PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Our Culture is partially to blame?

fizzandfiddles
11-08-10, 15:34
Hi, maybe this is me overthinking but dont you think that English Scociety might create an evironment that might induce anxiety.

For a start capitalisam means there is always a pressure to work more, longer and harder. Things are needed to be perfectr and Now Now Now to compeate and be effiecnient. Vertualy all our employment is in the Service Industry. Its an unhealthy focus on money

There is little to be porud of at the moment, nothing actually usefull is made, we have no industry and no money of our own.

People tend to live in the past and always have a feeling that things cant be done, yet other contries have a more "can do" and "get up and go" attitudue.

The "Stiff upper lip" attitude, means socieal interatction is inhibited and not open, people ignore other people talking on the bus and I know I for one get realy up tight when a stranger starts talking to me for no realson in somware like a waiting room. It also means people dont complain much for things to improve, just moan about things so sothing gets done and nothing gets improved.

In shool I was always told that the harder you work and the better grades you get the better job yourl get the more money youl urn and the less effort you have to put in. - Now ive "grown up" I see its just not that way. I cant do what I want to do with my life becasue too manny of us have been deluded that we can do the same. As a relult Arts and Entertaimenment Law and other desierable carrea parths are over saturated and thease people have no back up plan - people are lost with no ware to turn to no inspireation and no aspireation.

There also seems to be a culture of fear anger and shame promoted by the media. I dont think there are genuily more bad people in the world, its just that nioce things dont sell papers etc.

Heavy drinking society (people vomiting in the streets etc) also dosnt help.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but needed to share it.
please reply if you agree or wish to coment or have arguments for/againts
or even potential solutions/ways in wich the individual can cope with it whould be much apretiated.
:huh:

GlasgowGuy
12-08-10, 14:26
Know where you are coming from. Look back a few generations and people had their problems but is a big 'Keep up with the Jones' attitude nowadays.

Know where you are coming from.

eeyorelover
12-08-10, 17:16
I do think that modernization (the capitalistic attitude,faster pace, and even technological advances) have added to the increase in anxiety over the years but I also believe it's due to our changes in sleep habits, our eating habits, and even pollution has caused some of our issues.
Before electricity humans got up with the sun and went to bed when it set. Now there are whole generations of insomniacs who stay up all night and don't get the rest their bodies need.
We used to eat fresh foods, whole foods! Now nearly everything we consume has preservatives of some sort! Filled with chemicals that are doing God knows what to our bodies!!!
I truly believe these changes in environment are also contributing to our anxiety issues!
xxx
Sandy

blue moon
13-08-10, 05:00
I blame where I come from and culture for my problems,living through the iran and Iraq war 20years ago,I have suffered from anxiety and post traumatic stress.I lost a lot of my family and friends.I am now living in Australia now and I love it, the freedom here you do not have in Iran.
Petra

xfilme
16-08-10, 12:42
thats exactly the reason im trying to move to the netherlands x

fizzandfiddles
16-08-10, 15:51
thanks every one, glad im not alone in this

Jaguar
16-08-10, 15:54
Well said FizznFiddles no where you are coming from spot on :yesyes: x

eight days a week
19-08-10, 00:42
I think modern developed societies in general increase these problems. Some countries or parts of them will be worse than others. I get the impression Australia, for example, is much more laid back and with closer and more open communities in many areas than England.

We're too far removed from natural communities, and nature in general. People who live in primitive areas of the world and are in tune with their natural environment don't suffer from panic attacks, depression, and all sorts of other things!

leafar
19-08-10, 01:27
On the one hand, sometimes external things can have an effect on people, if we let them. On the other hand, everyone is capable of coping with pretty much anything. The worst thing about the times that we're living in is the fact that everything is so quick and convenient, things are made too easy, and people aren't raised to be tough. It's a contributing "cause", but it's no excuse. I'm glad that I have an issue with anxiety, I love knowing that it is the flipside of a major strength that I have, and I appreciate the challenge, and once it's over, not only will I be ok, but I'll be stronger than the average person. Does anyone else feel that underneath it all they're actually a really strong person experiencing a really weird and interesting challenge, as if someone somewhere has devised a lesson plan to get us to become what we were meant to be? God bless my panic. I'll miss it when it's gone. What a great lesson. We're very lucky, not everyone gets to go to this tough school. And instead of a grade at the end, you get massive self esteem and confidence.

blue moon
19-08-10, 02:31
I think modern developed societies in general increase these problems. Some countries or parts of them will be worse than others. I get the impression Australia, for example, is much more laid back and with closer and more open communities in many areas than England.

We're too far removed from natural communities, and nature in general. People who live in primitive areas of the world and are in tune with their natural environment don't suffer from panic attacks, depression, and all sorts of other things!
Are you referring to Australia being primitive?,I have been in different 3rd world countries and witnessed people suffering from all of the above,but unfortunately they do not have the resourses to mental health as we do in our countries.
Petra

eeyorelover
20-08-10, 01:45
I don't think he inferred that Australia is primitive, just that the communities there seem more 'tight knit' and therefore less keeping up with the Jones' type attitudes.

Lencoboy
27-11-22, 09:38
Wow, I've just stumbled upon this ancient thread from 2010 via the 'Similar threads' link at the bottom of the page when I was retrospectively browsing my thread about 'Cancel Culture', which could have easily been started in 2022 as many of the issues mentioned remain just as relevant now as they did some 12 years ago, but sadly we barely seem to have learned anything since then and still seem to keep repeating the same old mistakes and habits today, especially with all our same old same old indulgence in 'keeping up with the Joneses' and the 'rat race' stuff!

It's as if the recent Covid pandemic hasn't even happened and I've still overheard quite a few people recently enthusiastically talking about their beloved holidays abroad that they've booked for over Christmas, despite all the constant talk of economic Armageddon.

ankietyjoe
28-11-22, 10:40
Interesting necro thread to bump, but the nature of it is something I've been preaching for years on this forum.

What we percieve as normal, is not normal to our subconscious, and often causes decades of low level stress.

Lencoboy
28-11-22, 18:25
Interesting necro thread to bump, but the nature of it is something I've been preaching for years on this forum.

What we percieve as normal, is not normal to our subconscious, and often causes decades of low level stress.

I did bump this tread with caution, but the point of it is that it sadly seems that nothing has really changed during the time that has elapsed since this thread was first created in 2010.

Self-inflicted stuff, and all that, especially as we've been repeatedly letting sleazy corrupt politicians stay in power, especially due to a lot of people having been caught napping during election times in the intervening period since this thread was first created, but still continue to bemoan the current lot in power.

NoraB
29-11-22, 09:37
The "Stiff upper lip" attitude, means socieal interatction is inhibited and not open, people ignore other people talking on the bus and I know I for one get realy up tight when a stranger starts talking to me for no realson in somware like a waiting room. It also means people dont complain much for things to improve, just moan about things so sothing gets done and nothing gets improved.

I'm confused...:huh:

What's the problem here? Is it that people don't talk, or that they do?

Fizz doesn't appear to have been active for a long time, but my advice for social interaction prevention is to bang on a massive set of headphones (ear buds are less obvious) and stare at a book, at ya phone, or out the window. :yesyes:

There also seems to be a culture of fear anger and shame promoted by the media. I dont think there are genuily more bad people in the world, its just that nioce things dont sell papers etc.

What about all the shit that goes on that we don't get to read about?

Lencoboy
04-12-22, 12:07
What about all the shit that goes on that we don't get to read about?

Things like child battering, mistreatment and humiliation of people with learning disabilities (of all ages) by power-mad individuals, and various other things that many of us would ultimately otherwise like to believe were consigned to history?

While those things mentioned above may overall be declining in prevalence compared to in the past, there still no doubt continues to be several episodes of them 'behind closed doors', where the perpetrators are often right 'smart alecs', and also while the authorities are often caught napping, a la Winterbourne View and Baby P in the late 2000s and more recently the Arthur Hughes tragedy.

NoraB
05-12-22, 09:07
there still no doubt continues to be several episodes of them 'behind closed doors',

Several episodes? The MAJORITY goes on behind closed doors. There are many men (and women) walking around out there who, by rights, should be locked up for abusing their partners/spouses.

In one year, (2020) it's estimated that 1.6 million women suffered domestic abuse. That's more than a 'few episodes'.

As for the 'authorities'...

The police, who consistently ignore women's pleas for help and in too many cases, 'help' and 'belief' comes too late.

Same for vulnerable children. Kids die, and then the people in 'authority' are forced to pull their finger out and do their jobs for a bit until complacency sets in again and there's another tragedy which could have been avoided had they done their jobs properly.

Lolalee1
05-12-22, 10:00
Here in Aus it is estimated that 2 women a week are killed due to domestic violence.
A DVO isn’t worth the paper it is written on.As for the police a lot of them are abusers.

NoraB
06-12-22, 07:33
Here in Aus it is estimated that 2 women a week are killed due to domestic violence.
A DVO isn’t worth the paper it is written on.As for the police a lot of them are abusers.

In the UK, every year, over 100 women and 30 men are murdered due to domestic abuse and the average is 35 assaults before the police are called. (Some people never call the police).

And what about all those neighbours who pretend to be deaf or turn a blind eye to someone's suffering?

My stepcousin was killed by her partner in Australia. She had four young children and the youngest has no memories of her mum thanks to that pathetic excuse for a human being. (I'll never, ever, forget that phone call from my aunty).

Lolalee1
06-12-22, 09:43
Yep, I had neighbors that turned a blind eye and when the cops questioned them they didn’t hear anything the MF’s.

That is sad about your step cousin,Nora and for the children left without their mum.The statistics are terrible here for such a small population
It is worse in our First Nations communities.

Lencoboy
06-12-22, 11:27
Several episodes? The MAJORITY goes on behind closed doors. There are many men (and women) walking around out there who, by rights, should be locked up for abusing their partners/spouses.

In one year, (2020) it's estimated that 1.6 million women suffered domestic abuse. That's more than a 'few episodes'.

As for the 'authorities'...

The police, who consistently ignore women's pleas for help and in too many cases, 'help' and 'belief' comes too late.

Same for vulnerable children. Kids die, and then the people in 'authority' are forced to pull their finger out and do their jobs for a bit until complacency sets in again and there's another tragedy which could have been avoided had they done their jobs properly.

The problem is that many of us for many years now have had the 'it's someone else's problem' and 'I've got far more important things to be concerned about', coupled with our general lack of faith in the police and the authorities in general, of which largely comes down to the 'caught napping' syndrome, which has gone on for years now.

In fact, many children and vulnerable adults have almost always been on the receiving end of 'victim-blaming' and being told the same old same old excuses time and time again, such as 'they were probably asking for it', 'they probably pushed their parents/carers/partners/spouses/siblings to it', 'a bloody good hiding never did past generations any harm', etc.

And a lot of the campaign adverts, PIFs, etc on TV; many people eventually just switch off from them, especially as they often feel powerless to do much about many of the issues covered being conveyed to us, plus also having a tendency to suffer from so-called 'compassion fatigue'.

But the authorities will still no doubt always be more than willing to gleefully woe betide us Auties for stimming and having meltdowns in public, issue us with ASBOs and put the fear of God into us with endless lectures about 'zero tolerance' and generally treat us like we're the bane of their lives, while still often ignoring the 'real' menaces to society and repeatedly letting them off scot-free!

NoraB
07-12-22, 08:41
In fact, many children and vulnerable adults have almost always been on the receiving end of 'victim-blaming' and being told the same old same old excuses time and time again, such as 'they were probably asking for it', 'they probably pushed their parents/carers/partners/spouses/siblings to it', 'a bloody good hiding never did past generations any harm', etc.

The fault lies with the abuser. It's their issues and shortcomings which cause them to abuse other people.

I didn't 'push' anybody to abuse me. Nor did I 'ask for it'.

But the authorities will still no doubt always be more than willing to gleefully woe betide us Auties for stimming and having meltdowns in public, issue us with ASBOs and put the fear of God into us with endless lectures about 'zero tolerance' and generally treat us like we're the bane of their lives, while still often ignoring the 'real' menaces to society and repeatedly letting them off scot-free!

An autistic meltdown is loss of control due to extreme distress. The last thing a distressed autistic needs is to be screamed at, handcuffed, and thrown into the back of a police car, but if the autism training isn't there, then the understanding won't be there.

Supporting autistic people in police custody (autism.org.uk) (https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/police-custody)

Lencoboy
08-12-22, 17:49
The fault lies with the abuser. It's their issues and shortcomings which cause them to abuse other people.

I didn't 'push' anybody to abuse me. Nor did I 'ask for it'.

An autistic meltdown is loss of control due to extreme distress. The last thing a distressed autistic needs is to be screamed at, handcuffed, and thrown into the back of a police car, but if the autism training isn't there, then the understanding won't be there.

Supporting autistic people in police custody (autism.org.uk) (https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/police-custody)

I agree with you 100% Nora.

The real issue IMO is the chronic lack of accountability, 'blame' culture, and the fact that many people stubbornly refuse to change their ways and move with the times.

Even long before all the cutbacks of the past decade or so, and back when there was supposedly more funding available for professions like the police, SS, NHS, education, etc, a certain proportion of individuals who worked in those professions seemed unwilling to get their sh1t together and endlessly seemed to come up with excuse after excuse, plus there were also quite a few that were lazy and seemingly paid to sit around doing very little while inadvertently bringing down many of the 'genuine' hard-working individuals that many of whom have sadly quit many of such professions in their droves over the past 20-odd years, particularly as a result of the serial 'nappers' and time-wasters, coupled with being chronically overworked, underpaid, and often undervalued by the system and society in general. I've read that amongst some of the worst offenders are certain school head teachers and governors who have been known to deny that bullying even happens in their schools in order to appease OFSTED, then punishing the victims of bullying while often ignoring the perpetrators and letting them off scot-free time and time again. And that's been going on for eons now.

It also makes my blood boil when certain people still admit to believing that autism is a condition that's been largely 'invented' over the past 30-odd years or so in order to justify inappropriate behaviours and lazy parenting in their opinions. Totally wrong; we just weren't acknowledged by wider society in the past to the extent we are now, especially before the 90s, and often 'covered up' or 'hidden' in some form or another.

NoraB
09-12-22, 08:50
It also makes my blood boil when certain people still admit to believing that autism is a condition that's been largely 'invented' over the past 30-odd years or so

Autism's always been here. Except that the autistics of 100,000 years ago were not treated like shite or shunned; they were respected for their unique abilities and for their fundamental part in human evolution.

https://neurosciencenews.com/autism-evolution-5527/

Diversity=human success (Rue on that, haters) :yesyes:

Lencoboy
10-12-22, 19:37
BTW Nora, thanks for that link to the NAS site a couple of posts upthread. It's got some interesting and useful articles on it in general, as well as the specific article you linked above.

NoraB
11-12-22, 07:55
You're welcome. :shades:

Lencoboy
01-01-23, 19:06
I recall having a conversation with another male client at my day centre on the day of our Christmas dinner in December (who doesn't normally attend on the same days as me) and he was telling me that he believes that the NAS are a corrupt organisation, similar to the FM whose username was 'Ponder' (now barred from this forum) also seemed to imply last year.

That particular client is very opinionated, has very right-wing (especially pro-Brexit) and often racist views, and says he hates Burton because it's the Punjab now and not Burton anymore, despite him being about 7 years younger than me. I pointed out to him that the local Asian population in the area have pretty much always existed throughout his entire lifetime of residing there, nor have they knowingly affected him personally in any detrimental way.

I reckon that person has probably been reading far too much dubious stuff online, especially on social media. Plus I don't personally think Burton (for better or worse) is anything remotely like the Punjab, just a historically industrial town that happens to have a few (generally harmless) ethnic minority individuals residing there, with a few community facilities tailored to their needs. Nor can I normally sense any significant tensions in the air in said area, otherwise I probably wouldn't be attending a day centre there myself.

Lencoboy
02-01-23, 10:07
I recall having a conversation with another male client at my day centre on the day of our Christmas dinner in December (who doesn't normally attend on the same days as me) and he was telling me that he believes that the NAS are a corrupt organisation, similar to the FM whose username was 'Ponder' (now barred from this forum) also seemed to imply last year.

That particular client is very opinionated, has very right-wing (especially pro-Brexit) and often racist views, and says he hates Burton because it's the Punjab now and not Burton anymore, despite him being about 7 years younger than me. I pointed out to him that the local Asian population in the area have pretty much always existed throughout his entire lifetime of residing there, nor have they knowingly affected him personally in any detrimental way.

I reckon that person has probably been reading far too much dubious stuff online, especially on social media. Plus I don't personally think Burton (for better or worse) is anything remotely like the Punjab, just a historically industrial town that happens to have a few (generally harmless) ethnic minority individuals residing there, with a few community facilities tailored to their needs. Nor can I normally sense any significant tensions in the air in said area, otherwise I probably wouldn't be attending a day centre there myself.

This was just one of my random musings of yesterday BTW.

Possibly because I'm meant to be returning to my day centre tomorrow (3rd Jan), but that particular client I was referring to yesterday won't be there as he doesn't normally attend on the same days as me.

pulisa
03-01-23, 09:25
That's a good job, Lenco. I'm sure he must wind you up so best to avoid having these types of conversation with him if you happen to see him anytime soon?

Lencoboy
04-01-23, 11:11
That's a good job, Lenco. I'm sure he must wind you up so best to avoid having these types of conversation with him if you happen to see him anytime soon?

Definitely.

Despite having a similar condition to me, he comes across as a bit of an ill-informed, attention-seeking, 'know-it-all' rabble-rouser who's stuck in some kind of 90s timewarp (he was born sometime around the mid 80s), but generally for the wrong reasons in the case of the BIB.

In the case of the above BIB, he has often been known to boast about his harsh hard-line treatments he was on the receiving end of as a child for his Autie-related behaviours by his parents, school teachers, etc, such as being smacked (by his parents) and severely punished (by both his parents and teachers) for the slightest stims and other behaviours often regarded by neurotypicals as 'inappropriate', boasting it 'never did him any harm' and it 'taught him to behave properly'. He thinks people get away with far too much these days and also believes the 'zero tolerance' of the 90s and 2000s should be brought back, which I don't think actually ever went away overall, but rather pursued differently over the past decade or so (and more typically as an absolute last resort rather than willy-nilly), and generally for the better.

I'm sorry, but times have moved on since that client in question's childhood and school days, even though there will still always be the odd 'bad apples' in society who still remain set in their ways and believe that persons with LDs should be 'seen and not heard', but on the other hand the staff at my day centre said that those radical views, beliefs and opinions of that particular client are still his choice as it's still a free country, even though they may not exactly agree with a lot of what that client believes in.

I suppose it's a typical 'grey area' and 'fine line' between full freedom of expression/opinion and censorship/silencing of opinions, though the former, whilst the most desirable in most cases, ultimately carries responsibilities at the same time.

But nevertheless, simply 'chastising' the autism out of affected individuals is just plain wrong, especially in these more enlightened times of the 21st Century. Such things ultimately deserve to be left in the past where they belong.

BlueIris
04-01-23, 11:15
What's your take on the Andrew Tate situation, Lenco?

I'm hoping he's going to be locked up out of the public eye for a while.

Lencoboy
04-01-23, 16:33
What's your take on the Andrew Tate situation, Lenco?

I'm hoping he's going to be locked up out of the public eye for a while.

I've never actually heard of him/it BI, but sounds a bit ominous whatever it is.

BlueIris
04-01-23, 16:37
Basically the guy's just a very, very poor role model.

He tangled with Greta Thunberg over the holidays and bit off more than he could chew, it was glorious.

Lencoboy
04-01-23, 16:53
Basically the guy's just a very, very poor role model.

He tangled with Greta Thunberg over the holidays and bit off more than he could chew, it was glorious.

I did actually dare to check him out on Wikipedia, and he's certainly an odious, lying, corrupt barsteward alright, who seems untouchable.

What I can't understand is that one minute he had extreme far right racist views, then owned up to converting to Islam, whose faith isn't necessarily bad overall, but unfortunately best known for the wrong reasons (e.g, certain extremist factions who seem to revel in terrorism, such as Jihad, ISIS, etc). All a bit odd IMO.

But I couldn't find any mention of ASD in his Wikipedia article, neither any mention of as to whether or not he himself is on the spectrum, nor as to whether or not he's been involved in any Autie-bashing in general, thank God!

Nevertheless, something should be done about gobsh1te toerags like him who seem to believe they're invincible and centre of the universe! Plus Greta actually told that loser where to go!

BlueIris
04-01-23, 17:00
Nope, he's not ASD.

Greta Thunberg is, though :)

Scass
04-01-23, 17:20
He definitely is awful. Worse than awful.
It’s going to take a long time for boys to unlearn the things that he has taught them.

BlueIris
04-01-23, 17:22
That's what terrifies me, Scass. He's pathetic, but he has such a hold over young men.

pulisa
04-01-23, 17:34
He preys on the vulnerable who are easy to indoctrinate. He's "attractive" to them in a perverse and warped way. My son is fascinated by his repulsiveness but I really don't want him to spend time "researching" him and his antics but he can't seem to stop himself. Be careful, Lenco. Don't let him trigger you?

Lencoboy
04-01-23, 18:05
He preys on the vulnerable who are easy to indoctrinate. He's "attractive" to them in a perverse and warped way. My son is fascinated by his repulsiveness but I really don't want him to spend time "researching" him and his antics but he can't seem to stop himself. Be careful, Lenco. Don't let him trigger you?

Andrew Hate can go and do one as far as I'm concerned.

Freedom of expression my backside in his case!

Thank God he isn't an MP or whatever (a la Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson, etc). Anyway, that client in question at my day centre, while he gets on my wick whenever I have the misfortune to bump into him on the rare occasions I attend and he happens to be present, he's a walk in the park compared to what I've read about Andrew Hate.

But could very well have been 'brainwashed' by him (Andrew Hate, that is).

pulisa
04-01-23, 18:52
I would advise giving him a wide berth, Lenco.

Lencoboy
05-01-23, 00:42
I would advise giving him a wide berth, Lenco.

I definitely will, as I've got no time whatsoever for conniving losers like him.

I've also got no time for those who seem to make pathetic excuses for both him and others of his ilk, all lazily in the name of free speech/expression. Plus that other 'Andrew' I despise with a passion!

Don't get me wrong; it's not that I don't believe in freedom of expression as a whole per se, but more in the sense that it's often liable to misuse by quite a number of individuals often with cunning and dubious agendas, which is where the line needs to be drawn, but sadly often isn't.