PDA

View Full Version : Do my dreams mean anything?

dbeightytwo
11-08-10, 18:31
I have had a dream a number of times now and am wondering if it has any specific meaning.
I wouldn't say it's a reacurring dream as it's always months apart. Anyway,its usually me finding myself in a violent situation where I have to fight, when I throw a punch it's like I'm putting my all into it but when it impacts its barely a tap
The other dream which I have had that bothers me was a couple of months ago or thereabouts.
I find myself waking up (in the dream), laying on my front in bed and I am being held down by somebody, no matter how hard I try to fight back I cannot move.
This repeated a few times.
When I woke up I sat up in a panic and turned on my light. I was actualy thinking there's somebody in my flat.
Does this mean I feel weak minded, or maybe its a personification of my battle with anxiety.
Any ideas?

Dan.

Dahlia
11-08-10, 18:34
It sounds like a perosnification of your anxiety - you putting up a fight. Other common dreams at times of anxiety are teeth getting loose and falling out, and thinking you have an exam that you haven't revised for.

Dahlia

BritTutor
11-08-10, 18:40

Vanilla Sky
11-08-10, 18:46
Yes it does sound like a battle with your anxiety and you are weak to it . In your waking mind keep saying to yourself the next time i have that dream i am going to fight it of and win. You will be amazed when you discover that it will have an effect on the dream ......
I know because a therapist told me to do this when i had a re occuring dream. It was about a house i used to live in and i would have the same dream over and over that i was looking for something in a cupboard lol . So she said the put it into my waking mind that the next time i have the dream , i must close the cupboard door and walk out of the house for good ... which i did ... and it worked ! That was over 10 years ago and ive never had the dream since ..... :D

Paige x

Sit2Know
11-08-10, 19:14
Our brains do not encode information with words so all the days information has to be reprocessed into feelings and electrical patterns. As the hippocampus encodes information it chooses to remember our brains can create stories to go along with the neural processing.

There is also a two way dialog between our unconscious and our conscious awareness to allow all the information to be stored. In that process we can get glimpses of unconscious information - often skewed or played as a distorted mind video.

James

BritTutor
11-08-10, 19:17

Sit2Know
11-08-10, 20:47
9 years of college and post grad neurophysiology - now if I could just figure out why I am in this anxiey hole

dbeightytwo
12-08-10, 07:52
Thanks for all the responses.
I will try telling myself that I will win next time I have the dream.
paige, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.
Dahlia, I actually had a dream that a tooth fell out Tuesday night so that's good to learn.
How are you coping with things?
BritTutor, that sounds like a crazy dream, I'm not sure how I'd react to that. Probably a mixture of being freaked but more amused and probably rather confused.
James, any idea what's making you so anxious?
Thanks again everyone.

Take care.
Dan.

BritTutor
12-08-10, 11:21

ladybird64
12-08-10, 12:08
No offence Brit but then why not just say what you're thinking and leave out the sarcasm?

It's not really necessary is it? :shrug:

BritTutor
12-08-10, 12:17

Dahlia
12-08-10, 12:19
Brittutor - on SSRIs I have dreams that make your made-up one seem mild in comparison!

ladybird64
12-08-10, 12:27
That no one spotted it does make me wonder what kind of dreams you all have from time to time. :)

Ah, I couldn't possibly spill the beans as it might be too much for the forum..suffice to say some of them would be enough to make the eyes pop and the toes curl. :winks: :roflmao:

BritTutor
12-08-10, 12:27

ladybird64
12-08-10, 12:29
:D