PDA

View Full Version : Spiral of worry again...

Natalie x
11-08-10, 09:52
Does anyone else fidn it difficult to take their pulse on their neck? You may have seen my post from yesterday about heart worries, and earlier I took my pulse, but it felt as though I had like a double beat. I'm not sure though if when I put my hand on my neck, it was the end of another beat and that's why I've thought I've had an extra beat. I'm worrying again after trying my hardest not to take my pulse. Any re-assurance would be great. Thanks x

Natalie x
11-08-10, 10:27
Anyone? :weep:

BritTutor
11-08-10, 11:20

dodo
11-08-10, 11:37
I don't want to cause more alarm, and I am sure I am going to, but please don't take the pulse in your neck. Seriously you don't want to be pressing down on these veins as they send the blood to your brain. If you really must (and you and I both need to stop checking so I'm a fine one to talk lol) then take it in your wrist.

Like pp said you (and I) really need to break this checking cycle. In a book I have it suggests not to go cold turkey as this will just cause you to be more anxious. But gradually phase out the amount of time you check. So if you check once every ten minutes then check once every twenty etc etc.

Another thing to try is doing something other than checking. So for example wear a hair bobble on your wrist/elastic band and every time you want to check pull at it really hard and this will distract you as obviously it will hurt your wrist and you mind will be taken away from the thought of checking.

Natalie x
11-08-10, 12:22
Thank you for your replies. Another thing I get is liek a feeling of somethig taking your breath away and I'm scared that my heart has stopped and that's what leads to me checking my pulse :weep: I need some re-assurance that this has not happened. Thanks x

BritTutor
11-08-10, 12:37

dodo
11-08-10, 12:38
Your heart hasn't stopped as you're still here. As pp said you need to somehow accept that the anxiety of this happening is what is causing your symptoms.

Have you read any literature such as the Claire Weekes book?

BritTutor
11-08-10, 12:39

Natalie x
11-08-10, 12:46
Thanks again for your replies. I get myself into such a state of panic and find it really hard to get out of. Yes I have Claire Weekes book 'Self Help For Your Nerves' at the moment. It's not that I feel out of breath, it's just as though something takes my breath away which I then think my heart has stopped. I have also noticed that I hold my breath a lot, for what reason I don't know!

Have you both had/have worries over your heart? And did you ever get the heart stopping feeling?

x

BritTutor
11-08-10, 12:50

Natalie x
11-08-10, 13:05
I often get that too when it goes quiet. Like I'll do this thing where I shake my leg all the time when I'm nervous (sitting down obv) and then when I stop it's as though I'm realxed and then I get the feeling as though my heart has stopped.

I'll try my hardest to stop worrying and checking my pulse. I'm going to my CBT session tonight, so I will be sure to tell him how I've been feeling x

dodo
11-08-10, 13:07
Same here and still going through it, but slowing getting there bit by bit.

I also hold my breath a lot without realising it which is when the problems are worse. And also breath a lot from my chest rather than my stomach.

Natalie x
11-08-10, 13:10
So do you ever feel like your heart has stopped because you hold your breath? I think this is what sets it off for me x

dodo
11-08-10, 13:18
No, not because I've held my breath, just that it skips flutters because of that.

It's good you're going to CBT, I can't seem to get it even though I keep asking.

BritTutor
11-08-10, 13:19

Natalie x
11-08-10, 13:23
You're right. I need to tackle all of this. I have been doing so well in the past month and a bit and now I feel like I'm back to square one again!I'll speak to my therapist tonight and work out something to help me x

dodo
11-08-10, 13:28
Let us know what your therapist says, make sure you tell them the symptoms you've described and see what they say. Take care and look forward to hearing your update tomorrow X

BritTutor
11-08-10, 13:30

Natalie x
11-08-10, 13:30
Thank guys. Hopefully I'll be feeling a lot more positive later. Thanks again :hugs:x