PDA

View Full Version : Taking diazepam

HunniBee
12-08-10, 13:27
Hello all,

I need some advice before I go ahead and get my prescription.

Im currently on 20mg cit and my doc gave me busprirone for the anxiety before the cit kicks in - these gavee such bad headaches I couldn't take them anymore but now he's prescribed 2mg of diazepam instead as and when I need them and im so scared to take them as my local gp prescribed them before and they made me feel alot more anxious and panicy and also doesn't help I OD'd on them only 2 weeks ago hence the cit.

My mum feels very strongly on the matter and im in a quandry of what to do.... Any help greatly appreciated!!

HB x

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 13:30
if you don't think they will help don't take them ,but they are good at relaxing you ,, but very addictive

HunniBee
12-08-10, 13:32
Yeh I heard they were but doc said they are not at jus a 2mg dose as and when...I just don't know what to do, such a pain!!

HB x

calm
12-08-10, 13:35
i am on cits 20mg yes i know yawn yawn i keep on repeating myself lol and i have diaz. if i need it like this morning.
you know wot hunnibee....on that dose my doc says its not addictive...and yes i guess if we were taking 3 a day everyday maybe...but then again i dont know im not a doctor.
but....for me...if they calm us down...then well...its upto you...but for me i take xxxx its not going to be forever is it - dont be scared and dont look for sideaffects i dont think there is any but there maybe....just if you need it take it...thats my advice some may not agree...but you do what you think xxxx
love tracey xxxxx sorry for waffling xxxx

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 13:39
Tracy even 2mg can be addictive i know i started on 2mg 3 years ago as weeks went past couldn't do without them ,,ended up taking 20mg a day ,,i had to come of them the withdrawals was horrendous,i was on only 2mg ,but when i didnt have themmy panic was worse ,,

calm
12-08-10, 13:40
sorry hunnibee..so you od'd on diaz. hmmmmm then i dont know sorry i didnt read that properly...so sorry - i cant seem to take things in that much at the moment so my sincere apologies...hmmmm its a dilemma xxxxx

suzy-sue
12-08-10, 13:40
2MG isnt a high dose and if you only take them when you absolutely need to ,they wont cause addiction .They will take the edge off until you start to calm down .You may feel a bit thirsty but the side effects are hardly noticeable on such a low dose .Sue x

calm
12-08-10, 13:42
ohhhhhh can they....see what do i know.....im abit of a mushroom!!!!
i had to take one today...not everyday...but today...i just had too....hopefully 2mrw i wont xxxx thank you for letting me know - this little mushroom so appreciates it xxxx

calm
12-08-10, 13:43
gypsywomen and suzy-sue...now i am confused.com lol xxxxx

suzy-sue
12-08-10, 13:56
Most Drs wont perscribe more than 2 weeks at time .Ive taken them a few times for various things .I never got addicted .Some days I was taking 2-3 ,but they are short term measure and you need to find other self help measures to combat the anxiety and not rely on them unless you absolutely have to .If you take them constantly for a month you will need to cut down on them ,as after this time dependance is likely .Hope that helps Tracy :D..luv Sue x

HunniBee
12-08-10, 13:56
Confusing information lol!! I guess if it's only as and when it should be ok, it's just not good when you first read up on something and others opinons and uses and they are bad. Yeh I did OD on diazepam and other things but that's in the past now, never going to happen again!! (feel so bad when I talk about it :( )

Guess it's just a case of trial and error.

HB x

calm
12-08-10, 14:00
hb....yes i know exactly wot you mean...these things are in the past - i have just downloaded on here today about the past...and what i did xxxx and you know wot...its somehow helped and the friends that answered were not judgemental at all xxxxxx

as i said i only take it if i am in desperate need...thinking of you xxxx you will come to the right decision xxxx

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 14:15
2MG isnt a high dose and if you only take them when you absolutely need to ,they wont cause addiction .They will take the edge off until you start to calm down .You may feel a bit thirsty but the side effects are hardly noticeable on such a low dose .Sue x
no 2mg on its own wont but when you have taken a couple if you dont take more you feel panicky,so you may need another 100s of people a testimony to how addictive they are ,but yes 1 maybe over a longer time not

suzy-sue
12-08-10, 15:15
They do have the pontential to be addictive and I did say so .Taking a couple doesnt lead to taking more ,I was Taking 5mg twice a day for two weeks and didnt have any problems coming off them .They are used for a quick fix nowadays ,and used sensibly will help .Years ago they were given for long term treatment because they were very effective ,they work straight away too .Because many people ,women more so ,became addicted they are no longer used in this way .Two weeks supply is usually all you get .Drs monitor very closley nowadays ,due to the high dependancy of prolonged use .So there is no chance of becoming addicted .4 weeks of continual use will cause dependancy ,but even at a low dose will require a taper of dosage .Although the discontinuation effect wont be severe or take any where as long as a long term / high dose user .No drugs either SSRIS ,Benzodiazepines ,or other drugs used for Anxiety/panic are going to cure you .Other self help methods and coping strategys are necessary for a lasting recovery . Benzos will help with the increased anxiety when you sart taking any Ssri /Snri ,This will usually only last 2-3 weeks so there is no risk of dependancy with the benzos .If you do take more than you should ,you will find it practically impossible to get any more from your Dr .Any Dr who is overperscribing these needs reporting in my opinion ..But on the other hand people need to be more responsible to their own misuse .Sue x

gypsywomen
12-08-10, 15:23
it was only 3 years ago i was given them by my doctor ,and i am not a person who becomes easily addicted to meds i don't take antidepressants for this reason ,,but when your anxiety is so bad it makes you immobile like it did me ,yes i was given more and my doctor is very strict giving meds ,, but i was very very ill .everyone is diff you will be fine and they do help

sharon35
12-08-10, 16:13
Ive got some diazipam but ive only taken a few over the last few weeks because they make me spaced out and they are only 2mg, but then again that could just be the anxity making me spaced out.

HunniBee
12-08-10, 20:09
I was thinking of only trying half before bed this evening...might be better than a whole one as I have to drive around 9am tomorrow morning...

Advisable??

HB x

jo61
16-08-10, 12:01
How did you get on? 1mg at bedroom shouldn't I imagine affect your driving next day. Tiny doses are very helpful in my opinion, taken as and when shouldn't cause any addiction. :)