PDA

View Full Version : Breaking The Anxiety Loop ?

Sit2Know
12-08-10, 01:49
Doctors Can't agree. I have my trusted psychiatrist who moved 3,000 miles but still takes my calls and my new P doc and they can't agree on time of use for medication.

I have not taken anything for over 20 years but find my self in a 3+ year serious anxiety loop. I have given up and gone on one of the proven, fast acting, non-benzo anxiety medications, Doxepin. It can be taken in tiny doses, is not addicting and does not cause more anxiety on start up.

One doctor says just break the cycle, let the nerves calm down and go off in a week or two. The other one says take it for a year or two.

Has anyone used medications on a short term basis to break the cycle (anxiety loop) and did it work?

James

Bluebelle
12-08-10, 05:59
Hi James
Welcome to NMP !

I haven't used drugs short term. The only drug I used was citalopram and I was on that for 12 months.

I do understand the anxiety loop- in spells when I am experiencing less anxiety I am able to cast my eyes back onto situations that have previously caused and great deal of anxiety- and see the situation through calmer eyes.

The luxury of hindsight gives me insight into how my anxiety is triggered and subsequently spirals outs of control.

If I had the opportunity to try a short term drug run I would have for sure ! When I have a slight reprieve from this horrid anxiety it brings a calmness that I can use the next time my anxiety spirals out into a massive monster.

Maybe try the short stint of drugs and if this doesn't help go for something more long term. If you go for the longterm first you may never know if the short term would have worked !

becks xxx
12-08-10, 13:50
James, after suffering with anxiety and panic for many years ive finally realised what i needed to know all along. NOTHING will break this anxiety loop, the only person who can is yourself. This may really hit you and url probably think but i cant do this all by myself? well thats what i thought too, and yeah im still suffering badly but im slowly seeing this cycle break and slowly seeing myself back in control. Everyday i make sure i do something, even just a 20 minute walk everyday- u dont realise how much this will help you. I've been doing this for just over a week, no matter how u feel u haveeee to do this, whether you feel really good or really bad u have to make sure u keep this up. Last week i had a really good week, this week however ive been quite down and im not gonna lie, last week i thought i was close to recovery to come this week and thougth i was back at square one, i still kept things up and im still seeing progress. Try it, and this book really helped me too - at last a life, by paul david. google it :)

Clairalou
12-08-10, 14:06
Hi James :)

I too suffer from serious anxiety and health anxiety but I too have learned that the only person who can break the cycle is yourself! I have suffered so badly in the past and have been on various medications over the past few years and I have found that non work for long they give you slight relief but in a few months your body has become some used to them you need a higher an higher dose just to function you believe that they are working when really they are not they are just masking what's underneath. I'm not knocking meds they sometimes work really well for people but for me they didn't.
I came off all my meds in january this year and I did great until a few weeks ago when I had a few issues with my health an I started going down hill. I have now started to face my anxiety head on I know it's there and I know what it's doing but it will not beat me. I have bad days I'm sure you replied to one of my posts about my antibiotics but Look for reasurance instead of letting it consume me.

I'm always on this site looking for advice and I truely believe this is helping me, also I've been doing a lot my exercise taking a multi vitamin and eating better and i swear it's lifting my mood.

I'm here if ever you need someone to talk to :) just pm me!

Claire xxxx

Sit2Know
12-08-10, 14:19
Thanks Everyone - after two days on the drug I have all my old hideous symptoms and am drug sick....so it has not helped.

I am an absolute no drug person so I had to be really sick and suffering to try one.

I am scared to death but have to find another route - I am hoping to learn what others have done to recover drug free.

James