the media telling us to be careful of this health risk and that health risk, viruses, diseases, mistakes the NHS make, the dangers of foods and pollutants and chemicals etc etc.... we soak it all up and it sinks into our subconscious minds....

I don't have any answers (as you will see from my other posts) but CBT does seem to be the way forward if you can get it.

When I am not too stressed I can distract myself and get better for periods, but from time to time I get swamped. I guess, like bouts of depression, or other anxieties we just have to sit it out and use all the techniques available, relaxation, positive affirmations, distraction, exercise, etc etc and accept that it will get better with time....

Good luck everyone!

Fee xxxxxx
www.like2like.com

vicki1001
26-02-06, 00:53
Hi everyone,

I am also new this forum and like rossgirl have been reading all the posts here for the last week or so and found them so helpful.

I am 34 years old and been suffering from health and general anxiety for about 6 years now on and off. Sometimes i can go months feeling fine and then something will set me off and i will then spend months trying to convince myself i don't have some terminal illness or another. I have lost count of the amount of times i ahve ended up in a&e sure that i am having a heart attack/stroke etc only to be told i am having a panic attack and i am sure my doctor is sick of the site of me!

4 months ago my 3 year relationship broke down due to my anxiety as he could no longer stand my behaviour as my worries over my health and life in general spread into worries over our relationship. Of couse the break up was just about the last thing i needed as it just confirmed all my worries about my relationship. The following anxiety has caused me to ache all over, especially in my chest and back, i have that horrible swallowing thing going on and constantly feel tired. I then of course forget that my symptons are anxiety related and begin to imagine that i must have a bad heart or lung cancer or throat cancer and will certainly be dead very soon.

Even though i know that i have none of the above i just can't help this thinking sometimes. I know that if i really had any of the above i would be dead by now as i have had these symptons on and off for years and realising that can calm me down for a while. Also i notice that when i am distracted or out with friends having fun the symptons cease which would not happen if i was really ill.

I have felt very embarassed about this for a long time as i feel a bit mad and i worry that people will think i'm stupid to feel this way so i am so happy to find this forum and see that i am definately not alone in this. Reading all the posts here has helped me relax a lot and given me some reassurance so i thank all of you posting here for that.

My doctor has finally had enough of seeing me (she is actually very kind and understanding) and has decided to put me on some meds for the first time. As i live in france she's prescribed a french med called Stresam which i have started taking today. I hope that this will have a positive effect and me some way in getting my life back to some kind of normality. Also i am trying to concentrate more on the good in my life, my son, my job etc, rather than the crap stuff in the hope that a better attitude to life will help in some way.

Sorry to post such a bloody essay! Just got the courage to write it all down today i guess - putting all down in print feels like a positive step. Like rossgirl i would be really grateful for any advice/tips from anyone kind enough to read my post.

Thanks a lotxx

Sue K with 5
26-02-06, 04:31
Hi Rossgirl

Thank you so much for posting this. It does put things into perspective when I read other peoples fears and allows me to feel so isolated with my own

Thank you

Sue with 5

scknight

nomorepanic
26-02-06, 12:26
Hi Vicki

Welcome aboard. You may like to start your own post as well as sometimes posts get lost within others.

Lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

vicki1001
26-02-06, 14:55
Thanks Nicola,
Vicki :)

newbee
26-02-06, 19:25
Hi Rossgirl.

I'm guy but I have the same thing going on as you do. I'm almost 28 but I have 3 kids. My marriage if suffering just like your relationship. I we just took on too much for our minds and body to handle. I can't just stared taking meds like you. I'm crossing both fingers. let me know about you progress.