PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Vitamin B

StressedEric
14-08-10, 15:29
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice about taking Vitamin B complex. I've read some posts that some people are taking Vitamin B supplements to help with their anxiety. I have researched this and found that Vitmin Bs are stress hormones and that you made need to take supplments to boost levels of this vitamin if you are very anxious and this can help with the anx levels?

I know most supermarkets and health shops have Vit B complex tabs but don't know if I should be taking these with the cit, what is safe dose and should I go for timed release or "normal"?

I have been suffering from high anxiety for about 6 months now which is making me feel terrible. I am taking Citalopram which isn't doing a lot for me. Have started taking Inositol and also take Omega 3 fish oil tabs and now eating more fruit and veg to help. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Clairalou
14-08-10, 15:49
Hi i dont take vitamin b but i do take a multi vitamin and since ive been taking it i have been feeling alot better i guess it just levels everything out. I decided to go for a multi vit as i wasnt sure of doses of the vitamins on there own.

cwoz82
14-08-10, 16:18
Have to say vitamin B makes me feel sick! Used to take B complex years ago and started again a few months ago but had to stop for vomiting...anyone else found this?

Typer
14-08-10, 20:27
I was hoping to start Vit B as it is supposed to help the nervous system. Anyone know of a good brand (UK)

Sit2Know
15-08-10, 00:03
Many anxiety people find B vitamins too stimulating and actually cause anxiety. CQ10 is a definate no.

Eat egg yolks -- most of the B raw material now comes from China and is not tested for purity or safety. (virtually all the vit c is now Chinese)

James

emm
15-08-10, 09:12
Heya I would say the rule with. vitamins is that you get what you pay for. cheaper brands tend to have fillers like talc in them. vitamin b is water soluble meaning once the body has enough it excretes it via your kidneys so is not toxic in large amounts. The best supply is always from tbd food you eat so why not alter your diet a bit. hope this helps x

peter34uk
15-08-10, 09:33
Why not just eat lots more fruit?

Typer
15-08-10, 10:48
I came across this article:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/foods-rich-vitamin-B12.htm

StressedEric
15-08-10, 12:11
Great article typer :)

Started to eat more fruit and veg and will be making more changes to my diet. I was worried if this was enough as been feeling awful with the anx. and concerned that my vit b levels may be low making me feel worse. :shrug: I will also be having a word with doc got appointment next Tuesday.

emm
15-08-10, 17:52
Blood tests can be done to check vit b levels. its called an iron study and if low an injection can be offered (if you can bare needles). x

StressedEric
15-08-10, 18:16
Blood tests can be done to check vit b levels. its called an iron study and if low an injection can be offered (if you can bare needles). x

Cheers maybe I'll ask the doc about having the test just to be on safe side.

cwoz82
16-05-11, 13:55
Have to confess i have been taking Berocca for a while now and I think it's fab. I used to get ill all the time between medications and the fact that depression and anxiety lower your immune system anyway and haven't been ill in a manner to cause me to be off work for 6 months, maybe more now. Even the annual cold/flu passed me by for the first winter in years...i'd recommend the orange flavour as it's lovely and very refreshing the morning.

heavenly
17-05-11, 10:59
I take 50mg B Complex from Holland and Barrett. I also take Omega 3 Fish Oils. I am on 25mg Citalopram for anxiety and depression. I am not sure if the vitamins are helping or not, I get some good weeks, then a couple of not so good weeks, but I am sticking with them at the moment.

Lilyblue
17-05-11, 11:16
I keep asking docs for a vitamin test as none of my food contain vitamins, but doc only gives me iron test, which is always low.
The vitamin tabs in shop are too big to swallow.
I took berroca for a month but made my wee turn orange (tmi) so i stopped, i wanna take them again,
I don't eat fruit or much veg, if only biscuits contained vitamins

joolz07
17-05-11, 11:54
clareblue,

have you tried Inositol? you may be able to manage this better as you can buy it in powder form and jsut drink it with water. psychopoet has a very good article about Inositol on this site. I think it can help. I have also been told (don't know how true it is) that taking berocca on a long term basis is not too good for you so maybe you did the right thing in stopping.

take care
Julie xx :hugs:

StressedEric
23-05-11, 00:20
I have started to take Vit B supplements now since my last post on this thread (Holland and Barrett Complete B vits) which also includes Inositol.

Didn't go for the iron test after - just managed by controlling what I eat but unfortunately recently haven't been really looking after myself and feeling quite jittery so trying these suppliments to boost my levels and see how I go. :winks:

Anxious_gal
23-05-11, 00:41
I eat cornflakes, I like them dry lol but they have added B vitamins :)
Thats the main reason I eat them .