PDA

View Full Version : Back Aginst The Wall - Med Failure Again

Sit2Know
11-08-10, 18:13
After over three years of anxiety hell that has brought me to near 100% disability I gave up and agreed to take Doxepin and old but well regarded antidepressant. It is supposed to have an immediate anti-anxiety effect. And unlike the SSRI and others it does not put you through hell to get on it.

So now the morning after I have all the horrid anxiety symptoms I had and am intoxicated and depressed from the damn drug. I took a pediatric (Childs) dose and it is still whacking me with sedation.

So now I am more hopeless - I was so anxiety symptom tortured (mostly physical symptoms) I took the drug option I hated. I can't go back to how bad I was and every drug I have tried over the years made me worse. Hell even supplements made me worse!!

I had severe anxiety at 19 and then had over 20 years almost anxiety free. Then with my own company I allowed myself to get too tired and too run down and had a major mis-diagnosis of a medical problem that scared me back into anxiety....so here I am 3 years later, once a captain of my own life...international traveling, socializing and living life to the fullest and now I can't hardly make myself a sandwich or have 10 seconds of peace (or sleep).

I have tried natural things, recovery programs and so much more.....I don't see any new options and could really use some help !!

Thanks for reading

James

Dahlia
11-08-10, 18:38
Hi James

My understanding is that Doxepin is a tricyclic AD - which means it can take up to a month to actually start working. The immediate anti-anxiety effect you are referring to is the sedation you are feeling - which may pass with time. You may feel a bit strange for the first couple of weeks, but perhaps it's worth seeing through a 4-6 weeks trial to see whether the med actually helps you?

Dahlia