PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram & Depression

Robertc160882
24-02-06, 11:43
Hi,

This is my first posting on this site but I have tried for a bit to find something like this just to see what other people are going through and to know I’m not alone. I have recently started on Citalopram
For a mixture of depression and panic attacks.

This is now day five on them and I guess I’m looking for reassurance I feel really awful as I’m writing this. The partner has went out and left me with the 3 kids all under 3 so I’m finding it very hard at the moment. I have found that Citalopram seems to make me more anxious in the morning and very tearful and I’m wondering if any one else has experienced this. The doctor has given me other medications to keep me clam whilst these take effect but I really don’t want to take them as they are addictive.

Yesterday has been my best day yet but today isn’t going so well I felt so relaxed and was able to not pace the floor and relax and watch TV. I don’t know if this is just side effects as I wasn’t that bad before starting them I could relax and watch TV but was struggling with coping with the kids etc with the attacks.

I keep looking at the clock and thinking when will it be time for bed as I believe the 2 week mark is when you start to feel the benefit of this drug. I have found my self also to be more tearful and just have outbursts for no reason at all has anyone else had this? Also has anyone had the beneifit of this drug before the landmark 2 weeks?

Robert

trac67
24-02-06, 12:08
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I was on citalopram for nealry 8 years and they did help me a lot. It was about a month before I really felt the benefit of them, and for the first few weeks they did heighten my anxiety before they helped it. Stick with it and you will start to feel better.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

ANXIETY26
24-02-06, 12:19
Hi Robert,

I was put on Citalopram about five years ago. They really turned my life around. The side effects were terrible when starting it but they did calm down after a while. I noticed you said that the doctor has given you some calming medication to help whilst starting the Citalopram. Im assuming that's Vallium, which can be addictive in large doses but I think 2mg is just a drop in the ocean. I used to take it when I got really edgy. Some advice i'd like to offer you though is that when you do decide to withdraw from the medication then do it very slowly. It got to a stage where the Citalopram really helped me and I thought I was fine and stopped them abruptly. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE I THINK. I tried going back on it again but it never had the same effect as the first time.

Good Luck

Robertc160882
24-02-06, 12:24
Hi ,

Thanks for your posts it does help just to know other people have been helped with them. But i'm sure anyone who has been on them will know that 2 weeks seems like a lifeline. I have been on other stuff about four years ago so you think i should remember it does get better.

Robert

Robertc160882
24-02-06, 12:33
Another thing I forgot to ask when do people normally return to a normal life etc work and that because I do want to go back to work. My partner is so worried about money and stuff as we owe out a lot of money so I do realise I have responsibilities and want to help. I wondering if it is good to set yourself goals and if two weeks since starting the meds is realistic as I have never had anything other than prozac before.

trac67
24-02-06, 15:07
Hi Robert,

The best thing to do is to take things a day at a time, dont try to rush things with the meds, and just return to work once you feel you are able too.

Stay positive and you will get there.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

wendy
24-02-06, 17:58
Hi Robert

I tried taking these tablets a few weeks ago but became so obssessed with side effects that I have to give up, I then change to Cipralex and again became too obssessed with the effects that I couldnt continue, You have done well so far so try and stick with it as many people say after a few weeks the results are very good

If at anytime you are struggling feel free to send me a message - Hope your soon feeling better

Wendy x

Robertc160882
24-02-06, 18:06
I know the main problem I’m facing is the side effects as they seem to get a bit worse each day even although the good parts seem to come bad but the bad is still out waying the good. I hopeful that given a few weeks from now everything will be stable I just don’t know of it is the panic attacks or depression as a result of panic attacks.

nomorepanic
24-02-06, 19:57
Robert

Welcome aboard.

The side effects should go within 2-3 weeks, so hang in there.

Nicola

Alexandra
24-02-06, 22:52
Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum.

Ive been on Citalopram for quite a while now, with view to actually she says fingers crossed later this year. Anyway i do'nt remember having any side affects when i started taking them, but if i forget to take one then i know about it & feel abit sick, but other than that i have found them to be pretty good.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

sal
24-02-06, 23:19
Hi Robert

At the start of taking those meds i though i would never get through it. But i persevered and they have helped me so much. Hope and i am sure they will do the same for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

jondc
28-02-06, 16:18
Hi robert, im on citalopram at the moment and have been for the last year. It took me from a total wreck to being able to live my life as normal as i could hope. So there is light at the end of the tunnel and although it may make ypu feel bad 4 a while things will pick up. But remember its important not to just rely on medication to help u. U need to help yourself, eat, sleep and exercise are sooo important! give your self something to focus on.
Take care jon