PDA

View Full Version : Can't cry

lucyy_21
12-08-10, 00:45
Hi everyone! I've been on Citalopram for just about a year now and i can never/rarely cry. I've had the occasional teary drunken night but other then that nothing. I watch movies that used to leave me balling my eyes out for ages, and nothing. I don't even feel much sadness. I know obviously some people would see this as a good thing but i don't like feeling like a robot, numb all the time. Anyone else have/had the same experience? I'm on 30mg by the way. Be lovely to hear from you (:
I also find since taking them, my interest in most other things has gone down a lot aswell. I rarely get excited or particularly very happy, just numb.
Lucy x

suzy-sue
12-08-10, 17:07
This is a side effect of SSRIS .You may find when you lower your dose you will start to get your feelings back .Some find this happens .With the good feeling s also come the bad ones tho .A lot of people who used to get angry find they have a period of being angry as they gradually withdraw .Everything will return once you are off them .You also may find you become over emotional for a short time ,as the brain gets used to not having the drug in your system . In the meantime no smudged mascara and red eyes lol Sue x

lucyy_21
13-08-10, 13:42
oooh! I'm not coming off them anytime soon anyway so smudged mascara is a thing of the past ;) lol, Thanks Sue x

rachelb
15-08-10, 10:47
Yup - I used to cry at people getting voted off the x-factor, or the news or just totally randomly whilst working (quite embarrassing). So since being on citalopram, although I do feel less empathetic than I used to, I am actually really enjoying not crying all the time. I felt a little bad when my brother, who lives abroad so see about once a year, left the UK last week, and I didn't cry! Oops. But generally actually feel happier not crying.

stuboyz
16-08-10, 05:45
i dont get upset by the big things but little things i do

GlasgowGuy
16-08-10, 09:33
Sorry if I'm sounding morbid here. In past I was on Cit 40mg. Went to both my grandparents funerals and was fine. No emotions or crying. Wasn't on cit and went to an uncles funeral last year and was roaring and crying and wasn't close to him.

It may have been the cit or just frame of mind I was in.

Just my experience

YvonneBelle
17-08-10, 11:26
Same here, I used to cry at anything but now there is only one subject that will make me spring a few tears (where there used to be floods!) and I do feel a lot less sensitive in general. However, at the moment it's not bothering me but I'll be glad to come off them and get myself back fully once my life is back in order and things are back on track.

kate1987
21-08-10, 11:21
I'm totally like this, I can't remember the last time I cried been on citalopram for a year now am feel like i've turned into an ice queen!

trooper
21-08-10, 14:39
The other thing to bare in mind is that crying and sadness is one of the common symptoms of depression, which of course the CIT is treating you for.

Before I went on CIT a month ago, I was under so much pressure with my business I thought i was goign to go under and I found myself bursting into tears as soon as I walked in from work. Or even going out to get my lunch, as soon as I was alone.

I"m under the same pressure now, it just doesn't cause me to break down, I'm just getting on with it and working out to take the business forward.

YvonneBelle
21-08-10, 20:53
I take it back - blubbed yesterday. Not as much as I might have done before taking 20mg cit, but definately salty tears! I am still human after all... :winks:

RichW
23-08-10, 06:55
I cried for the first time in years yesterday. My wife and I have been having troubles in our relationship. I'm on 20mg of Citalopram and I was so upset yesterday that I was shocked by the sound of my heaving breath and sobs and let's not forget the river of tears! Not nice but somehow I'm still managing to keep it together. Trying to keep on moving forward.

Peace.

lucyy_21
23-09-10, 12:05
nice to know i'm not the only one then ! i go through stages of being 100% emotionless, even at the most upsetting things, to being an emotional wreck for a few days. i spose it must be the side effects, as you say citalopram is treatment for depression. sorry for the late reply everyone ! x

KATYB
23-09-10, 19:43
I too used to be an emotional wreck crying for no reason. Since being on Cit I've only cried once for about 30 seconds when I had some bad news a couple of weeks ago. I'm a bit worried it will look weird to my mum who doesn't know I'm on Cit' when the hardest times come, as of course to her I've only ever been an emotional person, the type who cries at weddings and babies being born and tv characters passing away/leaving shows! (I also was a wreck when my grandad passed away) I worry it'll seem too sus to her if I dont ever cry with everything going on.... only my middle sister knows, I just cannot burden my mum with my problems at the moment.... any advice will be gratefully received! thanx xxx

lucyy_21
27-09-10, 14:52
i know exactly what you mean, i used to be a right softy when it comes to films, weddings etc.
Maybe tell your mum your just trying to put on a brave face and you'll have your own little cry at home? I don't really know what else to suggest sorry darl xx