PDA

View Full Version : Hens and Lice,help!!!!

yorkylover
12-08-10, 14:27
My hens have red mites quite common in hens.I have treated the coop and hens with red mite treatment yesterday,but have had to do it again today.
:ohmy:
Now I have found they have lice as well.Im itching all over !!!!!!:wacko:

Does anyone here know of any good treatments they have used on there hens please.

yorkylover
12-08-10, 17:13
I was told hens were easy to keep and therapeutic!!! I more bloody stressed now then before!!!!:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Worrier
12-08-10, 18:36
Oh Yorky, I don't know anything about it, BUT now I am all itchy lol.

nikk_dolittle
12-08-10, 18:55
HI there.

Hope this helps you.

What to do? Thorough cleaning of the house and surroundings is essential. Clean out thoroughly and dismantle if possible to expose hidden surfaces. Remove roofing felt or any insulation as the mites hide under it, consider replacing roof. The house can then be washed or sprayed with a Red Mite treatment, Poultry Shield is excellent. The powder treatments containing silica or Diatoms such as Agils Red Mite powder are also effective, the effect is not immediate so dont give up, it acts by abrading the shell and desiccating the little whatsits, and is safe for use on bird.

Ardap is an excellent spot treatment for red mite tratment, and can be used immediately. Vulcan powder also helps in the house, both are not recommended for on bird treatment.

A lot of products around are only deterrents, so read labels carefully before using. If a proper treatment is not available, even garden disisnfectant will help. Steam cleaners and heat guns will also help, but must be used with care and appropriate electrical safety guidlines followed. The life cycle of the Red Mite is 7-10 days, and they can live without feeding for 36 weeks, so constant vigilence is required. If buying a used house always treat before use.

PREVENTION. Regular cleaning and treatment and use of deterrent. Some people have 2 houses, one for summer and one for winter. When they moves the birds use creosote to treat the empty house. This gives the empty house 6 months to ventilate, with no red mites problem, thsi may be due to the creosote.

Bathing your birds also seems beneficial. A tub of warm water with an animal Tea tree oil shampoo in, and then a rinsing tub of clean warm water with a few drops of Tea tree oil works. Choose a warm day and have lots of help, they look pathetic afterwards but soon fluff up!!

Nikk xx

yorkylover
13-08-10, 00:05
O my god nikk you know loads!!!!!!!!!!:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

Thank you so much for advise,you have helped load's.I treated the coop yesterday and today and we have sealed all the crevasses, the hens got treated to so will see how thing's go.Im going to get some tonic for them as one looks pale and she stopped laying.

They are nasty little creature's and they made me itch all over.They have been treated for the mite's and lice.

How are you?:hugs::hugs::hugs:

nikk_dolittle
13-08-10, 09:45
Am glad I can help! :) As my name says it all!!!! :whistles:

With time You will clear it all and they will stop invading the hens.

I'm good thanks, How are you apart from itching?

Any think you need give me a shout, more then happy to help you. :hugs::hugs:

Nikk xxxx

yorkylover
13-08-10, 15:19
Hi Nikk,Im not so bad thanks.
One of my hens the one at the bottom of the pecking order.(I only have 3)looks very under weight.Is this due to the lice and mites do you think.Her breast bone sticks out alot more than the other's and she is very light and has stopped laying bless her.She seem's well in herself.

The other 2 always get to the food first as well,but food is always available.

She sleeps in the nest box and there was quite alot of the red mites in there!!!!!:hugs::hugs:

nikk_dolittle
13-08-10, 16:53
Hi Ellen.

If her comb is pale, chances are she is indeed being attacked at night by mites, despite the powder in the nest (they somehow find their way in) so a good delousing isn't a bad idea as well.

Keep giving her wetmash - add a drop or two of wheat germ oil to it every day and maybe even a teaspoon of corn/vegetable/canola oil to it as well every couple of days to try to put some weight on her. Canned catfood or even canned tuna is also a good way of supplementing protein (just rinse the tuna to reduce the salt), again, to help put on weight. Keep weighing her- she should come around soon. If you are supplementing protein, make sure she is drinking well, as extra protein can cause water loss.

Nikk xxx :hugs::hugs: